JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: *

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceschab View Post
"The carrier allegedly threatened to drop BlackBerries entirely from its network when RIM protested the limitation, according to the source."

No way. Does any one seriously believe ATT would put itself in a position to be the only provider in North America not to sell Blackberries. They would lose a helluva lot more customers than just those who want full GPS capability. Why risk losing that customer base when when the initial enthusiasm for the iPhone will soon wear off (if it hasn't already) and it will be nothing more than than just another smartphone.
This just shows how big of a pu**y RIM is at this point in time. They are so easily scared by these BS tactics. RIM's stock is so overpriced the owners are scared to loose their market share. It's going to come back and bite them in the ass when consumers realize they are getting corrupted by the carriers they sell to. If you ask me, RIM needs to start giving the option to buy direct from them. Circumvent the carriers and show them who's boss. After all, without the companies that make these phones the carriers are useless. They sell a service, they don't make the devices that work on the service. The real power is in the hands of those that provide the hardware, only problem is they have been so blinded by cowering down and just taking their money. The consumers really need to bite down and start forcing these companies to change their ways. We need some wide range Consumerism here people. Take the control back!
Old 08-16-2007, 10:23 PM   #22
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

all i see is another rumor. and for all i know this is done to get publicity for the release of the 8820.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:24 PM   #23
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

Wirelessly posted (8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

But let's say I go spend 700 on an unbranded bb straight from rim. Its still the service provider who says I can or cannot use it on their network
Old 08-16-2007, 11:29 PM   #24
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit View Post
Wirelessly posted (8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

But let's say I go spend 700 on an unbranded bb straight from rim. Its still the service provider who says I can or cannot use it on their network
That's because not a lot of people do it, so the carriers get away with not allowing it. Nokia for instance sells phones direct... more manufacturers should do this and sell at a discount to drive carriers to compete on plans alone.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:05 AM   #25
CBR900RR
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: Tmobile

I just don't understand this reverse psychology, you crip the GPS on the verizon 8830, people will move to sprint, same goes for 8820 AT&T and tmobile, especially now days, you can keep you cell number when moving to different carrier.
I always thought competition is to lower the price and give more feature?
Old 08-17-2007, 12:44 AM   #26
wabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98
Quote:

That's because not a lot of people do it, so the carriers get away with not allowing it. Nokia for instance sells phones direct... more manufacturers should do this and sell at a discount to drive carriers to compete on plans alone.
I do agree but not all carriers have the same service tho. Or covrage
Old 08-17-2007, 02:46 AM   #27
BFEINZIMER
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
I feel the same way

also cant you just see all the ATT disables the GPS im sueing threads now.

there are already three threads on this very subject lol

at least att hasent falsly advertised
Old 08-17-2007, 05:24 AM   #28
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFEINZIMER View Post
at least att hasent falsly advertised
and neither did the other
Old 08-17-2007, 06:55 PM   #29
986Jim

Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers

Im on Bell in Ontario where RIM is from and my BB 8830 is fully GPS enabled and Bell is making an integrated voice GPS system to work with BB maps so I don't even have to use a seperate device or software. The GPS is amazing, I have used it on a number of occations.

I too said oh I'll never use the GPS thats no big deal, however I find myself using it a lot. The best part is for directions you just have the GPS find you whereever you currently are then plot your direction. I found my self missing my exit from the highway on my way to somewhere I Have never been. I just plotted a course getting the GPS to pinpoint my current location then map to where I am going with the gps enabled. It took me the back route which was really fast vs. turning around at the next exit and back tracking. I couldn't live without it now after having it.

Last edited by 986Jim; 08-17-2007 at 06:56 PM..
Old 08-17-2007, 07:42 PM   #30
GT5L
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: askme
Carrier: AT&T
Default Execuse me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98 View Post
You're wasting your time. It's not even linked to the OS. It's linked to the firmware file which is the same throughout all the carriers (at least the instruction set to disable the GPS on VZW). If you really want to fix this issue find a way to change the Carrier ID the phone shows when you do #HELP* Send. If you can change this ID you can defeat the GPS lockout. Find my other posts on this, I'm getting tired of repeating myself.
OK, thanks for being such a pr&*K. what are the enteries on your (from being such a frustrated soul I assume you are a VZW cusomer) CDMA edit screen. Below is what mine reads. And excuse me for trying to help, GPS work fine on my 8830 Sprint.

Mobile directory number (my phone #)
IMSI_S (my phone #)
Mobile Country Code 310
Mobile network code 00
Home SID 4139
Home NID 65535
MO Voice SO Home 3
MO Voice SO Roam 32768
MT Voice SO Home 3
Blackberry Registration ID 4139
Home system registration True
Foriegn SID Registration True
Foriegn NID Reg True
A Key
MIP User ID (my vision ID)
Reverse tunneling support True
Home address 0.0.0.0
Primary HA address (valid ip)
Secondary HA Address (valid ip)
User profile index 1
Old 08-17-2007, 11:02 PM   #31
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT5L View Post
OK, thanks for being such a pr&*K. what are the enteries on your (from being such a frustrated soul I assume you are a VZW cusomer) CDMA edit screen. Below is what mine reads. And excuse me for trying to help, GPS work fine on my 8830 Sprint.

Mobile directory number (my phone #)
IMSI_S (my phone #)
Mobile Country Code 310
Mobile network code 00
Home SID 4139
Home NID 65535
MO Voice SO Home 3
MO Voice SO Roam 32768
MT Voice SO Home 3
Blackberry Registration ID 4139
Home system registration True
Foriegn SID Registration True
Foriegn NID Reg True
A Key
MIP User ID (my vision ID)
Reverse tunneling support True
Home address 0.0.0.0
Primary HA address (valid ip)
Secondary HA Address (valid ip)
User profile index 1
Hey, you're welcome. :rolleyes:

Don't get mad at me, I simply told you where the lockout is. It's not in the OS, I can't help it that you didn't know that. If it was a simple OS thing then loading another carrier's OS would simply solve this, which it doesn't.

Anyway, sorry, I told you the wrong screen hit ALT+SHIFT+H, that'll pull up the right screen. When on that screen you'll see your Carrier ID is not 105 (which is Verizon's) because you're with Sprint.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:43 AM   #32
wabbit

Jrsc: just a question but when let's say I downloaded verizon .148 didn't I update the firmware. Or is this firmware something rim burns to the phone. Just wondering
Old 08-18-2007, 12:52 AM   #33
BallHawk3
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

How STUPID of AT&T, in favor of the iPHONE? That has the be the dumbest thing i've ever heard (if its true at all).

If I were RIM, I would DROP AT&T. Plenty of other carriers out there.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:35 AM   #34
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Quote:

Jrsc: just a question but when let's say I downloaded verizon .148 didn't I update the firmware. Or is this firmware something rim burns to the phone. Just wondering
Yes, you did. The firmware file comes with all OSs, but it's "cross-carrier" desinged. This means that a firmware from another carrier is the same or same full instruction set to match up for all carriers with that phone. If you watch the update closely you'll see a point where the application loader screen quickly reboots the phone and states that it's hooking the boot rom. This is where the phone gets put into a low level mode to flash the firmware onto the NVRAM. Then it reboots quickly again and starts loading the OS files on the phone. Once that's done the apps load and then the phone reboots again and does that long first bootup that takes about 10 minutes.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:37 AM   #35
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallHawk3 View Post
If I were RIM, I would DROP AT&T. Plenty of other carriers out there.
They did the same thing with Verizon when they requested the GPS in the 8830 to be disabled, except at that point they didn't get upset about it or at least it wasn't made public like this was. RIM really should have stuck to their guns on this for all carriers. It would have shown that they take pride in their devices and want the consumers to get ALL the technology in those devices. I'm really disapointed in RIM. If there was a way to make their stock prices go down because of this I would do it... just to teach them a lesson.

Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 08-18-2007 at 11:39 AM..
Old 08-18-2007, 09:14 PM   #36
OzzieDog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

What a major screw up at AT&T, it looks like the inmates are running the AT&T Asylum or is it Jobs and his ipod turn phone? Come on RIM dig in your heels.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:06 PM   #37
jetspeedz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: ATT

this is just sad news...

its all Corporate greed... $$$$ for Rim/At&t/TeleNav... they are all getting a piece of the pie at consumer expense...

Going to switch to Tmo eventually myself if the 9xxx is not 3G capable
Closed Thread