BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 11-24-2009, 10:05 AM   #381
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

wbl2008, doesn't matter if it works in another device, it isn't working in yours, right.

I don't understand why you would come here asking for advice, get it, and reject it.

I've seen way too many SIM cards fail in one BlackBerry and work in another. It could work for you, and it is THE simplest thing to troubleshoot first.

But if you know better, then let it be your lost cause.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:25 PM   #382
djohnson5146

Model: Storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Att
Default Problems

I don't have the shared folder

WHere is it?
Old 11-24-2009, 03:59 PM   #383
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnson5146 View Post
I don't have the shared folder

WHere is it?
You have not installed the OS to your PC.

It would be at c:\programfiles\commonfiles\researchinmotion\share d
Old 11-24-2009, 08:15 PM   #384
wbl2008

Model: 9530
Carrier: AT&T

@Jsanders: I appreciate the additional information. My post came after hours of attempting to get it to work and at least an hour on the phone with AT&T (they really were trying everything they could, at least to my knowledge). A tad bit of frustration on my end.

I just came back from the AT&T store. They tried the SIM swap without success and even did some additional attempts at making it work. Same deal, everything but phone. Just not in the cards for me I suppose. That's the gamble when trying to use these things. I've been lucky up until this time; was running an unlocked, unbranded Curve until I damaged it at work.

Anyone interested in a cheap unlocked Storm 9530?

Best of luck to others trying to make this work.

WBL
Old 11-24-2009, 08:27 PM   #385
djohnson5146

Model: Storm
Carrier: Att
Default Service books transfer

When I try and transfer the service books it won't let me unless the device is connected...when i reconnect it it doesn't show anything....

Ideas?
Old 11-25-2009, 09:46 AM   #386
scdsteffes

Model: 9550
Carrier: ATT

"your account is not accessible by HTML browser. please use your device and try again".

I receive the above message when trying to log in and send the service books..

help!!!!! I have no browser.. it keeps disappearing.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:20 PM   #387
CarrierTen

Model: 9700
PIN: 2120FB17

Need to force load a set of service books to have the browser appear.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:09 PM   #388
scdsteffes

Carrier: ATT

is there a way to force load the service books... its greyed out when I try it with the BB Desktop Manager/Backup-Restore/Advance route.....

cheers
Old 11-26-2009, 02:02 PM   #389
huchyy

Carrier: Mobinil

will an unlocked 9550 work on 3g in europe?
and should i need to do the instructions at the top of this thread?
Old 11-26-2009, 09:33 PM   #390
blackberryzen

Model: 9700
Carrier: T Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by scdsteffes View Post
is there a way to force load the service books... its greyed out when I try it with the BB Desktop Manager/Backup-Restore/Advance route.....

cheers
Silly question, but when you went to the advanced screen from DM, a pop up should have asked you a question, and you should say no or cancel. if you don't it won't work. Sorry but I don't remember the exact question.
In DM,

Back up and Restore
Advanced
somewhere between the advanced page opening, when you go to the file dropdown menu to open the service book file, then it loads the file for you to click on it and then click the arrow to add it to your device.
Somewhere in this process on an unlocked storm, a window will pop up while it is reading/loading the device data. Whatever you clicked the first time?? click the opposite.

Sorry if this seems like rambling, but I had such an issue with it at first, and this was my problem.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:23 PM   #391
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by huchyy View Post
will an unlocked 9550 work on 3g in europe?
and should i need to do the instructions at the top of this thread?
Not on 3G, no.

According to what you plan to do, you might need these instructions.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:30 PM   #392
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scdsteffes View Post

cheers
Try this, in your Options > Advanced > Service Books, do you have an entry of "[Desktop] sync"?

If so, delete that entry. Now go try to load your service books. Complete that, and when finished, go back to that [desktop] sync entry, and press Menu > Undelete
Old 11-27-2009, 09:31 PM   #393
whitefoxxx

Carrier: att
Default how do i get browser to pop up for my storm 9550 on att internet

look ive tried the above process is this different? i really want my browser to work and its not showing at all. i go to program files and that dameon thingy deoesn't show share d doesn't show i really need some help its really frustrating. please someone helpppp!!!!!
Old 11-27-2009, 11:00 PM   #394
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Wirelessly posted (9530; (I'm mobile) MF231; 35h)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefoxxx
look ive tried the above process is this different? i really want my browser to work and its not showing at all. i go to program files and that dameon thingy deoesn't show share d doesn't show i really need some help its really frustrating. please someone helpppp!!!!!
You can't have "done the process" if you can't find the shared folder or remove the daemon thingy.

You skipped the pre-step of loading your current OS to the PC.
Please read ALL the instructions.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:47 PM   #395
js8229

For everyone trying to get their browser to show up I've been able to do it simply by using DM to force the generic ATT service books (the ones attached to this thread). I do lose the browser once in a while; it happened today after a reboot from a s/w install (update to BB messenger IIRC). My browser will only work via hotspot (wifi) though so it's not completely working. I've never gotten it to work via edge (but then again would I want to?)

Loaded the service books again through DM and now the browser is back (although BB maps shows up too but I lose that as soon as I resend my BIS service books--oh well.)

I'm on ATT w/ a 9550.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:27 AM   #396
whitefoxxx

I tried all of the steps. are these the same steps for the blackberry 9550 ? because i see up to certain steps and can't find where to remove the daemon cod and add att service books. ive done so much research on this and have come to failure again and again. if it isn't the same steps can you please post them that would be great im sorry but its just not working for my storm 2
Old 11-29-2009, 01:29 AM   #397
whitefoxxx

also installing my os on the pc is just by linking it to the computer and it does the automatic install right? thanks for your help
Old 11-29-2009, 12:32 PM   #398
js8229

Sorry for the long post. I thought I'd throw in my .02 cents here just because I've been through this several times now and I do see a few places that I thought could use clarification. The instructions do work though, so the OP definitely has the plan down. Don't quote me on the process, I'm going from memory but I think this might help a few out there. I'm using a PC with Windows 7 RC (7100) for reference.

One quick note though, since I'm on my first BB (yeah I'm a noob to the platform so there) I did have to unlock my BB first and I verified that I could make a call on ATT before anything else was done. I did update my ATT plan before I started these instructions too, and my storm2--9550--was fresh out of a sealed box so that might have helped me I'm not sure. I made sure my data plan was a Blackberry plan--I was on an iPhone plan previously. From what I understand, you must be on a BB data plan or you can just hang it up now; it won't work….ever.

Took a minute or two and the ATT rep made the change right on the phone, which in theory would send the proper service books but since they don't have any for the Storm it's not a complete deal, which is why I think you need these instructions here. Same cost as my iPhone data plan and no questions asked. He needed my IMEI #, which is easy to find (Berrys > Options > Advanced Options > Status) and what model BB I had. If you've just unlocked like I did, you'll have the IMEI handy anyway, right? I said it was a "bold" too, to avoid any imperial entanglements. So check out my comments on the process and I certainly hope this helps someone.

1. Download the ATT service books (use the link on the first page of the thread). Unzip the file on your PC and remember where you placed the file on your PC.

So, this is basically just a .zip file you unzip to a specific location (hence the remembering where you put it part.) It unzips to a single small file (I think mine was something like 10k). I kept mine in the Downloads folder.

2. On the PC, go to C:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\ResearchInMotion\Share d\LoaderFiles\OS version\Java.
Create a new folder and name is ATT. Find the .cod named net_rim_bb_browser_dameon and move the cod to your new folder.

Here, you just want to move the net_rim_bb_browser_daemon.cod file to a different folder so the desktop manager program can't find it and thinks it should be removed from the device (and yeah, it's a bit of a hack so that's why it seems strange.) If you don't have the path, it's probably because you don't have the OS installed on the PC. You have to download that one, unzip it, and then install. The latest OS versions for your device are linked to sticky threads in this forum so no worries there.

Go to the folder listed in this step-- and note that the folder name is "shared" and not "share d". I assumed it was a typo when I when through it since there's a "shared" folder but it might not be obvious. Also, make sure you realize you're substituting the "OS version" in the path name with the Blackberry OS you have installed so it's not a literal name. Also, if you have a 64-bit OS, you want to look in c:\program files (x86).

3. Plug in device and open DM > AppLoader > Add/Remove Programs and work your way through the process to remove the net_rim_bb_browser_dameon module. You won't notice any changes until after you see the Application loader screen, don't click any check boxes, just click Next, and then Finish. ONLY after clicking Finish will you see a quick notice that the browser_daemon module is being removed.
Close DM on completion. Allow your Storm to reboot.

This one might cause a few folks to get lost. So in this step, you honestly want to "go through the motions" of Add/Remove since that's what's going to cause the removal of the .cod file you moved in step 2. I kept thinking I needed to "do" something and just couldn't see what to do. It's nothing you need to actually do--just click next and/or finish to "work your way through" to the end. DM will think it needs to remove the browser code file just because it doesn't see it in your OS load (because you moved it to a new folder that it doesn't know about.) Once you get to the final "finish" you *might* see the message just because if nothing else is changing it's really quick, at least on my machine. It'll do the job though and you will see your device reboot as a result.

4. Open DM again. Go to Backup/Restore > Advanced. On the right is the Storm's data and service books. On the left select File > Open > Select the service book file you downloaded. Click once to highlight it, and then click the bottom arrow (to move it from the left box to the right).
Go back to main menu of DM.

Pretty easy one to do here. Just do what the instructions say and when you get into Advanced, click "File…" and then click "open." Point to the ATT service books you downloaded *and unzipped* (you did remember where they are, right?) Open the file and it will appear as a single "service books" on the left-hand side of the window. Highlight it and click ">>>" to move it. You'll be asked if you want to replace the current service books, and yes you do. It'll let you know they were installed and you can go back to the main menu in DM.

5. Go to C:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\ResearchInMotion\Share d\Loader\OS version\Java then to the folder you created named ATT. Right click the module > Cut.
Go back to main Java folder and paste it back.

This step-- you're just moving the .code file for the browser back into place again so just reverse what you did in step 2. It goes back with all the other .cod files in your OS distro.

6. Plug in device and open DM > AppLoader > Add/Remove > and proceed your way through. You will see net_rim_bb_browser_dameon.cod file being replaced.

Again, you're just going through the steps. Click the final "finish" and you'll see it putting the browser .cod file back on your device. Reboot as usual on the BB.

-- at this point you should definitely see the Browser icon on your BB. If you don't, try step #4 again. Also, try this: see if you have the "browser" app running on your blackberry under "switch applications." If you do, then it's loaded alright but just not allowing you to use it. If you try to activate it using switch apps, it'll tell you that you can't use it because there's no service book for it. That's a clue that you need step 4 again. Once you do that step, and the service books get loaded, you should immediately see the icon. Of course, any BIS service books you have will be monkeyed up so you'll need to resend those now in the next step.

7. Now go to AT&T BIS Page log in and resend your service books. URL is on the first page as well.

You might have to create an account for this to work (I did) since I'd never had a BIS account before. Once you're in your account, either create your email addresses you'd like to use or verify that what you want is already there. Then, to resend the svc. books go to "help" on the left side and click the big "send service books" button. You'll get confirmation that they're on the way. Takes a few seconds and you should see an icon on the home screen for each email address you have configured there.

8. On your Storm go to Option > Advanced Options > TCP/APN should say
APN: wap.cingular
Username:WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password: CINGULAR1

Right-- so if it doesn't say this you have to update the settings there. Just make them like they are above and you're set. As far as I can tell this is always a manual configuration and doesn't come from any service settings sent to the device.

9. You may need to reboot the BB one more time. (I didn't.)

One comment on EDGE vs. edge too. Mine changes sometimes, but always seems to go back to EDGE when it's idling. I'm not entirely sure what the difference is, but I see no difference either way. I'm set to GSM and 2g/3g under my mobile settings. The GSM part you'll have to do as part of the unlock anyway just to get it to come up on ATT with your SIM card inside.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:57 PM   #399
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefoxxx View Post
are these the same steps for the blackberry 9550 ? because i see up to certain steps and can't find where to remove the daemon cod and add att service books.
The steps are exactly the same, no difference. If you can't find "where to remove the daemon cod", you need to follow the exact path on your PC I've given in the instructions. If you can't find the "Shared" folder, then you have not installed your OS to the PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefoxxx View Post
also installing my os on the pc is just by linking it to the computer and it does the automatic install right? thanks for your help
I don't know what ^^ that means. You must download the OS file, and install by double-clicking on the .exe file you download.

Good luck.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:59 PM   #400
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by js8229 View Post
One comment on EDGE vs. edge too. Mine changes sometimes, but always seems to go back to EDGE when it's idling. I'm not entirely sure what the difference is, but I see no difference either way. I'm set to GSM and 2g/3g under my mobile settings. The GSM part you'll have to do as part of the unlock anyway just to get it to come up on ATT with your SIM card inside.
Read my instructions in the initial post. Set your device to 2G only. You can't get 3G, and as the device searches for 3G, it will often fall back to "edge".