Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 12:45 PM   #21
piwh1000
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell

Please Login to Remove!

We are currently developing a Mac version of TetherBerry and we would like your help to try it out and provide feedback.
Mac Beta | TetherBerry
Old 03-20-2009, 01:18 PM   #22
XingBerry

Model: storm
Carrier: AT&T

I look forward to the Mac version
Old 03-22-2009, 03:59 PM   #23
GrandMstrBud
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9780
PIN: 2075BBB4
Carrier: Carrier

I am not able to find the beta version nor can I find the 30 day trial version. I went even further and thought about buying it but it's not $39.99 when I tried to purchase this so it looks like the price went up by 20 bucks. In my opinion at this price there should be a trial offered rather than worrying about getting your money back if it doesn't work for you. Also the $9.99 device switch charge is another thing I don't like as I do go through different devices. I believe PDANet has a version out now that has a trial and is half the price but it's only for the BlackBerry storm at this time but I can wait until support comes out for other devices.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:20 PM   #24
Rhyalus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon

Hi - I don't work for them...

The beta is over. There is a 30 day money back on the main web page, and they canceled the 9.95 switch fee...

Regards,
R
Old 03-22-2009, 10:17 PM   #25
VRaptor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
Ummm... is this legal????
Nope. It is called theft of services. But kinda like stealing cable, it's only illegal if you get caught. I pay $20.00 per month for tethering so I don't have to worry about it.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:55 PM   #26
piwh1000

Model: Curve
Carrier: Bell

Some carriers have policies which state not to use alternative Tethering software. Most carriers don't. The same debate is occurring with Skype offering their service on BlackBerries.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:12 AM   #27
JLP

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by piwh1000 View Post
Some carriers have policies which state not to use alternative Tethering software. Most carriers don't.
If by most carriers you mean most non-NA carriers, you may be right. It sounds like most NA carriers do have such a policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piwh1000 View Post
The same debate is occurring with Skype offering their service on BlackBerries.
Really? Is use of VoIP software specifically against carrier policy? I doubt it, why block something that generates revenue, since it requires data usage, even over Wi-Fi (as I understand it). Or at least it uses something that you have already explicitly paid for.

Tethering software is allowing you to use something that you have not paid for (their interpretation not mine). The thing I don't get is why anyone would pay $40 for something they can do for free with about 5-10 minutes of effort. Good marketing I guess.

Personally, I will use tethering very minimally, so will not pay for it. I was originally going to turn it on as needed - I was told that you can switch back and forth from BIS to BIS-Tether any time - but I doubt I will bother with that unless I am going to use it a lot. That would probably be the safest route for anyone using it on a limited basis.

JMO.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:34 AM   #28
kathrynhr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

I think the carriers' primary concern is people doing things that would potentially affect other people's service, which usually means using more than your "fair share" of bandwidth or otherwise causing latency issues.

As an extreme example of too many phones and not enough network, AT&T got flack recently because their network in Austin, Texas couldn't handle all the extra iPhone users who showed up for South x Southwest last month.

Reference: SXSW: IPhone Influx Pushes AT&T to the Limit [Updated] | Epicenter from Wired.com

A quote from the article:

"Wireless service depends on a number of issues," Siegel said, "including proximity to cellular sites, the number of people contending for resources in a given area, the strength of the signal in the area and a number of other factors."
Closed Thread