Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 11:05 AM   #1
fizzleation
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T
Default This is getting rediculous

Please Login to Remove!

It began with me receiving private messages asking for beta software, which we all (should?) know is against forum rules. Then people began going to my website and sending me emails there. Now people are finding me on facebook and asking. It is sad and pathetic that people will actually go to stalker-esque lengths to find beta software. You need to reevaluate your entire life if it means that much.

I am authorized to have this software, 99% of you are not an for numerous good reasons that I will not go into. I disclosed that I have beta software in an effort to help members of this forum. This admission has been met with greed and selfishness.

There needs to be something done about this ASAP. I have been forced to lock down my facebook profile to the point where it is not searchable. I have begun ignoring the email at to my website. I am proposing some sort of formal system for reporting, or I will have to delete my account here.

Any suggestions short of a restraining order would be very welcome. Thank you

-Samuel
Old 06-11-2008, 11:08 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

All the things you have done seem good, and reasonable. I don't think a restraining order is quite appropriate for this situation, either.

You might remove the invitation in your signature. Sort of like an attractive nuisance.

If you will let one of the mods know of any PMs you receive, we can take care of that on our end. Glad to help.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:13 AM   #3
fizzleation
Thumbs Must Hurt

I actually just added that in my signature this morning in a last ditch effort... but yeah, seems like a bad idea in retrospect. Thanks for your help JS
Old 06-11-2008, 11:14 AM   #4
customshopkv1
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (from the bathroom)

That sucks, but what else can you do?
Old 06-11-2008, 11:28 AM   #5
GT5L
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: askme

Wirelessly posted (bb8320TMO)

I say enroll those who ignore your request to be left alone in as many spam mailing lists as you can
Old 06-11-2008, 02:16 PM   #6
justajason
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

I say start throwing rocks! JK. What I don't understand is, these people are smart enough to hunt you down on every avenue, wasting time badgering you over it. But they don't have the common sense to use google. It just blows me away. Reminds me of a lazy stylist that I used to work with, that wanted someone else to sweep their hair after they made the money from the service. Just lazy. I have had zero problems finding the beta's. although they are buggy as heck, they still want them to say they had them first.I can't stand that kind of attitude. Eventually the OS will be official, and we will all have a copy. But I fear that the response will be the same as the betas. Lots of bugs, and we'll be the one trying to fix them.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:50 PM   #7
ajdaniel
Knows Where the Search Button Is

...i think someone just wants to feel important...
Old 06-11-2008, 05:06 PM   #8
Obsidiank
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

use the delete button...
Old 06-11-2008, 06:19 PM   #9
7100simpleisbetter
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8120
PIN: Cushion
Carrier: TMobile

use an alias and don't self promote your personal stuff.....or get two accounts one for unnecessary self promotion and another to tell people that you have the latest OS and we don't...then you can ignore all the PMs that come in on that account!!!
Old 06-11-2008, 08:08 PM   #10
santo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers

Beta software is normally given under a non-disclosure agreement. While you may be authorized, this basically means you're not supposed to tell anyone under penalty of losing the privilege, at the very least. It should remain confidential between you and the entity that gave it to you.

My suggestion... don't talk about it.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:11 PM   #11
fizzleation
Thumbs Must Hurt

It really isn't "unnecessary self promotion", it is putting a link in my signature. I should be able to do that without pathetic basement dwellers trying to track me down online. Clearly, I underestimated how important the validation of having a piece of software to whine about is.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:21 PM   #12
fizzleation
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo View Post
Beta software is normally given under a non-disclosure agreement. While you may be authorized, this basically means you're not supposed to tell anyone under penalty of losing the privilege, at the very least. It should remain confidential between you and the entity that gave it to you.

My suggestion... don't talk about it.
I only lent help to fellow forum members. I never brought up that I was authorized to have it until this thread. And thanks for telling me about things you assumed I signed. Mod, feel free to shut down the thread at this point. My bad.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:31 PM   #13
santo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzleation View Post
I only lent help to fellow forum members. I never brought up that I was authorized to have it until this thread. And thanks for telling me about things you assumed I signed. Mod, feel free to shut down the thread at this point. My bad.
The help was appreciated and I just lent some friendly advise. People won't spontaneously ask you for beta software. Perhaps you forgot about this post. While it makes no difference to me, perhaps RIM should reconsider their beta practices if you didn't sign anything.

Please go ahead and close. I think the point was made.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:34 PM   #14
DacyJ

Model: 9000
PIN: g Bomb!
Carrier: The Newest AT&T

I would just PM a Moderator with the names and see if they would do something about it.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:50 PM   #15
fizzleation
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo View Post
The help was appreciated and I just lent some friendly advise. People won't spontaneously ask you for beta software. Perhaps you forgot about this post. While it makes no difference to me, perhaps RIM should reconsider their beta practices if you didn't sign anything.

Please go ahead and close. I think the point was made.
Good catch, didn't even remember that. That was a poor decision. But even then, can we all agree that the behavior of certain members is out of line? What sparked my decision to say anything was to a)see if it was happening elsewhere and b) see what I could do to make it stop, regardless of any comments I have made. I have contributed in a way I like to think was productive (outside of this thread), and to have my transparency backfire sort of sucks. I can tell you I violated no contractual agreements in the process. I wanted to help with the transition in OS, but I'm done with that.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:14 PM   #16
John Clark
BBF Moderator

PIN: s & needles

It's just one of those things that happens when you have what others are interested in. Be it knowledge, software, hardware, etc. I get many PM's every day asking for help with this and that. I can't answer them all. Seriously, I could take much of my time answering PM's. To be quite honest, I have to just ignore many of them.

Your contributions are appreciated here...just ignore the PM's and delete the emails. If it becomes a problem just PM one of the mods and we can help.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:26 PM   #17
skottema
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I would just get over it. Seriously do you really care that much that people sent you PMs and emails? You sound like the girl at the bar who gets annoyed when guys hit on her, but would actually be mad if no one paid attention to her.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:30 PM   #18
DacyJ

Model: 9000
PIN: g Bomb!
Carrier: The Newest AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by skottema View Post
I would just get over it. Seriously do you really care that much that people sent you PMs and emails? You sound like the girl at the bar who gets annoyed when guys hit on her, but would actually be mad if no one paid attention to her.
No its just annoying when people are PM'ing, Emailing. and getting on his website trying to find a Beta OS. Name calling and talking **it isn't called for whenever he was courteous in his post about his problem.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:32 PM   #19
John Clark
BBF Moderator

PIN: s & needles

Yes. Please stop PMing people asking for betas. It's against forum rules and can result in your being banned from posting on this forum.

Thread closed as it's no longer constructive.
Closed Thread