Old 12-01-2006, 01:22 PM   #21
ld-runner
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcourtneymobile
My BB recently died and I have replaced it with a Blackjack. As like ....
Do you like it? I was thinking about picking one up. but now the pearl is almost to Cingular stores, i can't decide...
Old 12-01-2006, 01:43 PM   #22
mcourtneymobile

Model: None

I will try this reg setting. I have not changed that one as of yet.

I do like it a lot. The form factor is great and the screen is awesome. And the real kicker is the 3G net speed. It screams!!!! At times it is faster than my cable modem. I really want the BB Connect to work so I can keep it. If I don't get it to work then my next step is the Peral.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:51 PM   #23
ld-runner

yea, the pearl tho is not 3G. since i run exchange server, either one works for me, but i do have a slight preference to BES. exchange 2003 SP2 push is ok, but at times slow. i have a feeling tho, that on a 3G network, that speed would be greatly improved. How is the battery life on the BJ?
Old 12-01-2006, 01:57 PM   #24
mcourtneymobile

No go on the reg setting (HKLM\Security\Policies\Policies\0000101a = 0 (DWORD decimal). I changed it and it still is not letting the CAB be installed. The same message appears "Unable to install. Uncertified system software detected." I'm concerned that it is somehow locked in the ROM and I would have to Flash it with some "unlocked" version.

Any other suggestions?
Old 12-01-2006, 02:10 PM   #25
ld-runner

that would appear to me that your cab file is looking at the hardware. there may not be anyway around that...hows the battery life on the BJ?
Old 12-01-2006, 02:15 PM   #26
ld-runner

i was just reading where you got that file.....the Palm 750w is a windows mobile 5 device. the blackjack is a wm5 for smartphone device. 2 different os's. there is no hope for what you are trying to do i think.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:10 PM   #27
mcourtneymobile

I guess I didn't think that WM5 and WM5 SP were that different. I thought there may be some difference but I thought I would at least try it. I think my options may be limited at this point. Our IT won't enable MS Push so the BES is my only option.

The battery life directly relates to the amount of Net or Email usage. When you surf a lot it sucks the battery pretty fast. I have had to charge it or swap batteries every night. That said I am a pretty heavy voice user (4-5 hrs a day) so that is another reason for the re-charge. All-in-all it the battery life really isn't that much different than my former BB 7100.

Next stop is a couple of the WM5 SP Forums to see if there are any backdoors. I'll update the post if I find something.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:46 PM   #28
Outrigger

Model: 8820

Motorola i930 for Nextel runs the SP edition of WM2003 SE, and I was able to decertify it using a couple of apps created by a couple of users on another forum so I can install 3rd party apps and not get the certificate message. So it is possible, but then again, that was WM2003 SE, not WM5. Best bet is to browse some WM5 forums.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:11 PM   #29
vincentnyc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

HOLY COW!!

just visited the cingular store today and they said this phone is running 3G (hspda) and it has 3G coverage in nyc. they show me the speed test...close to 800 for download, and 200 for upload. should be good for tethering.

gonna give it a considerable though..better than evdo.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:56 PM   #30
bweppner
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentnyc
HOLY COW!!

just visited the cingular store today and they said this phone is running 3G (hspda) and it has 3G coverage in nyc. they show me the speed test...close to 800 for download, and 200 for upload. should be good for tethering.

gonna give it a considerable though..better than evdo.
I bought a Blackjack yesterday to evaluate. Speed is great - 3G is FAST. Form factor is nice and the keyboard is plenty big. I also like the Bluetooth 2.0 and would like to try it with a stereo bluetooth headset.
Gripes:
I really like BES. Tried cingular's Xpressmail - not a big fan, nor do I want to keep my laptop on all the time(email forwarding). My company does not at this time support MS Push email, so my options are limited. Despite the keyboard being big enough, I miss BlackBerry's (8700c) more intuitive typing and the "Shift" key being on both sides of the keyboard. (It's only on the left side of the BlackJack). My goal is to have an "everything" device. Web, corporate email, organizer, QWERTY, and MP3 playing ability. Maybe the 8800 will be the device for me unless BB Connect comes out for the BlackJack...
Old 12-19-2006, 10:53 PM   #31
stufried
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: E61
Carrier: Eitislat

Quote:
it said this is the only GSM phone that does EDGE / UMTS / HSDPA. so when cingulars decide to roll out with HSPDA in 2007, this phone will be able to have high speed internet? this is coming out nov. 16, 2006 for a cool $200 w/ rebate.

u guys have any oppinions on this device?
My e61 does EDGE and UMTs. Unfortunately, it only does the European flavor (or is that flavour) of UMTs. When I am in London over the holidays, I will enjoy taking it out on the e-Autobahn and opening her up.

Hopefully the rumored E-63 will do both North American and European UMTs.

PS: Here is a link to another Windows Mobile device that at least handles UMTS in the North American range. I don't see anything about HSPDA. Club i-mate - i-mate JASJAM

Last edited by stufried; 12-19-2006 at 11:32 PM..
Old 12-20-2006, 08:32 AM   #32
MERK350Z
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
PIN: 294E926C
Carrier: T-MOBILE
Default crap

Quote:
it said this is the only GSM phone that does EDGE / UMTS / HSDPA. so when cingulars decide to roll out with HSPDA in 2007, this phone will be able to have high speed internet? this is coming out nov. 16, 2006 for a cool $200 w/ rebate.

u guys have any oppinions on this device?
i got the phone for as a back up phone and i returned it within 2 hrs the phone is sleek and nice looking amazing screen and fast internet thats all it has going for it. the system runs slow real slow almost as bad as the nokia E61, for example typeing a text message i had to pause for a split sec between each letter because if i type to fast it wont catch the letter before. ringer sound is way to low even at its max. i did try setting up pop e mail and download the emails, that worked fine but something simple as textmessage being slow wow to screw that up make me think twice. went back to the blackberry 8700c. returned the blackjack sold the E61 selling the nokia 9500 and 9300 nice to look at and show off but nothing special
Old 12-20-2006, 02:38 PM   #33
stufried
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: E61
Carrier: Eitislat

Does the Blackjack use the OMAP processor?

I think the problem with these processors is the fact that the fast processors burn through batteries too quickly and the slow ones are too sluggish. Further, these devices seem to run down far faster on wifi than in celluar mode. I'm not sure what the solution is.

Blackberries are great for what they do, but many of us wind up carrying multiple devices because we need to do more. I travel a great deal and the voip functions of the E61 save me a ton each month. At the moment, I've decided that the E61 is closer to what I want than the competition.

Stu
Old 12-20-2006, 06:31 PM   #34
BBJunkie

Model: Curve
PIN: No thankyou

Brothers and Sisters, I've had a HORRIBLE experience with the Blackjack. The battery life is horrible, the unit can't keep up with my typing and its ringer can use some help. I recently moved from the 8700 to the blackjack but I'm having to move the Pearl quick before I hang myself.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:45 PM   #35
vincentnyc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

i heard that too..battery life sux...as matter of fact...all phone that runs the full wm5 or wm5 mobile (partial version..or what not) HAVE terrible battery life.

is this statement true or false?
Old 12-21-2006, 08:48 AM   #36
bweppner
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Bold

Quote:
i heard that too..battery life sux...as matter of fact...all phone that runs the full wm5 or wm5 mobile (partial version..or what not) HAVE terrible battery life.

Probably why they ship it with two batteries and a charging/carry case.
3G also requires more juice (as I have heard) and of course, with the BlackJack you're tempted to be on the web more (it's blazingly fast - up to 800K download speeds or more), play mp3s, videos, etc. I'm evaluating one now, but I believe that my 8700c still suits my needs better.

Old 12-26-2006, 01:11 PM   #37
rjharary

Model: Droid
Carrier: Bell South

I dont know why every website is downplaying the awful battery life. Engadget Mobile doesnt mention it. Its probably because the blackjack is being advertised on their site. It is unfair and wrong to sell a phone with battery life that is so bad.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:18 PM   #38
Galvatron
No longer Registered.

Model: 8800
PIN: 240582A8
Carrier: tmobile

Comon you know whay so they can sell you more batteries and accessories
Old 12-26-2006, 05:14 PM   #39
Semi5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100T
Carrier: tmobile

Quote:

False.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:21 PM   #40
pinhead

Model: 9700
PIN: 30EC5097
Carrier: T-Mobile

The battery life statement is absolutely false!! It really makes me wonder about people and what they are doing to the phone to make it get such bad battery life. My Blackjack goes through a VERY heavy day of use and still has a 50-70% charge. That will easily get me though the next day.

I am running MS Direct Push, one pop3 account checking every 30 minutes, about 2 hours of calls today, 20 emails and even more texts so far, plus I have spent about an hour on the internet with it over the course of the day while waiting for dinner and the car wash...and the ladies to finish shopping...you know the drill. I have over 60% battery left right now and might not even charge it tonight just to see if it gets me through tomorrow.

I have to agree about it not being able to keep up when I type particularly quickly. I have slowed down my typing to work around this but that is annoying. The 8700g I just got doesn't have Voice Command or anything similar so I am not using it like I thought I would but it is excellent for typing and phone use...and I can type at full speed on it!

Nothing is perfect but people are really wrong about the Blackjack's battery life...unless they are doing something with it that I am not.

Last edited by pinhead; 12-26-2006 at 09:24 PM..