Old 04-17-2006, 08:17 PM   #21
jonlevine
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch
...but I don't think you'll be satisfied until it works to your standards.
I would take just working!

I'm not interested in App loader right now, though it would be nice. I just want to sync my calendar and contacts.

Anyway, we could do this all night. Whoever's working on it needs to hurry up!
Old 04-18-2006, 12:40 AM   #22
CanuckMakem
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 205DDA2C
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlevine
I would take just working!

I'm not interested in App loader right now, though it would be nice. I just want to sync my calendar and contacts.

Anyway, we could do this all night. Whoever's working on it needs to hurry up!
Yeah I agree.... its getting very anoying, I might just get a Treo.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:01 AM   #23
dmoffitt
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: T-Mobile

I've been in communication w/ Pocket Mac - never once did they pass the buck to RIM (to apple, however, that's another story). Evidently it's related to the implementation of USB (drivers) on the new Macs... odd since every other USB device I have works great, but understandable.

To those saying BT this and BT that, last I checked the BB (at least my 8700) only supported things like Hands Free, and not pairing w/ a computer / OBEX etc.

And NJ - moderator or not, WTF are you doing posting in the "Mac Users Corner" if you feel the Mac is such a useless platform for business? FYI my entire business, every employee, every manager, my developers, graphic designers all are on the mac platform, as are MANY of my clients. Some of our contracts have dealt w/ Disney, I can assure you they use a lot of Macs and also many have BlackBerrys (in fact, that's part of WHY I got one, I was intrigued by the "Sent from my BlackBerry" message footers and learned more). I get paid for my services, and I don't mean the kind you can buy on a street corner hehe - last I checked that's BUSINESS :D
Old 04-18-2006, 01:08 AM   #24
darwin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: tmo

Just for the record, I'm a network engineer and support more than a small handful of clients who LOVE, won't go to anything else, and swear by their macs.

Oh yeah, they are also important enough people that they need access to their e-mail and the ability to send/receive/sync on a daily basis... with their Blackberries.

Macs != useless platform in a business envornment, sorry.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:06 AM   #25
apple85
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Tour
Carrier: Verizon

i worked for Apple and honestly... I'd still dual boot there is just somethings Apple's can't do... For everything else there is dual booting into XP
Old 04-18-2006, 08:21 AM   #26
jonlevine
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple85
i worked for Apple and honestly... I'd still dual boot there is just somethings Apple's can't do... For everything else there is dual booting into XP
You're missing the whole point Apple85. Syncing your blackberry is not a one-off action like loading an app, it's tied to your calendar and contacts. Using your suggestion, I would use my Mac for everything else, then when I wanted to send an email or setup an appointment, I would reboot my computer, boot to XP, send my email, reboot again, and boot back to OS X. Seriously, that's your suggestion?

This is not something that a Mac is incapable of doing, as your suggestion implies. Why can certain cell phones sync with Macs (even doing so via bluetooth)? This function is built in to Mac becuase they realize the value in it. It is RIM who apparently doesn't.

On another note: the 'Macs aren't used for business' argument is old and untrue. Walk into Grey Advertising, they're the ones with their own skyscraper on 3rd Avenue in Manhattan, and you'll see a Mac on 90% of the desks (and that goes for ALL agencies). Bertram Yachts, arguably the world's best sportfishing yacht, uses all Macs. With cross-platform file compatibility, there's really no barriers anymore (name a file format that you can't open on a Mac?).

Anyway, I'll just be sitting here waiting on PocketMac....as usual.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:37 AM   #27
aristobrat

Model: 7130e
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
It just isn't an important market for RIM, I guess.
At least RIM appears have interest in officially supporting it.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn that RIM's "explosive growth" in the military, gov't and business arenas is over. That, added to the competition that they're starting to see as Treos and Window Mobiles devices start to become mainstream in the US, would make many markets that they haven't paid attention to more attractive.

Quote:
“We are very pleased that Apple’s mobile customers will be able to enjoy BlackBerry and synch with their Mac using the PocketMac application,” said Mark Guibert, Vice President, Corporate Marketing at Research In Motion.
http://www.blackberry.com/news/partn..._2005-02.shtml
Old 04-18-2006, 10:13 AM   #28
apple85
CrackBerry Addict

I'm looking at the solution to the full potential of the blackberry, right now Pocket Mac doesn't offer up close to being the full solution, not only that, but I can't use my uber fast EVDO 7130e because my damn power book doesn't support it as a modem... And ya know what your still going to need an XP computer to load Apps because pocket mac doesn't have an App loader. I know the mac isn't incapable either, I'm a former treo user that synced and used it as a modem my verizon e815 sync'ed to. I'm just saying man right now if I had to choose that's how I'd do it if I had a spare XP disk laying around (Which i do haha!! But no intel mac :() Keep in mind I think us mac users just hit 6% of the market share (or whatever they call it), but yes yes yes I agree it's rim's fault for the sake of arguement and we should be able to just have the same program xp guys use and apple's aren't flawed one bit and apple couldn't possibly have made a sync solution or written a modem script for us... > I'm not trying to argue, just my opinion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlevine
You're missing the whole point Apple85. Syncing your blackberry is not a one-off action like loading an app, it's tied to your calendar and contacts. Using your suggestion, I would use my Mac for everything else, then when I wanted to send an email or setup an appointment, I would reboot my computer, boot to XP, send my email, reboot again, and boot back to OS X. Seriously, that's your suggestion?

This is not something that a Mac is incapable of doing, as your suggestion implies. Why can certain cell phones sync with Macs (even doing so via bluetooth)? This function is built in to Mac becuase they realize the value in it. It is RIM who apparently doesn't.

On another note: the 'Macs aren't used for business' argument is old and untrue. Walk into Grey Advertising, they're the ones with their own skyscraper on 3rd Avenue in Manhattan, and you'll see a Mac on 90% of the desks (and that goes for ALL agencies). Bertram Yachts, arguably the world's best sportfishing yacht, uses all Macs. With cross-platform file compatibility, there's really no barriers anymore (name a file format that you can't open on a Mac?).

Anyway, I'll just be sitting here waiting on PocketMac....as usual.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:04 PM   #29
cblackberrynyc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: at&t your world. Delivered.

How come other sync programs for other devices are not having problems?

Isn't the BB based on Java?

Is the "usb" reason just BS?

The intel mac was not a surprise the universal sync app should have been ready.

RIM's reliance on ONE companies app for Mac sync is not taking care of mac users. There should be a couple app's from different companies not only to take care of the mac market, but also to drive development on the BB in the mac market.

The BB "smartphone" is rather broken now that for several months mac users are unable to sync.

Might put alot more $$ and life into that old treo sitting in the drawer.

RIM's prior support for mac was zero. Now we see the mac support is still way below acceptable.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:04 PM   #30
aristobrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblackberrynyc
RIM's prior support for mac was zero. Now we see the mac support is still way below acceptable.
And the only thing that's going to bring Mac support up to "acceptable" is when RIM and the PocketMac release a new version of PocketMac.

If RIM is giving PocketMac the input that it I think it needs, then I wouldn't be surprised if the PocketMac folks weren't building the next version "new", from the ground up.

Until then, I see no point in *****ing about RIM's Mac support. We're lucky to have it. I haven't seen Microsoft put any effort into getting their Windows Mobile 5 devices working with Macs.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:09 PM   #31
apple85
CrackBerry Addict

I couldn't agree with you more about Microsoft, I mean look at their support for Internet Explorer (Oh wait i mean their no long supported IE for Mac) their crappy windows media player for mac, I'll just stop there... Oh well all good things come to those who wait.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat
Until then, I see no point in *****ing about RIM's Mac support. We're lucky to have it. I haven't seen Microsoft put any effort into getting their Windows Mobile 5 devices working with Macs.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:19 PM   #32
aristobrat

Well, I'm willing to at least wait for the next version of PocketMac. ;)

If it doesn't take six more months to ship and/or it doesn't show some serious signs of improvement, then I'm all for beating RIM repeatedly about the face.

But I figure it's at least fair to give them a chance.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:25 PM   #33
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoffitt
And NJ - moderator or not, WTF are you doing posting in the "Mac Users Corner" if you feel the Mac is such a useless platform for business?
I guess pissed off, unsupported Mac users don't believe in freedom of speech.

Or does that not apply in your little world?

And I will be more than happy to stay out of your world.

Bye bye.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:36 PM   #34
cblackberrynyc
Thumbs Must Hurt

There is quite a runaround here.

The cellular provider says Blackberry doesn't support Mac (and does) contact RIM:

RIM says contact PocketMac:

Cellular Provider says (and does try to) contact PocketMac:

PocketMac doesn't answer the phone.

BUT on the PocketMac on their website blames Mac:

"01/23/2006: The new Mac Intel Duo machines running OS 10.4.4 have changed the way they relate to the USB ports on the computer. This change was made after we had already vetted the software on the transitional test machines that were available to developers prior to the big release. The machines they shipped, however, have a defect in the software that manages communications with the USB, and no update is available yet. In addition, GoBetween for Entourage does not display in iSync due to another unannounced change."

Uh.... its now 4/18/2006 and PocketMac has still not come up with a solution.

Going with PocketMac's excuse of USB, how come other USB devices work? How come other USB sync programs work for other devices? How come Bluetooth sync is not a option using this PocketMac software?

RIM doesn't have any answers and is left wondering whats going on.

Customers of the cellular provider and Blackberry and PocketMac get:
An error message, "PocketMac Blackberry, No Blackberry connected; unable to complete operation."

Who is responsible? Who job is it to make this right?

RIM? The Cellular provider?

RIM must have paid PocketMac for the use of the product.
The cellular provider sells the devices for RIM.

Neither have any answers other than pointing to PocketMac.

RIM seems to have gotten ripped off, The cellular provider is just trying solve customers problems. Is PocketMac's problem now everyones problem, except for them?

All while customers have BB smartphones which are not too smart right now.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:51 PM   #35
cblackberrynyc
Thumbs Must Hurt

We as Mac and Blackberry users shouldn't have to worry about what Micro$haft is or is not doing. The only compairison is right now you CAN sync a windows based smartphone device with the Mac and you CANT sync a Blackberry device

Posting or "*****ing" on a forum is the only thing we got now. We got no support... Excuses for lack of support doesn't help the customer, and doesn't get the problem solved.
There is no excuse for PocketMac dropping the ball.
There is no excuse there is no work arounds.
There is no excuse there hasn't been a working sync program since 1/23/06. (almost 4 months ago)

This sure doesn't put Blackberry in a good light (yet its not directly a fault of their own, other than giving half ass'ed mac support, and then only by 3rd party)

I might be with NJBlackberry the Treo is looking pretty temping right now (after 4 months of lack of sync)

Last edited by cblackberrynyc; 04-18-2006 at 02:59 PM..
Old 04-18-2006, 03:13 PM   #36
aristobrat

You can sync a Windows Mobile 5 device with Mac? When'd that happen? AFAIK, the old Palm Treo is the *only* recent PDAphone that you can sync with Mac. No easy sync support for the Treo 700W, the T-Mobile MDA or SDA, the Verizon 6700, the Sprint PPC-6700, nor the Cingular 6125/8125.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:19 PM   #37
aristobrat

Quote:
Excuses for lack of support doesn't help the customer, and doesn't get the problem solved.
There is no excuse for PocketMac dropping the ball.
There is no excuse there is no work arounds.
There is no excuse there hasn't been a working sync program since 1/23/06. (almost 4 months ago)
There is also no excuse for a customer to have bought a BlackBerry and expected it to have synced with their Intel Mac when there was no working software to do that when they bought their Intel Mac.

The fact that nobody in the community has come up with a workaround says exactly how complicated of an issue this is.

There's a good chance that it was probably a business decision by PocketMac and RIM to develop an entirely new version of PocketMac that also supports the Intel Mac than spending the time and resources to fix the old Intel Mac version.

But in the end, it is what it is, "no excuse" or not. I just don't see any point in *****ing about it. It's not going to change anything. RIM isn't going to come into this thread and say "oh, that crackberrynyc guy sure is pissed, we better do something quick. oh, wait. there's nothing we can do to increase the support until the new version is done."
Old 04-18-2006, 05:56 PM   #38
cblackberrynyc
Thumbs Must Hurt

RIM other than sending PocketMac $$ (as I understand it) has nothing to do with Pocketmac for blackberry and a RIM tech was as surprised as I was that IAA cant seem to get PocketMac working, he was also surprised that BT was not another useable option at this time.

Understand that RIM's mac support is half-assed at best and all just riding on a 3rd party app (which RIM doesn't support)

Y keep making excuses for the problem? Blackberry is a rather secure device do you really think community members can code good enough to get a sync program working? How come the community before pocketmac for blackberry never made a app to sync? Could it be that the Blackberry is designed secure? This problem is all excuses from a 3rd party software app.

Is it wrong for a customer to expect RIM to have Blackberry apps under control?

Is it wrong for a customer to expect that a Business device made by RIM not have to wait 4+ months so that their smartphones can sync?

Is it wrong to expect that pcoketmac should work under Rosseta, like everything else does which is not intel native?

Is it wrong to not expect every other software company would have the same USB "problems" if we are to believe "The machines they (apple) shipped, however, have a defect in the software that manages communications with the USB"? I call BS.

Has anyone else heard of those things called updates or patches to existing programs? You know those things that enhance and/or fix existing programs? Would it be wrong to expect IAA to make a quick update or patch to the existing PocketMac app BEFORE taking the time it takes to build a new app from the ground up?

With respect just because you "just don't see any point in *****ing about it." Does not mean customers of Blackberry and those that are Mac users should shut up and not expect their Blackberrys to work as promised.

http://www.blackberry.com/news/partn..._2005-02.shtml

"January 10, 2005

For The First Time, Information Appliance Associates Showcases BlackBerry-to-Macintosh Connectivity Solution at MacWorld Expo

San Francisco, CA - Information Appliance Associates (IAA), inventors of the PocketMacxxx174;-line of products, today announced that it will be showcasing PocketMac for BlackBerryxxx174; from Research In Motion (RIM) (Nasdaq: RIMM; TSX: RIM) at the MacWorld Conference and Expo 2005 in San Francisco, CA.

xxx8220;We are very pleased that Applexxx8217;s mobile customers will be able to enjoy BlackBerry and synch with their Mac using the PocketMac application,xxx8221; said Mark Guibert, Vice President, Corporate Marketing at Research In Motion.

"We're incredibly excited," said Terence Goggin, CTO of Information Appliance Associates. "To be working with RIM and have a product that embraces the Mac market...we couldnxxx8217;t be more pleased. With PocketMac for BlackBerry, Mac users will be able to extend their systems to wireless environments via BlackBerry.xxx8221;

The showcase, available at booth 2107 in the main hall at the MacWorld Expo, will include full product demos on a range of BlackBerry handhelds, working connectivity demos of Macintosh computers synching with BlackBerry handhelds and the ability for expo visitors to purchase BlackBerry handhelds with the Mac sync software included at no extra charge.

eAccess Solutions, Inc. is the wireless dealer who will be selling the handhelds at the show. David Bean, President of eAccess Solutions said, xxx8220;Wexxx8217;re thrilled to be able to connect passionate Mac users with their BlackBerry handhelds and wireless service at the show.xxx8221;

Goggin added, xxx8220;This will be one of our most exciting showings at MacWorld Expo as finally Mac users will have a robust solution for their wireless needs.xxx8221;

and a year later to get more mac users interested, (same expo that the intel mac's were released):

http://www.rim.net/news/press/2006/p..._2006-02.shtml

"January 12, 2006

BlackBerry to Offer Mac Support

Macworld 2006 Conference & Expo, San Francisco, CA - Research In Motion (RIM) (Nasdaq: RIMM; TSX: RIM) and Information Appliance Associates (IAA) today announced a licensing agreement whereby RIM will offer xxx8216;PocketMacxxx174; for BlackBerryxxx174;xxx8217; to Mac users, free of charge. PocketMac for BlackBerry is a desktop application that enables Mac users to synchronize data between their BlackBerry devices and Macintosh applications including core OS X version 10.4 xxx8220;Tigerxxx8221; applications and Microsoft Entourage.

xxx8220;The worldwide popularity of Mac OS X is driving the creation of many exciting new products and significant growth in the Apple development community,xxx8221; said Ron Okamoto, Applexxx8217;s Vice President of Worldwide Developer Relations. xxx8220;We're thrilled that IAA and RIM have collaborated to better support mobile Mac users with easy-to-use BlackBerry synchronization.xxx8221;

xxx8220;PocketMac for BlackBerry is easy to install and allows users to synchronize email, contacts, calendar, tasks and notes with popular Mac applications,xxx8221; said Terence Goggin, CTO of Information Appliance Associates. xxx8220;We are pleased to work with RIM to provide this robust solution to Applexxx8217;s mobile customers.xxx8221;

xxx8220;This licensing agreement will help expand the reach of BlackBerry to another important market segment,xxx8221; said Mark Guibert, Vice President, Corporate Marketing at Research In Motion. xxx8220;There is significant interest in BlackBerry from Mac users and we look forward to delivering PocketMac for BlackBerry to customers around the world.xxx8221;

RIM has licensed the complete version of PocketMac for BlackBerry from IAA and the companies plan ongoing product development collaboration. PocketMac for BlackBerry synchronizes the email, contacts, calendar, tasks and notes of Microsoft Entourage, OS X's Address Book and iCal, Now Contact and Now Up-to-Date, DayLite, and Stickies, among other applications. This easy-to-access solution for Macintosh synchronization is expected to be available as a free download at www.blackberry.com beginning in February.

Further details of the licensing agreement were not disclosed."

There is no excuse....
Old 04-18-2006, 08:40 PM   #39
aristobrat

There're sooo many points in your prior post to respond to, but when you dismiss my guesses as for why there's no Universal PocketMac as "excuses", it's not worth the time.

I have no freaking clue what RIM and IAA are doing with PocketMac. I just find it hard to believe that they're purposefully blundering the situation to create chaos and discord amongst us Macintel owners, which is basically the only conclusion that your posts lead to.

You know, if you actually shared some ideas of your own as to why we Macintel folks are still waiting for PocketMac to work, it'd make for an interesting conversation. The only thing I'm getting out of your posts is that you're angry, as if you bought your Macintel expecting PocketMac to work, and have finally realized that it's going to be awhile before that happens.

Quote:
Is it wrong to expect that pcoketmac should work under Rosseta, like everything else does which is not intel native?
Sorry, had to respond to this. It's *very wrong* to expect that every PPC executable will run under Rosetta. Have you seen the list of apps that don't work in Rosetta over at macintouch.com? PocketMac is far from being the only PPC software that doesn't run in Rosetta.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:09 PM   #40
cblackberrynyc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well I guess it doesn't matter to some that IAA has dropped the ball with PocketMac for Blackberry, making Blackberry less of what it should be.

RIM makes the Blackberry and did the PR that Mac's can sync with Blackberry, and a year later PR'ed that they were giving Pocketmac for blackberry for free download. Sounds like a solution to me. While relying on only one supplier, while not providing in house support of that app. RIM screwed up on the hopes that IAA would do RIM right. Not putting out a patch, not providing BT support, not giving users any updates for 4 months, while the program they have been paid to provide is broken. IAA Only providing a BS excuse 4 months ago. RIM now can do nothing. Yet other sync app's, other programs, have been updated and/or work under rosseta.

Other than you taking offense to others posting like its wrong to expect RIM devices to work as advertised, why are you defending IAA which is making the Blackberry worthless to mac users right now? All mac users see here, and from IAA is excuses. No solutions.
Closed Thread