Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 02:58 PM   #21
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

Please Login to Remove!

Ok good. Just making sure. Can never be too careful these days.

Pick a calendar events that's been duplicated. Is it a straight duplication or like I mentioned in my previous post, was there something else that was added by a program thus causing a seemingly singular event to be two separate ones that look similar?

Yes, if you do the desktop-to-BB one-way sync (remember to hit refresh when you select the one-way sync option) should replace EVERYTHING with the data from the desktop's version.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:10 PM   #22
winger13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimix View Post
Ok good. Just making sure. Can never be too careful these days.

Pick a calendar events that's been duplicated. Is it a straight duplication or like I mentioned in my previous post, was there something else that was added by a program thus causing a seemingly singular event to be two separate ones that look similar?

first, I am not running anything against my Outlook data other than the BB Desktop manager. I would not even know where to start looking because if I opened a few (three) meeting notices, there is normally agenda's and thht sort of thing in the Callendar Item. I see both dupes occuring in meeting with start/stop times as well as all day events (like self reminders I put as all day events)
Old 03-07-2009, 03:28 PM   #23
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

So the duplicates you've looked at so fare are completely the same?
Old 03-07-2009, 03:35 PM   #24
winger13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
So the duplicates you've looked at so fare are completely the same?
as far as I know.

I did the initial two way sync w/ the BB brand new late last night. then about three or four subsequest syncs. This morning, I read your post above about changing one mtg's subject line (on the PC?) and syncing again, so I did was inspired to do the same.

That's when I noticed the duplicates. The dupes may have been there already, just I did not notice until this morning.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:50 PM   #25
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

I think at this current stage, you might consider a one-way sync so everything is equal on your BB and Outlook desktop.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:59 PM   #26
winger13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
I think at this current stage, you might consider a one-way sync so everything is equal on your BB and Outlook desktop.
I just completed the one way sync (from Desktop to BB), with the following option checked "Replace all data in target application"

I also asked DM to sync 45 days in the past and 750 days into the future (little over 2 yrs out) - most of the stuff past 1 year from today are recurring meetings, no biggies.

Hmmm, I STILL see most if not all are being duplicated. Funny, the ONE item not duplicated is the one I meeting updated the subject line this morning.

One thing you mentioned above was to 'don't forget to refresh - what did you mean?' Maybe I missed a step.

Last edited by winger13; 03-07-2009 at 04:00 PM..
Old 03-07-2009, 04:08 PM   #27
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

When you choose to do a one-way sync, there should be a refresh box nearby that you can check.

Refresh: If you are importing files, select Refresh to replace all records in one application with records from the main application. If you are exporting files, select Refresh to replace all records from one application with records from the other application.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:11 PM   #28
winger13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
When you choose to do a one-way sync, there should be a refresh box nearby that you can check.

Refresh: If you are importing files, select Refresh to replace all records in one application with records from the main application. If you are exporting files, select Refresh to replace all records from one application with records from the other application.
so this option I checked is not it?
"Replace all data in target application"

You know what, is it worth doing a one way sync with my WIFE's PST for Calendar since it is empty at this point...and work from there?

Last edited by winger13; 03-07-2009 at 04:16 PM..
Old 03-07-2009, 04:13 PM   #29
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Hmmm refresh might be something on my version of BB DM (4.2 SP2). But it sounds like the same thing as your "Replace all data in target application."

Do you see any duplicates in your Outlook?
Old 03-07-2009, 04:19 PM   #30
winger13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Hmmm refresh might be something on my version of BB DM (4.2 SP2). But it sounds like the same thing as your "Replace all data in target application."

Do you see any duplicates in your Outlook?
No duplicates yet. did you see that other post where the follow is seeing same issue as me with DM 4.3 but reversed with DM version 4.6 ? I rather have my BB messed up than my main PST file on the desktop.

Maybe I will try your verison 4.2 SP2 first. Where can I find this?

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ml#post1311304

BTW - need attend to a family issue the rest of the day, so I'll catch up later tonight or likely tomorrow morning

Last edited by winger13; 03-07-2009 at 04:21 PM..
Old 03-07-2009, 04:26 PM   #31
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Yes I did see the other post in the Curve forum.

You can get any version of BB desktop manager at https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22
though honestly I don't think it should make a difference. You have a more recent version as well, so if anything it should be better.

This is a bit puzzling, because if there are no duplicates in your Outlook and you are doing a one-way sync from Outlook to your BB, your BB should reflect the same info.

Here's another idea: in BB DM, go to Backup/Restore>Advanced and in the right column under Device Database, find calendar and select clear. Then do a one-way sync again.

BTW, dont know if you mentioned it earlier or not, but is the duplicate issue just for calendar -- did you sync your address book over without problems?
Old 03-08-2009, 12:04 AM   #32
winger13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yes I sync'd tasks, memo and contacts. First two are very little but I have over 2200 contacts. From as far as I can tell, I do not have dupe contacts on the bb.

When I get home tomorrow, I will try that dm version 4.7 that the member mentioned at that other thread and try the one way sync-from pc to bb.

Yes, I will try your device db clearing option as well. Thanks for the idea, I did not think/know about that

Quote:
Yes I did see the other post in the Curve forum.

You can get any version of BB desktop manager at https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22
though honestly I don't think it should make a difference. You have a more recent version as well, so if anything it should be better.

This is a bit puzzling, because if there are no duplicates in your Outlook and you are doing a one-way sync from Outlook to your BB, your BB should reflect the same info.

Here's another idea: in BB DM, go to Backup/Restore>Advanced and in the right column under Device Database, find calendar and select clear. Then do a one-way sync again.

BTW, dont know if you mentioned it earlier or not, but is the duplicate issue just for calendar -- did you sync your address book over without problems?
Old 03-08-2009, 01:09 AM   #33
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Ok good. Sounds like the issue is just associated with the calendar only.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:16 PM   #34
winger13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Results: After Update to DM v4.7.0.32, BB v4.5.0.131

OK. I updated both DM and BB's OS. Then, I started with a one-way sync of the Calendar data from the Desktop's Outlook to BB.

I then changed settings to sync both ways.

Results - all looks good, no dupes! I will report back this coming week on how things go after I take my BB and update all it's data to my work's Outlook. I will first delete all of my work's appts, contacts, memos, and tasks before doing a one-way sync from the BB TO the Desktop Outlook to get things started.

Here are some details about my setup:

- Calendar set to sync past 45 days and 750 days into the future.
- When processing the Desktop's Outlook Calendar, I see approx 5200 records processed
- When processing the BB's Calendar, I see approx 285 records processed

ONE complaint - WHY DOES IT TAKE SO LONG to sync (as compared to Palm Desktop (on a much older laptop and older handheld) an Activesync ) ???

For BB DM, for EACH Task, Contacts, Memo, and Calendar, it runs through ALL items on both Desktop Outlook AND BB BEFORE it does anything. This takes ALOT of time.

Anyone have a work around (beside deleting older data - archiving - from the Desktop Outlook).

Thanks.

Last edited by winger13; 03-08-2009 at 08:19 PM..
Old 03-08-2009, 08:23 PM   #35
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Glad to hear it's working for you. So you redid the syncs after upgrading to another version of BB DM? Makes me wonder what didn't work in the first place.

It takes long because of the amount of data you have and maybe cause it's the first time you've done the sync. It should get faster. I've noticed my sync now is much quicker unless I select a re-sync option which then goes onto look through every individual record.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:01 PM   #36
winger13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Glad to hear it's working for you. So you redid the syncs after upgrading to another version of BB DM? Makes me wonder what didn't work in the first place.

It takes long because of the amount of data you have and maybe cause it's the first time you've done the sync. It should get faster. I've noticed my sync now is much quicker unless I select a re-sync option which then goes onto look through every individual record.
Hmmm, not sure if this will ever faster. I sync'd two times (initial one way sync of calendar, then with two-way-sync option) already and it seems takes same sweet time both times.

I will take another try later if I have time.

Another question: At home, since my PST files are on a file server, can I install BB DM on each computer at home and for both my BB AND my wife's BB sync ? In other words, does the DM manager store important sync info on the PC it resides on? If yes, I would think the answer to my question will be "NO"

I use to be able to do this with Palm syncs as there was NOTHING (except profile names) stored on the computer where the Palm Desktop ran.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:31 PM   #37
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger13 View Post
Another question: At home, since my PST files are on a file server, can I install BB DM on each computer at home and for both my BB AND my wife's BB sync ? In other words, does the DM manager store important sync info on the PC it resides on? If yes, I would think the answer to my question will be "NO"

I use to be able to do this with Palm syncs as there was NOTHING (except profile names) stored on the computer where the Palm Desktop ran.
Honestly I have no idea about this. Sorry. You've reached the limit of my BB-Outlook sync knowledge haha.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:51 PM   #38
winger13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Honestly I have no idea about this. Sorry. You've reached the limit of my BB-Outlook sync knowledge haha.
Your knowledge is expansive, never-the-less.

I just tried another sync - 3rd try since the initial one-way (calendar PC-to-BB only) . BB DM still goes through each the Outlook (on server) and BB's Tasks, Calendar, Memos and Contacts before doing anything...it still seems slow, but maybe a tad faster (exactly 4 minutes just now for only one (1) calendar update) ...I will do a few more in the next few days.

Last edited by winger13; 03-08-2009 at 11:08 PM..
Old 03-09-2009, 12:23 AM   #39
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

If it's slow I think it might have to do with the amount of events you have on your Calendar (you said like ~5000 right?). With less events, BB DM might still check everything but because its less it goes rather quickly.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:01 PM   #40
winger13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Not Again !

I sync'd my BB to the desktop right just now... I noticed after BB Mgr checked all 5000+ Outlook Calendar items (on PC) 265'ish items on BB's Calendar, it prompted me if I want to add (or process, I forget the word) 265 Calander. It seem strange it wanted to do this, but I selected OK just to satisfy my couriousity.

the sync process then process 5000+ items from the BB Calendar as well. At the time, not sure what all this meant. Total sync time, 7minutes - I think due to the extra Calendar processing on the BB.

anyways, i checked my BB's Calendar, and the duplicates are appearing, AGAIN .

HELP

UPDATE on the duplicate calendar entries on the BB device:
See this thread I found and am entering input there
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ml#post1313460

Last edited by winger13; 03-09-2009 at 03:28 PM..
Closed Thread