BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 06:17 PM   #21
Krycek
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

As to my Font problem, it still persists, even after a full OS reload with the downloaded OS from TMO. Here is what happened after I loaded the modded ALX:

1. Switched to the TMO Pink Zen theme. Hated it and switched back to default TMO Blue Zen theme.
2. Reset my Screen options to the following:
- Font: BBMillBank
- Font Size: 7
- Font Style: Plain
- Font Smoothing: On (or off, makes no difference)
3. Went into Messages screen, and with the auto setting (default) for "Display Message Header on", all messages roll to the second line. If I manually change this to 1 line, it looks like it did before, but cuts off at least 1 character horizontally from the original setting.
4. All option menu's font's seem to be 1 size bigger than before, including the Zen theme applications list.

I have reloaded the OS twice with the 4.2 provided by TMO, making sure in the Desktop Manager to wipe all applications from the device each time. Right after a reload, problem persists.

I actually bought 2 8100's today for my company, and the 8100 I did not run the modified ALX on does not exhibit this behavior. All fonts are as they should be, which is default, factory conditions. It almost just looks as if every font size is 1 bigger than it should be (7 looks like 8, 8 looks like 8, etc.).

Any additional ideas on why this would be happening or what the deal is? Possible fixes? Things to try? I'm open to anything. Thanks!
Old 09-12-2006, 07:03 PM   #22
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krycek
As to my Font problem, it still persists, even after a full OS reload with the downloaded OS from TMO. Here is what happened after I loaded the modded ALX:

1. Switched to the TMO Pink Zen theme. Hated it and switched back to default TMO Blue Zen theme.
2. Reset my Screen options to the following:
- Font: BBMillBank
- Font Size: 7
- Font Style: Plain
- Font Smoothing: On (or off, makes no difference)
3. Went into Messages screen, and with the auto setting (default) for "Display Message Header on", all messages roll to the second line. If I manually change this to 1 line, it looks like it did before, but cuts off at least 1 character horizontally from the original setting.
4. All option menu's font's seem to be 1 size bigger than before, including the Zen theme applications list.

I have reloaded the OS twice with the 4.2 provided by TMO, making sure in the Desktop Manager to wipe all applications from the device each time. Right after a reload, problem persists.

I actually bought 2 8100's today for my company, and the 8100 I did not run the modified ALX on does not exhibit this behavior. All fonts are as they should be, which is default, factory conditions. It almost just looks as if every font size is 1 bigger than it should be (7 looks like 8, 8 looks like 8, etc.).

Any additional ideas on why this would be happening or what the deal is? Possible fixes? Things to try? I'm open to anything. Thanks!
I really have no clue... Everything is working fine on mine...
Old 09-12-2006, 07:04 PM   #23
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBenson
Would you mind posting screen shots or pictures of these themes on the 8100? I'm curious to how they look on the new BlackBerry 8100 as unfortunately I don't have one yet :(

:::CB:::
I might be able to tomorrow.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:20 PM   #24
Krycek

Concerning my font problem, here are 2 screenshots from the 8100 that show you what I mean. These are with the same font settings as I specified before. Take a look to your BB and see if mine matches yours. It's definitely not the same as factory.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bbscreen1.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	5074   Click image for larger version

Name:	bbscreen2.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	5075  
Old 09-12-2006, 07:29 PM   #25
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Concerning my font problem, here are 2 screenshots from the 8100 that show you what I mean. These are with the same font settings as I specified before. Take a look to your BB and see if mine matches yours. It's definitely not the same as factory.
Nope, mine is in 7 just as it should be... I am currently using T-Mobile Europe Zen.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:31 PM   #26
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

dc/dc, I went ahead and downloaded the OS and modified the ALX file and posted on my ALX thread. here's the info, for anyone who wants to try it. I removed more than the usual vendor ID information. This, in theory, should allow for someone to use a 4.1 theme that was not included in the 4.2 release (not that it's been tested). This also includes a Platform.alx edit that will enable PTT for Cingular users who have an unlocked Pearl.

More Info - Click Here

8100 series / Pearl (GSM/GPRS/EDGE):
T-Mobile (United States) - 4.2.0.42
Installation Download: Click Here
Installation File Name: 8100_Pearl_4.2.0.42.exe
Installation Path: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8100-v4.2.0.42_P2.2.0.28
BlackBerry.alx Download: Click Here

* Note: I have also included a modified Platform.alx file. This is for Cingular users with PTT service enabled on their accounts ONLY. If you are not a Cingular customer and do not have PTT enabled on your account, do NOT use this modified Platform.alx. The instructions for installation are the same as the BlackBerry.alx file. This *should* allow the installation of the PTT software on the handheld. As to whether or not it would work, that's up in the air.

If you have any questions or issues, post in the link above (or PM me directly). I haven't been able to test this, as I do not have a Pearl, but it's my typical edits with a little extra.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:42 PM   #27
Krycek

Some more information to go with my font problem:

- The problem seems to exist with all fonts. They all display what appears to be 1 size too big. So when I'm using 7, it looks like 8. This is true for every font by "System".
- The problem occurs with all Themes.
- I have reloaded the OS 4.2 that I downloaded from TMO 5 times, each time with the same problem. I have tried deleting everything (desktop manager, etc.) off the computer and reloading, and even reloading from a different computer. Same problem.
- All menus are affected, and the menus where the font is auto-bolded (option menu's, application list), the font shows up large as well.
- The new bottom, center short menu also displays the wrong fonts and the lettering is no longer centered.

Is it possible to dump the OS from a factory 8100 to see if it differs somehow from the downloadable copy from TMO. I know the versions are the same...but what gives?
Old 09-13-2006, 08:37 AM   #28
Rubicant
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT
Cool lol

Love the mods here.

BTW, can someone check the code for the reply page from a slow link? It half loaded for me and after 3 refreshes, decided to load.

So, overall, how is the BBpearl? Jibi, I know you use these things for a living practically...how do you like it?

StinsonnDog, I hope you'll have a review soon

As of December, my contract is up with Crookulair...so I may be going tmo or vzw.. Looking for options.

thanks.

Blackberry: Canadian for flashlight. (Its a joke...I often find myself using my BB as a flashlight.)
Old 09-13-2006, 08:40 AM   #29
Inphektion
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: (¯`·.¸at&t¸.·´¯)

Quote:

- The problem seems to exist with all fonts. They all display what appears to be 1 size too big. So when I'm using 7, it looks like 8. This is true for every font by "System".
- I have reloaded the OS 4.2 that I downloaded from TMO 5 times, each time with the same problem. I have tried deleting everything (desktop manager, etc.) off the computer and reloading, and even reloading from a different computer. Same problem.
- All menus are affected, and the menus where the font is auto-bolded (option menu's, application list), the font shows up large as well.
- The new bottom, center short menu also displays the wrong fonts and the lettering is no longer centered.

Is it possible to dump the OS from a factory 8100 to see if it differs somehow from the downloadable copy from TMO. I know the versions are the same...but what gives?
I've run into this before too. Its not an OS issue on your BB but rather something got messed up on your computer. Do a clean uninstall of all BB software on your computer and then even go in and manually delete all the RIM folders they leave. Also go through registry and remove anything Research In Motion. then install desktop manager and handheld software. Do a bb wipe and/or nuke and reinstall and all will be fine.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:44 AM   #30
Rubicant
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

Quote:

Theoretically...yes. In theory you should be able to backup a bb and restore itto a simulated blackberry...but I'm not an expert at that...its an idea...nothing more.

Is the 8100 sim availiable?

Blackberry: Canadian for flashlight. (Its a joke...I often find myself using my BB as a flashlight.)
Old 09-13-2006, 08:47 AM   #31
blake.blake
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: pearl
Carrier: tmobile

can anyone confirm that their pearl is running better after this. I know when i did this to my 8700c (unlocked) i did notice an overall difference in the phones preformance and signal.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:06 AM   #32
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
dc/dc, I went ahead and downloaded the OS and modified the ALX file and posted on my ALX thread. here's the info, for anyone who wants to try it. I removed more than the usual vendor ID information. This, in theory, should allow for someone to use a 4.1 theme that was not included in the 4.2 release (not that it's been tested). This also includes a Platform.alx edit that will enable PTT for Cingular users who have an unlocked Pearl.

More Info - Click Here

8100 series / Pearl (GSM/GPRS/EDGE):
T-Mobile (United States) - 4.2.0.42
Installation Download: Click Here
Installation File Name: 8100_Pearl_4.2.0.42.exe
Installation Path: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8100-v4.2.0.42_P2.2.0.28
BlackBerry.alx Download: Click Here

* Note: I have also included a modified Platform.alx file. This is for Cingular users with PTT service enabled on their accounts ONLY. If you are not a Cingular customer and do not have PTT enabled on your account, do NOT use this modified Platform.alx. The instructions for installation are the same as the BlackBerry.alx file. This *should* allow the installation of the PTT software on the handheld. As to whether or not it would work, that's up in the air.

If you have any questions or issues, post in the link above (or PM me directly). I haven't been able to test this, as I do not have a Pearl, but it's my typical edits with a little extra.
Thanks Jibi!
Old 09-13-2006, 09:23 AM   #33
Ms. Mavis

Model: 8700g

Is there...or will there be an OTA for the Vodafone Today theme on the 8100??
Old 09-13-2006, 09:28 AM   #34
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Mavis
Is there...or will there be an OTA for the Vodafone Today theme on the 8100??
Why not just do the hacks? It's not that hard.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:56 AM   #35
Ms. Mavis

Model: 8700g

After reading what hapenned to krycek...no thanks
Old 09-13-2006, 11:47 AM   #36
Krycek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inphektion
I've run into this before too. Its not an OS issue on your BB but rather something got messed up on your computer. Do a clean uninstall of all BB software on your computer and then even go in and manually delete all the RIM folders they leave. Also go through registry and remove anything Research In Motion. then install desktop manager and handheld software. Do a bb wipe and/or nuke and reinstall and all will be fine.
Tried that. Even did the wipe, with fresh downloads, on a different computer that has never touched a BB. Same problem. For the time being I've reverted to using the System font, which actually does display as the 7 size (it's the only font that does).
Old 09-13-2006, 09:31 PM   #37
jibi
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Mavis
After reading what hapenned to krycek...no thanks
Vodafone didn't include their theme with the 8100. I'll check with the simulator and see if it works with the 7130 4.1 theme files, though. You will likely be able to simply try and load it over-the-air from the one available now, to be honest.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:35 PM   #38
jibi
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicant
So, overall, how is the BBpearl? Jibi, I know you use these things for a living practically...how do you like it?
I wasn't able to get one through corporate yet. They will be available within 30 days. I was able to play with one last week and one today (a bit more extensively today). I must say that I'm QUITE impressed with the feel of the handheld - doesn't feel cheap at all. And the weight of the device (or lack thereof) is amazing! My former manager pointed out some issues on his (default ringtones = low audio, etc) that will likely be ironed out in future software builds. Overall, the trackball will take some getting used to, but that should probably be only a 5-10 day adjustment for most people. I definitely see some room for improvement initially, but this is a solid device and is the best model to date from RIM.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:16 PM   #39
datafirm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: New ATT because of iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc
Why not just do the hacks? It's not that hard.

Its very easy.. and the Vodafone today theme is great!
Old 09-14-2006, 02:04 AM   #40
kjake

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

I got an 8100 today and tried to do this. Odd thing is that the Handheld package from Tmo doesn't like my handheld. I get this error when trying to load new applications (reguardless of a stock or modded Blackberry.alx).

The application "Browser" cannot be laoded, because it requires the following applications that are not available: net.rim.blackberry.xml

I checked my phone, it is v4.2.0.42 (Platform 2.2.0.28)

Oh well, stock themes for me I guess.
Closed Thread