BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 08:22 AM   #61
schalliol
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

I must have missed this somewhere, but new features were mentioned. Is there a list of changes/improvements for this version relative to the previous? Thanks!
Old 06-28-2007, 10:42 AM   #62
Votech

Model: 8700g
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
And, for once, they are correct. If the activation is not completing then you likely have something corrupt in your data being sync'd. Make sure you are in good coverage area (3-4 bars min.) Do a security wipe on the device (Options >Security Options >General Settings >menu key-Wipe handheld) and then have your IT dept give you another activation password. Many times it just takes a long time for the sync. The biggest culprit is phone logs. They need to be cleaned out from time to time as the BES records them all. thousands of phone logs can make the activation take hours.

John,
I was finally able to fix the problem. The e-mail filter at work was sending the e-mail generated during activiation from the BES server to my Junk-mail folder instead of my regular in-box. Every time I tried to activate, I noticed all these e-mails going into my junk mail folder coming from the Blackberry Server. Once I created a rule in Outlook to make sure the e-mail response from the server went to the right place, everything worked perfectly. I have to give credit to T-Mobile though, they stuck with me and even called me at work this morning and talked to our BES admin on my behalf though it didn't help anything.

Anyway, problem solved. Thanks again for your help.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:03 PM   #63
Roscoe
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700C
Carrier: Cingular

Nuts. I was just typing a long email describing my cluelessness and a requqest for clear step by step instructions. Then I read page two of this thread. I simply do not have the time to risk all this hassle. I only wanted to update to 4.2 so I could transfer reingtones directly rather than through my web page. Ain't worth it for that.

That said, I have OS 4.1.0.194 and Desktop version 4.1.0.8.

What features are gained by upgrading?
Old 06-29-2007, 10:40 AM   #64
kennyadex1

PIN: 20204C0B
Carrier: MTN NIGERIA
Default help me out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarDaddy View Post
I migrated into the AT&T 4.2.1.155/4.2.1.96 without any problems. So far, there's no difference between this one and the Bharti release which I had before. Although the first bootup was faster as compared to other version of the 4.2.1.xxx. However, the loudness of the ringtones is of my main concern. I don't think there's a difference in the volume of the ringtones as the other 4.2 releases. Same shitty volume!
HI, I HAVE A LITTLE PROBLEM WITH MY DEVICE(8700G). IT CRASHED LAST WEEK GIVEN ME "JVM ERROR". I TRIED DOWNLOADING THE LATEST OS 4.2.X.X.X BUT I COULD NOT BECAUSE MY INTERNET CONNECTION IS VERY SLOW.I ALSO TRIED TO USE DOWNLOAD ACCELERATOR BUT IT DID NOT WORK BECAUSE RIM'S WENSITE DOES NOT SUPPORT IT. PLS I WOULD LIKE IT IF U CAN HELP ME BURN UR COPY ON A CD-ROM AND SEND IT TO ME.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:19 PM   #65
anderson

Model: 8800
Carrier: Tmobile
Thumbs up

Tmobile 8700g on BIS here.

The os update went perfectly. Edge and everything else works great.
Tethered modem works fine on XP and Vista. If you are having issues search! There really isn't anything vastly different here that hasn't been covered 1000 times before.

Upgraded from a previous version of 4.2. Looks like another winner.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:33 PM   #66
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson View Post
Tmobile 8700g on BIS here.

The os update went perfectly. Edge and everything else works great.
Tethered modem works fine on XP and Vista. If you are having issues search! There really isn't anything vastly different here that hasn't been covered 1000 times before.

Upgraded from a previous version of 4.2. Looks like another winner.
Same here! Been using the 4.2.1.96 version and love it. Everything works great!
Old 06-29-2007, 02:47 PM   #67
rosen014

Carrier: At&T
Default keyboard unlock

I just "upgraded" to latest OS (4.2.1.96), and am having trouble with the keyboard unlock functions. The keyboard locks either by ALT+Enter or the clicking the screen icon in the usual way. But, the normal method of unlocking isn't working. Clicking the wheel once shows the 3 option buttons: Unlock - Emergency Call - Cancel, but clicking on Unlock brings up the "Keypad is Locked" message. The only thing that will unlock it is the * + SEND sequence.

Anybody have a fix?
Old 06-30-2007, 12:02 AM   #68
snirody

Default New Password WTH?

Fpllowed these instrux exactly and upgraded. When I go to unlock handheld it immediately asks "Enter Password", when I do it asks "New Password" and then ""Invalid Password Sequence was entered" for anything I do... What the <blank> has happened, and more importantly, how do I get past this?
SNi

Quote:
Originally Posted by will6007 View Post
Software For BlackBerry 8700c(AT&T)

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.2.1.155 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 4.2.1.155
Consisting of:
Applications: 4.2.1.96
Software Platform: 2.3.0.79
File name: 8700M_PBr4.2.1_rel155_PL2.3.0.79_A4.2.1.96_AT&T.ex e
File size: 61.77MB
Note: The Software Platform and Applications version numbers can be found under Options-About screen on the handheld.

Downloadxxx65306;https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...E4F82F9F00E7D4

Instructions for installing:

1. Make sure you have the latest version of Desktop Manager installed. It's 4.2 SP2.
2. Download the above file to the PC then install it to the PC by running the file you downloaded. (Choose the 8700c AT&T version)
3. Locate the vendor.xml file and delete it. It's located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader
4. Plug in BB and Open Desktop Manager. You should be prompted to upgrade.

The process takes about 45 minutes to an hour depending on how much data you have to backup and restore during the process. Once it's done loading the new OS it will reboot (it may do this twice during the entire process.) You will see a white screen with an hourglass for up to 20 minutes at a time while the DM says "waiting for initialization."

If you end up with a white screen with small icons and the number 507, simply connect to DM again and run application loader again and it should load the OS to the device.

(Previous 4.2.1.94 OS thread: Click Here)

Edited Blackberry.alx below for adding all vendor themes. Simply replace your Blackberry.alx file with the one attached and run Application Loader again to install the themes.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:40 AM   #69
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosen014 View Post
I just "upgraded" to latest OS (4.2.1.96), and am having trouble with the keyboard unlock functions. The keyboard locks either by ALT+Enter or the clicking the screen icon in the usual way. But, the normal method of unlocking isn't working. Clicking the wheel once shows the 3 option buttons: Unlock - Emergency Call - Cancel, but clicking on Unlock brings up the "Keypad is Locked" message. The only thing that will unlock it is the * + SEND sequence.

Anybody have a fix?
This is normal with all 4.2 OS's since the Pearl came out. It's so that you don't inadvertantly unlock it while it's in your pocket. It's a carry-over from track ball devices. I guess RIM doesn't consider it a problem.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:14 PM   #70
neilr

Carrier: Cingular / AT&T
Default click/buzz noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeproks View Post
I just tried this version and my 8700c still does the on/off on the speaker which sounds like clicking when I put my ear close to it. Anybody gets the same thing on theirs? TIA
My GF and I each have a T-Mo 8700g unlocked and running on Cingular/AT&T. I upgraded them to the 4.2 linked at the top of this thread. I've just noticed that my phone is making the same clicking/buzzing noise that you've described. I don't know about my GF's BB.

I've also noticed that messages are sometimes delayed. Specifically, I'll receive a few messages (using PIN messaging) at once, and some of them will be timestamped 10 - 15 minutes earlier. I'm also not getting notifications for all of my incoming messages.

I'm going to try reinstalling the OS w/o saving my data. If that doesn't fix it, I guess we're going back to whatever the latest 4.1 release is. Anybody know right off which carrier has the newest and most stable 4.1?

-neil
Old 07-01-2007, 08:52 AM   #71
schalliol
Thumbs Must Hurt

I am on AT&T and loaded 155 and am still looking for a change list. I now see that the BB Dimension Today theme operates differently. Hitting the applications button brings up a classic matrix of icons and I see no way to hide or organize applications. Does anyone know how to do this?

My initial change list (at least as I noticed):
  • BB Dimension Today adjustment per above
  • BB Dimension Today Animated New Message Indicator
  • BB Dimension Today theme has more visual finesse: i.e. light gradation in menus, light graphic on incoming calls, etc.
  • New AT&T Theme
  • Scroll Wheel Won't Unlock Keyboard (even though it says it will)
  • Pictures now part of media, which shows ringtones and pictures as options.
  • Can play WAV attachments

What else?

Last edited by schalliol; 07-01-2007 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: Adding WAV to list
Old 07-01-2007, 08:25 PM   #72
schalliol
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wow! I now can play WAV attachments!! This is great because I can use You Mail and listen to my voice mails through my email, as well as my Vonage voice mails. Perhaps this has worked for others in the past, but it's the first time for me.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:21 PM   #73
psyct1
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: iPhon
PIN: ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Yes you can. Scroll the wheel to the last icon on the home screen (6th position) and click the wheel. On the resulting page move the icons where you want them. The first 5 icons will be the ones that show up when you go back to the home screen. (by pushing the button below the scroll wheel a few tmes.)

I assume you know to alt+click wheel to move each icon, right?
wow, thanks buddy, i forgot about that, i thought they were all stuck also... NOW i love this 4.2...

i'm picking up a curve sometime this week though... might have to give the 8700c to the old lady...
Old 07-01-2007, 10:35 PM   #74
schalliol
Thumbs Must Hurt

That's great info. I previously used the organize applications button in Zen's Today theme.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:13 AM   #75
vinnes

Model: 8700G
Carrier: Trigcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosen014 View Post

Anybody have a fix?
If you set a password it will work. With no password set on the device, you have to use * + green/send.

I guess it is too easy to unlock it with the scrollwheel when you have no password set. You dont want it to unlock in your pocket.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:44 AM   #76
khonglaaica

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Default I can't download file

Quote:
Originally Posted by will6007 View Post
Software For BlackBerry 8700c(AT&T)

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.2.1.155 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 4.2.1.155
Consisting of:
Applications: 4.2.1.96
Software Platform: 2.3.0.79
File name: 8700M_PBr4.2.1_rel155_PL2.3.0.79_A4.2.1.96_AT&T.ex e
File size: 61.77MB
Note: The Software Platform and Applications version numbers can be found under Options-About screen on the handheld.

Downloadxxx65306;https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...E4F82F9F00E7D4

Instructions for installing:

1. Make sure you have the latest version of Desktop Manager installed. It's 4.2 SP2.
2. Download the above file to the PC then install it to the PC by running the file you downloaded. (Choose the 8700c AT&T version)
3. Locate the vendor.xml file and delete it. It's located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader
4. Plug in BB and Open Desktop Manager. You should be prompted to upgrade.

The process takes about 45 minutes to an hour depending on how much data you have to backup and restore during the process. Once it's done loading the new OS it will reboot (it may do this twice during the entire process.) You will see a white screen with an hourglass for up to 20 minutes at a time while the DM says "waiting for initialization."

If you end up with a white screen with small icons and the number 507, simply connect to DM again and run application loader again and it should load the OS to the device.

(Previous 4.2.1.94 OS thread: Click Here)

Edited Blackberry.alx below for adding all vendor themes. Simply replace your Blackberry.alx file with the one attached and run Application Loader again to install the themes.
I can't download file blackberry.zip, can you send it to me [email address] Thanks
Old 07-06-2007, 04:13 PM   #77
Cocooningweb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Cellular South

khonglaaica: I just sent you the alx file to your GMail.

--------

Yes yes yes ! Finally a version of 4.2 that delivers.

This is the third version of 4.2 I install on my 8700 and this is by far the fastest and more stable one I tried so far.

Last edited by Cocooningweb; 07-06-2007 at 04:19 PM..
Old 07-07-2007, 05:46 PM   #78
mymitsu3kgt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9780
PIN: 236676A8
Carrier: TMobile

There was some talk talk a while ago about how the 4.2 on the Pearl limited tethering speed. Has anyone noticed slower tethering with 4.2, maybe even a before and after speed test?
Old 07-08-2007, 02:24 AM   #79
No Longer Registered.

After much thought (and convincing), I finally upgraded my Tmobile 8700g OS 4.2.1.85 to this OS version.

First off, I have been having issues with Bluetooth Headset connection with 8700g. The issue about connecting and reconnecting / lost connection with my bluetooth headsets was just too "ear-ritating", regardless of whatever BT headset I am using. Owning more than a few headsets, I couldn't find the perfect one to work well with my BlackBerry. I think this is a well-known issue with this BB model.....

Secondly, with OS 4.2.1.85, one of my application (Expense Pro 2) does not run with the latter OS. Had to force myself to basically let go of this application since I find that the calls I make and receive are much better than that of the Tmo OS. Solved one issue and then created another....

Nothing seems to be perfect for my 8700g, at least that is what I thought....

Until I upgraded my OS this morning to this version...

A few of you are saying that there is not much of a difference or have not noticed any difference with your BlackBerry with this OS. Here are the following issues that this OS did for my BlackBerry:
  • Able to pair and connect and STAY connected with any of my Bluetooth Headsets, especially the Nokia BH-800 and the miniBlue H9 (my Plantronics 645, Plantronics 655 and Nokia BH-700 still have to pair - if I find them)
  • Able to run my Expense Pro 2 application without any problem
  • And lastly, when I am on GoogleTalk and will receive a phone call, I don't get booted out without my knowing it. I get non of those "uncaught exception" anymore. Even when I reboot my BB, I stay online with GT (as long as I don't log out )

So would I recommend this for you to try? To those of you who are having issues with BT Headset connection, I will say, Go For It!!! You might need to delete your paired devices and re-pair them again. Mine works great now! Stays connected even when I am using my Stowaway Shasta BT Keyboard.

Last edited by No Longer Registered.; 07-08-2007 at 02:26 AM..

Old 07-08-2007, 02:35 AM   #80
schalliol
Thumbs Must Hurt

I'm running on AT&T with an 8700c, but related to the last post, I have three Bluetooth headsets I use with my 8700c (and all stay connected as they should). Two Plantronics M3000 and a Sennheiser BW 900.
Closed Thread