BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 04:32 PM   #241
Jam9258

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

I am having the same promblem, I followed the directions to set up my Blackberry as a modem and it says its connected and receiveing as well as sending. But when I attempt to open IE and view sites it gives me a HTML ERROR and it says also $messages$. Any help would be appreciated Greatly..
Old 07-28-2008, 12:29 PM   #242
sactoroy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: P
Carrier: T
Question Roaming in BC

From what I have read on this forum, it looks like this would not work if I were to try it in Vancouver BC. That is, I would be billed a roaming charge. Can anyone confirm this? My T-Mobile account is in the US.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:41 PM   #243
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Yes, you would be billed roaming data. I wouldn't do it.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:21 PM   #244
flat7
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Default Roaming data in Canada

John is right, the roaming data charges add up quick as I have learned from experience!
Old 08-20-2008, 12:01 AM   #245
curtcon

Carrier: sprint
Default Sprint users

Well it took some messing around and I tried everything to get this to work on my sprint phone. I checked it over and over again.

instead of putting in the

+cgdcont=1,,"wap.voicestream.com"

I left it blank and it worked the first time I tried it! I am on here thru my phone now, how sweet! Thank you much for all the info
Old 08-20-2008, 12:10 AM   #246
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Makes sense...that string is for TMobile.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:24 AM   #247
sandfarner

This is way cool! I am behind times I suppose and just studied this thread and was able to get my pearl hooked up as a modem and I'm on at&t. Just made the adjustments described, tried a few combinations and viola I'm on!
Old 06-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #248
binderbound

Model: 8120
Carrier: Tmo

Dragging up an old thread....

I tethered my 8120 to my brand new notebook and it work flawlessly for about 3 days. Then it stopped working. I checked all my settings, everything looked the same as always. I started digging a little deeper and my modem was reporting errors when I queried it. So question 1, my modem error is actually my phone since its like an external modem?

I was getting error 633, 630, 629 mostly. A bunch of time on the phone with HP got me no where. I took the notebook back to best buy and got a new one cuz I was seriously tired of the run around and hassle. It was irritating to put it lightly.

Now, my new notebook. It won't recognise the connection at all. It won't even attempt to connect. I click connect in the start window and it instantly goes to the could not connect window. I NEED this connection to work. I'm following the set up procedure to the 'T'. My desktop manager is the newest. All my windows updates are current. The BB is connecting fine. No problems in the physical connection. I'm at a loss. Really.

Any help, suggestions, thoughts?

Also, I'm using vista.

Thanks!

TracTracTor Offroad
Old 06-11-2009, 11:11 PM   #249
MyPearl
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700

would recommend unstinalling the desktop manager and reinstalling it again. also, go for the latest version from earlier this year. can be found on rim's site. i have a feeling your modem got messed up so if this is the case, it might help.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:33 PM   #250
binderbound

Model: 8120
Carrier: Tmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPearl View Post
would recommend unstinalling the desktop manager and reinstalling it again. also, go for the latest version from earlier this year. can be found on rim's site. i have a feeling your modem got messed up so if this is the case, it might help.
Well, my notebook was brandnew. I turned it on for the first time this morning. First thing I did was download the DT manager from T-Mobile. Are you saying that RIM's version is newer or better than the Tmobile download? Also, I did uninstall and then reinstall it when I first started having trouble. I can try again, I guess.

Thanks!

TracTracTor Offroad
Old 06-21-2009, 11:33 PM   #251
lesmeiam

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

Does this only work for tmobile users? I'm on Sprint...would it work for me?
Old 06-21-2009, 11:42 PM   #252
clumpymold

Model: 8320

I followed the instructions to a T last night and it worked perfectly! I had to use the second string though. Awesome!!!
Old 06-23-2009, 02:03 AM   #253
a_abhijit

Carrier: Airtel

Has Anyone tried this in India...the carrier is Airtel in Pune City ??
If yes....please post the details.

Thank you.

Last edited by a_abhijit; 06-23-2009 at 02:59 AM..
Old 07-03-2009, 10:55 PM   #254
mannyopolis

Model: Pearl

I haven't been able to get this going yet?? Basically I can't get the modem quarried and error 633 keeps coming up... can anyone help me???
Old 07-04-2009, 11:06 AM   #255
mannyopolis

Model: Pearl

To be more specific... I go to the phone and modem.. choose standard modem (com4)... properties... diagnostics...query modem.. it says (the port that the modem is using is currently open by another application. Exit any application that may currently be using the port)....... can someone help me find it???
Old 08-01-2009, 04:54 PM   #256
JMcCrackenBerryBooBoo

Model: 8110
Default Successful tethering of 8110 in Windows 7

I have a Blackberry 8110 (ATT carrier), desktop software version 5.0, my laptop runs Windows 7, its a toshiba satellite P305D-S8829 (AMD Turion Dual Core with 3GB RAM)...It is poosible to tether the two together.

The first step is to install desktop software version 5.0 on your system, i know that this will work for anyone running windows 7. Tethering wouldnt work with previous versions of the desktop software. I do know that desktop software version 4.5 would work in Vista with the phone model I have.

Second step after desktop s/w install is to set up the modem with the proper settings. There is no need to install a softmodem, the desktop s/w install will do that for you...Go to Control Panel > Phone and Modem, click on the Modems tab... If you do not see a Standard Modem there, reinstall the desktop software...If it is there, it should be attached to COM4, highlight the modem and click the properties tab... A new window will appear, in that window, click the modem tab and verify port speed is 115200, then click the diagnostics tab (ensure your phone is connected, and the desktop mgr is running) then click on the Query Modem button and wait for results, if it comes back without errors, continue, if it comes back with an error, reinstall the desktop software... Moving on, as long as there was no errors in querying the modem, click on the Advanced tab, and add this string (AT+cdgcont=1,"IP","wap.cingular") to the extra initialization string line. Dont be stupid and use the pararenthesis. After you enter the string, hit ok twice til the windows close out of the modem properties.

Step Three - creating a new connection... This can be done from the Network and Sharing center. Open the Network and Sharing Center and click on the link to set up a new connection. Select the first item, connect to the Internet. Choose a dial-up connection. Specify it to use the Standard Modem. Use *99# as the number, no username or password. Be sure to deselect use hardware flow control.

At this point your phone modem should work. Click connect to a network from Network and Sharing Center. Select the connection you just created and go! Happy surfing!

Old 08-01-2009, 04:54 PM   #257
JMcCrackenBerryBooBoo

Model: 8110
Default Successful tethering of 8110 in Windows 7

I have a Blackberry 8110 (ATT carrier), desktop software version 5.0, my laptop runs Windows 7, its a toshiba satellite P305D-S8829 (AMD Turion Dual Core with 3GB RAM)...It is poosible to tether the two together.

The first step is to install desktop software version 5.0 on your system, i know that this will work for anyone running windows 7. Tethering wouldnt work with previous versions of the desktop software. I do know that desktop software version 4.5 would work in Vista with the phone model I have.

Second step after desktop s/w install is to set up the modem with the proper settings. There is no need to install a softmodem, the desktop s/w install will do that for you...Go to Control Panel > Phone and Modem, click on the Modems tab... If you do not see a Standard Modem there, reinstall the desktop software...If it is there, it should be attached to COM4, highlight the modem and click the properties tab... A new window will appear, in that window, click the modem tab and verify port speed is 115200, then click the diagnostics tab (ensure your phone is connected, and the desktop mgr is running) then click on the Query Modem button and wait for results, if it comes back without errors, continue, if it comes back with an error, reinstall the desktop software... Moving on, as long as there was no errors in querying the modem, click on the Advanced tab, and add this string (AT+cdgcont=1,"IP","wap.cingular") to the extra initialization string line. Dont be stupid and use the pararenthesis. After you enter the string, hit ok twice til the windows close out of the modem properties.

Step Three - creating a new connection... This can be done from the Network and Sharing center. Open the Network and Sharing Center and click on the link to set up a new connection. Select the first item, connect to the Internet. Choose a dial-up connection. Specify it to use the Standard Modem. Use *99# as the number, no username or password. Be sure to deselect use hardware flow control.

At this point your phone modem should work. Click connect to a network from Network and Sharing Center. Select the connection you just created and go! Happy surfing!

Old 08-18-2009, 12:33 PM   #258
FiyaStarta

PIN: oOo
Carrier: t-mobile

I use my cell as a modem with my laptop. I have notice, since my recent OS upgrade to 4.5 from 4.2; that it has DRAMATICALLY improved the the internet speed. I have the unlimited data plan, it's actually like 24.99 though
Old 09-07-2009, 11:46 PM   #259
rjaylo

Carrier: Tmobile

I have OS 4.2 as my bb desktop manager. Could this be the reason I am not getting this to work with my Vista PC? I followed every direction 3x and still isnt working for me.
Tmobile account.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:59 AM   #260
clumpymold

Model: 8320

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjaylo View Post
I have OS 4.2 as my bb desktop manager. Could this be the reason I am not getting this to work with my Vista PC? I followed every direction 3x and still isnt working for me.
Tmobile account.
It's because Vista sucks.