Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 01:54 PM   #1
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers
Default [2005-05-05] BlackBerry is now the best selling PDA

Please Login to Remove!

The popularity of always-on E-mail enabled the BlackBerry to vault into the lead as the world's best-selling PDA in the first quarter of 2005.

http://informationweek.com/story/sho...leID=162101456
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 05-04-2005, 01:59 PM   #2
Jason_AB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: BOLD
Carrier: at&t
Talking

I love that..I bought stock in RIMM, I do belive everyone will have one of these babies in 5 years.

Kinda like the IBM spot...if you don't have the tech. you wait in line
Old 05-06-2005, 08:30 AM   #3
clonmult

Model: 7230

This is a very misleading headline though, as they do state in the article that it doesn't include smartphones.

Symbian/S60 and the Microsoft Smartphones are probably (as least with S60) massively ahead of any of the competition, at least with market share.

I'm a big BB fan, and as soon as you can get full BB/BES support on the S60/UIQ devices, then the market is pretty much tied up.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:17 PM   #4
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_AB
I love that..I bought stock in RIMM, I do belive everyone will have one of these babies in 5 years.
RIMM was a nice stock and still currently is, however its pretty much hit its limit and will most likely go nowhere but down within the next 6-8 months. I think everyone will have some form of the current "push" technology, but in 5 years, I don't expect to see RIM handhelds on the market anymore.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:22 PM   #5
tpblackberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: Tmobile

I disagree, I think by RIM releasing the 7100 series says that they are still here and there coming up with bigger/better things everyday. I think there also trying to say there's more coming in the future just by looking at the 7100's features.

Oh well, agree to disagree! Hehe, love that saying.

Tim
Old 05-07-2005, 05:30 PM   #6
amnesia
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7520

It will be interesting to see how the carrier based push systems and Microsoft's "Magneto" OS effect this.

Seems like everyone has a case of the push-me pull-me's.....which will bring us back to the interface differentiator.....

cheers!
Old 05-07-2005, 07:13 PM   #7
dulcamara
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9810
Carrier: ATT
Default Why buy RIM?

I went wtih a 7100g instead of a Treo 650 mostly because of the build quality. The 2nd factor was that the camera-free Treo is a few months off. I'm on BWC (semi-push email), and after two weeks like that a lot better than what the Treo has now, and may go with a hosted BES.

Most Pocket PCs and palm products generate complaints about build quality on howardforums, and the pocket PCs that interest me are much heavier than my 7100. If RIM keeps building things like the 7100, they'll have me as a customer for a long time.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:10 AM   #8
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulcamara
Most Pocket PCs and palm products generate complaints about build quality on howardforums, and the pocket PCs that interest me are much heavier than my 7100. If RIM keeps building things like the 7100, they'll have me as a customer for a long time.
I have a MDAII PocketPC on T-Mobile and a BB 7290 on Cingular. The BB seems less fragile. Before I bought e-grips I dropped it from while getting it from the belt case a few times, not even a scratch.

As for my MDAII, I carry that in my top shirt pocket without a case. It has fell to the floor numerous times on hard surfaces as I would bend to pick up something. I've dropped it onto sidewalks, streets, etc. when taking it out of my pocket. Each time it exploded, that is a battery door here, the SD card there. But I was able to put it all back together again and it worked perfectly, surprised me.

IMHO, RIM will keep improving on their handhelds and continue to gain market share. They'll always release a version of BB Connect that does just enough to get people to buy it, but lacks features of the BB handheld. My personal experience is, from our IT department, there doesn't seem to be anything that offers the security and ease (central) of management they get from BB. They even dropped plans to develop PocketPC VPN. I like the PocketPC so much better but it look like the BB is going to be with me for quite some time.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:20 AM   #9
mmb403

Model: 7250

[QUOTE=mgerbasio] there doesn't seem to be anything that offers the security <-- This is the reason my company also chooses BB over other devices and why it will probably remain a contender for a long time to come.
Closed Thread