BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 12:41 PM   #21
thepoutypanda
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Location: New Orleans and New York City (Two weeks a month in each city!)
Model: 8100
Carrier: Tmobile

Please Login to Remove!

I love Gmail. I've been having for almost two years now and it's so convenient because it offers a lot of support services (spreadsheets, calendars, auto-saving contacts, and best of all... GOOGLE TALK!).

In terms of using Gmail with the BB Pearl that I have, I think it's great. The emails pull up on my BB Pearl almost instantaneously (and oddly enough, my corporate email sometimes arrives on my BB before my Outlook catches it).

I only have two gripes with Gmail and they are 1) the reconciliation of emails and 2) the sent items.

1) When I choose the RECONCILE EMAIL now option, it doesn't always reconcile the email right away. I have my handheld as the priority winner when reconciling (read: if i delete it on my handheld, it will delete when i sign on to my account on a PC) and sometimes, it's easier for me to just delete it off the mailbox and handheld, and when I log on remotely, I have to delete again. Annoying, but doable.

2) Every. Freaking. Time. I send an email from my Gmail account, it shows up in my unread messages. For some reason, it doesn't just filter itself out to SENT MAIL. It just hangs around the inbox and that annoys me to no end. When I send emails from my corporate email, the emails are hidden (Go to OPTIONS --> GENERAL OPTIONS --> HIDE SENT EMAIL? YES). I can't get it to stop, so if anyone has any helpful ideas, please let me know.

Thanks! I hope this helps!
Old 10-12-2006, 02:00 PM   #22
pinchao
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

You should set up a filter on BIS for your gmail account to filter out the emails sent from your gmail account. Choose "Do not forward" when it is from your gmail address. It works flawlessly for me.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoutypanda
2) Every. Freaking. Time. I send an email from my Gmail account, it shows up in my unread messages. For some reason, it doesn't just filter itself out to SENT MAIL. It just hangs around the inbox and that annoys me to no end. When I send emails from my corporate email, the emails are hidden (Go to OPTIONS --> GENERAL OPTIONS --> HIDE SENT EMAIL? YES). I can't get it to stop, so if anyone has any helpful ideas, please let me know.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:27 PM   #23
saa001

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

I *WAS* a long term Yahoo user and supporter. Their service has deterioated and their spam protection is horrible. I was getting spam like crazy on my account and emails would sometimes take quite a while to appear on my 8700.

I switched to Googles hosted service for my domains' email and in the three weeks I have been on it I have received 1 spam that was not caught (as opposed to Yahoo where I would get 7-10 a day slipping by). Also the delivery is timely and consistant. Yahoo would sometimes take a long time to update.

Google has surpassed Yahoo in many ways. The only thing I think Yahoo does better right now is their calendar. Yahoo has more options than Google does. When Google gets the calendar to the same level at Yahoo, I will kiss my yahoo account goodby forever (right now I have yahoo forwarding to my Goggle hosted service). Yahoos' filtering also works on a random basis and Google has performed flawlessly.

Google has become the 800 lb gorilla while Yahoo is withering away and is maybe only a 600lb gorilla. Go with Google, you won't regret it.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:14 AM   #24
dkf747
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8520
Carrier: TMO

The only thing better about Yahoo is the reconcilation feature (if that is what it's called.) In Gmail I have to go in every couple of days to mark messages read. With Yahoo, everything I do on the BB (delete, mark opened) happens in the Yahoo account too. When Gmail gets that then I will join the "Gmail is better" side. If there are delays with Yahoo, I have never nticed.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:52 AM   #25
bigboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800c
Carrier: at&t

I'm sticking with Yahoo for now. The problem is that Google has a retarded POP implementation -- it tries to be too smart and determine if a message has been downloaded rather than let the client figure it out by itself. It's an old complaint of mine (I've mentioned it before on these forums). Oh well.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:40 AM   #26
gergy

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

I use both Yahoo and Gmail. Same wait for both. Neither is better for me. I have 1 yahoo account, 3 gmails, 2 hotmails and 1 aim email account assigned to my 8700c
Yes i do use all of them actively. Wish all my emails would come in faster without having to forward them to my Blackberry.cingular account. I just refuse to do that.

I can deal with the 10-15min delays i get for now. Worse case scenario, I use an instant messanger to say what i gotta.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:45 AM   #27
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

The problem for me with Gmail is that mail sent FROM the BB seems to be stuck with the Gmail email address in the From field, no matter how you set it up on the BIS.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:00 PM   #28
phjnky
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

Gmail is much quicker and seems to do a little better job with the spam.. I have the premium yahoo account which is forwarded to gmail along with two other pop accounts, one which recieves a lot of spam. Gmail filters the spam pretty well but not perfect.. .so i am trying another solution...

Everything, all pop accounts and yahoo are fowarded to gmail which i access through outlook etc.

Gmail is setup to foward emails to my .aol account and keep a copy in the inbox.

Aol is setup to only allow those who are listed in my contacts to land in my aol inbox, everything else goes to spam. My tmo aol BIS account is the only bis account setup for my bb.

btw- for those like myself that thought aol was the same ol pay per account, crummy browser etc. stuff.. they changed.. not sure when but the email is free now.

so far so good.

Last edited by phjnky; 10-13-2006 at 12:03 PM..
Old 10-13-2006, 12:49 PM   #29
jungleland
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: BOLD
Carrier: At&t

I have seen thousands of email products, so far NOTHING has come close to GMAIL...and then there is the BB sync bonus..

So no, Yahoo is not better than GMAIL, BB OR NOT
Old 10-13-2006, 01:08 PM   #30
BBRaffey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T

I have both, but do not sinc either with the BB so do not notice much difference. As an attorney, I only sinc the BB with my office email which is on a different server, this way I never NEVER get any spam on the BB. Gmail and Yahoo are used when I have to register a product (even one I use in the office) or make an on line purchase. Yahoo's new Beta email is much better than the old version.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:30 PM   #31
plchan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700g
Carrier: NO One

I was a long time yahoo user until i started using gmail and calendar. the SMS notification from google calender is excellent. it always helps me to remind the important events.. etc. i use gmail mainly even thought i still use yahoo mail from time to time. it is just because not many friends and family are using Gmail.
i am trying to get my friends coming on board using gtalk. i wish the gtalk can talk to yahoo / msn / aim / icq just like the all-in-one chat client.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:32 PM   #32
plchan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700g
Carrier: NO One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennvol
Now if we could only sync Gmail's calendar..........
depending how you want to sync it..

export the gmail's calender and import to outlook and sync to BB, it works.

i don't think they would try to allow BIS accts to sync with gmail's calendar in any future. or if they raise the price of the BIS more :(. :(
Old 10-13-2006, 02:27 PM   #33
Magnum
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
PIN: Want my Debit Card?
Carrier: AT&T, Cingular, AT&T..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriz
Gmail Rocks...especially good at filtering out the SPAM so you don't get it on your BB
AWESOME Filters!
Old 10-13-2006, 02:36 PM   #34
jungleland

Model: BOLD
Carrier: At&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum
AWESOME Filters!
Concur, I get hit with over 1400 spam emails per week...Maybe 10 get through the spam filter and actually hit my inbox/BB
Old 10-13-2006, 03:05 PM   #35
wiredwrx
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700c
Carrier: T=Mo

I'll weigh in also.

I use a Yahoo, Gmail, and AIM.

Forget the AIM, I just have it becuase I was an AOL user for about 10 years, and old habits die hard. I don't use it really.

I started with Yahoo because at the time, GMail only worked by polling. While I have noticed that Gmail is being pushed now, there is no significant advantage to switching to GMAIL over Yahoo. The Yahoo still works instantly.

I also started getting significant spam, but I instituted Yahoo spam filtering, and since then, maybe 1 gets through every couple of days, while my filter stop several hundred in the same period.

I think it is a matter of taste. What is better, Hebrew National or Ballpark franks. Coke or Pepsi? Try them out, and see what you like. Not hard to switch.

Michael
Old 10-13-2006, 03:28 PM   #36
archer6

Model: 8310

I use Yahoo Mail Plus and its really fast. I've tested it sitting in front of the computer with the BB sitting on my desk.

When I send myself a message from another account it arrives on the PC and the BB at exactly the same instant. Reconciliation is instant also. Absolutely no delays whatsoever. I'm very happy with my new 7130c. Works flawlessly.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:37 PM   #37
secrecyguy

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

Gmail is the way to go. It blows all the other free e-mails away.

Right now I have Gmail and Hotmail. I use Hotmail for junk mail but I might stop using Hotmail because Gmail have very good SPAM filter on it. Or I may decided to make a 2nd account at Gmail.

Just make sure you get someone to invite you in since Gmail is on a permenent BETA version for some odd reason.

You could also sign up by phone but you have to give out your phone number though.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:20 PM   #38
dchandler

Model: 8703e
PIN: 32BAD635
Carrier: SPRINT

i cant get my gmail to work. Can somebody help me
Old 10-14-2006, 12:26 PM   #39
dkf747
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8520
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly
The problem for me with Gmail is that mail sent FROM the BB seems to be stuck with the Gmail email address in the From field, no matter how you set it up on the BIS.
Scroll to your name, before sending, click the wheel, and choose "change option".
Old 10-27-2006, 01:37 PM   #40
b1g b3n

Model: 8703e
Carrier: VZW

I have yahoo and gmail set up as my 2 BIS addresses. They both seem to send/receive almost instantly. I haven't noticed a significant difference in the 2.

i don't user proper capitalization when typing.
Closed Thread