BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 07:34 AM   #21
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA
Default Re: Blackberry cameras, still no zoom?

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordag View Post
@stevetaz: Clearly you have not read all of my posts. I have no interest in digital zoom. I want an optical zoom lens. Perhaps read fully next time before posting.

@hrbuckley: So then you agree that Blackberry's have no zoom capability at all? Which brings me full back around to my original post, Why doesn't RIM put a zoom lens on the camera?
RIM does provide ways for you make suggestions. One of them is on their forum site, or you could join the Beta program. Given the opportunity I would be opposed to saving the interpolated data for digital zoom for reasons I've given. Like others here I wouldn't be willing to pay for an optical zoom.

One thing is certain, complaining here is not going to have much of an affect on then next hardware release, so if you really want a BlackBerry with an optical zoom lense, the people you need to convince are at RIM. Good luck.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:12 AM   #22
stevetaz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S III
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint

Quote:
@stevetaz: Clearly you have not read all of my posts. I have no interest in digital zoom. I want an optical zoom lens. Perhaps read fully next time before posting.

@hrbuckley: So then you agree that Blackberry's have no zoom capability at all? Which brings me full back around to my original post, Why doesn't RIM put a zoom lens on the camera?
I apologize for posting while at work. My intention was to say that optical zoom was the way to go and I apologize for wasting your time. The second paragraph should have referenced optical zoom.

Luckily we have people like you to point out the obvious. Yes I read your rant, but I failed to pay as close attention to what I was writing.

As others have stated you should file your complaints with RIM. I also agree that I would not pay extra for a handheld to include an optical zoom camera lens.

Good luck to you....
Old 01-24-2012, 01:21 PM   #23
fordag
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9810
Carrier: AT&T

@rambo47: Again you haven't read my full post. This is my third BB. Not an impulse purchase. Did you even look at my Avatar info? I've been on this board since 2007.

I buy BlackBerry's because they interface with Outlook. However BlackBerry needs to wake up and figure out that people expect more from smartphones today than email and clean integration with with a desktop organizer.

I'm not asking for the world here, just install an already available micro optical zoom lens in the camera portion of the phone. Don't crop the photos down to nothing and blow smoke up my ass by calling it "Zoom"

I'm a professional photographer. I don't always carry my Canon 1Ds and a dozen lenses everywhere with me, it get's heavy. I do always carry a small pocket camera. However neither of those cameras are capable of posting photos immediately to the internet. However a smartphone can. I'm amazed in this day and age that I have to spell out why someone would want a decent camera with optical zoom in a smart phone, and not some crappy and completely pointless cropping.

Read the news lately? "RIM was worth more than $70 billion a few years ago but now has a market value of around $8.9 billion." You guys ever consider that adding some features like a iPhone or Android have might just save the company? Plus I have to say if like me you're all fans of BlackBerry's you're you're showing it in a funny way, spending an awful lot of time trying to drive away customers to their competition.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #24
fordag
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbuckley View Post
RIM does provide ways for you make suggestions. One of them is on their forum site...

One thing is certain, complaining here is not going to have much of an affect on then next hardware release...
I've posted there several times in the past, my posts requesting optical zoom always got 0 replies. I've also emailed RIM's suggestion line. I have been told however, by RIM tech support, that they do spend a fair amount of time trolling boards like this and Crackberry looking to see what people think.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:27 PM   #25
stevetaz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S III
Carrier: sprint

fordag, I know that you read and fully comprehend everything, but I want to point out to you that this forum is not owned by RIM so railing and complaining about this issue will do nothing.

You should contact RIM to make your frustrations and wants known.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:27 PM   #26
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Perhaps my estimate of 99.9% of people not wanting or caring about this is too low.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #27
fordag
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetaz View Post
I also agree that I would not pay extra for a handheld to include an optical zoom camera lens.

Good luck to you....
I seriously doubt that adding a micro optical zoom lens would really increase the price of a device in any significant way. The link I posted about them was from back in 2007. I'm guessing the reality is they could be had now for an extra $10 a device which would be absorbed by the Wireless provider and customers would most likely see no impact on pricing.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #28
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Right.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #29
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks to all (I'm on mobile site so can't hit the thanks button).

I know what digital zoom is but hadn't paid attention. But tested for myself and indeed my BlackBerry is cropping and not zooming. I guess the 9700 was the same.

At any rate, to the OP's question, I think it is when, and not if. At some point digital zoom and then optical zoom is going to be insignificant in cost and resources needed, it will be a selling point that doesn't cost really anything (and the others will be doing it) and it's going to happen, on the top of the line first and then later the lower levels. Just seems to me on the evolutionary track along with all else that is part of better and better cameras in smartphones (and I say this as someone who once didn't think cameras would be in BlackBerrys and didn't want a camera in my BlackBerry, so that tells you what my opinion is worth).

Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Last edited by aiharkness; 01-24-2012 at 01:43 PM..
Old 01-25-2012, 08:02 AM   #30
hrbuckley

Quote:
I've posted there several times in the past, my posts requesting optical zoom always got 0 replies. I've also emailed RIM's suggestion line. I have been told however, by RIM tech support, that they do spend a fair amount of time trolling boards like this and Crackberry looking to see what people think.
Well, if they lurk here they will certainly find out what people think.

On the other hand, through my participation with their beta program I've watched people suggest and debate improvements to PlayBook OS 2.0 desired features. They collected all of the requests and issued an opinion survey. And not surprisingly the most popular features are included, in some cases pushing back features RIM proposed. I'm sure we will see more of the list comming in later releases as they get them done.

But it just doesn't look as if people are calling for an optical zoom. That may change, or some phones may get it anyway as time progresses.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #31
Green Cart
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint
Default Tsac is on the right track ...

I had trouble zooming in and out using the trackball on my 9630 Tour while taking pictures. I read somewhere that by clicking on the volumn up and down just one time would "fix" the trackball, and this tip WORKS!
Old 01-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #32
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Default Re: Tsac is on the right track ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Cart View Post
I had trouble zooming in and out using the trackball on my 9630 Tour while taking pictures. I read somewhere that by clicking on the volumn up and down just one time would "fix" the trackball, and this tip WORKS!
And it has nothing to do with this thread.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:14 AM   #33
Gizmofeed

Model: Bold
Carrier: Vodophone

Quote:
I've had a Pearl, Bold and now I have a Torch 2. None of these have cameras that are capable of zooming. Is this true for all BlackBerrys? I'm guessing it must be if the 9810 still has no zoom capability.

As I understand it there are micro zoom lenses available. Is there any chance RIM will put a zoom capable camera in one of their phones in the future?

Thanks,
David
I had the same problem, I dont find that blackberry are that good for camera's though.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #34
fordag
Thumbs Must Hurt

@hrbuckley: Unfortunately when I attemtpted to participate in teh Beta program a while back I didn't qualify because I'm not on a BES. I have frequently sent email suggestions to RIM's suggestion email.

@Gizmofeed: I was truly unimpressed with the cameras on both my Pearl and my Bold, but I was pleasantly surprised that the camera on my 9810 does a very decent job for a 5mp camera. I was very happy with the video I shot yesterday at the range just to try it out.

My point in a ll of this is that if RIM is to continue on as a comapny they need to put in the features that are found in other smart phones, and which are sucking away their customer base. I hope that in a couple of years when I'm looking for a new phone I'll be able to consider a fourth BB, but at RIM's current rate of decline I won't be shocked if they aren't even an option then.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #35
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Just curious, and I don't have a clue, what smartphone or phone now has a camera that would meet your criteria?
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 01-28-2012, 11:59 AM   #36
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

RIM's problems run much deeper than camera issues. Considering the number of people demanding better cameras doesn't appear to be great.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:26 PM   #37
devnull

Model: I747
Carrier: at&t

fordag want's a different camera. This forum cannot provide it. What other purpose is the thread serving.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #38
hrbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
fordag want's a different camera. This forum cannot provide it. What other purpose is the thread serving.
It is more interesting than Saturday morning TV?
Old 01-28-2012, 12:56 PM   #39
devnull

Model: I747

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbuckley View Post
It is more interesting than Saturday morning TV?
LOL and this forum can't fix the tv programing either...
Old 01-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #40
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Default Re: Tsac is on the right track ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Cart View Post
Glad dc/dc said that because I was wondering what volume had to do with fixing the track ball also.
Closed Thread