Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 01:08 AM   #81
Malkier
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
Carrier: ALL

Please Login to Remove!

BlackBerry Cools post on the matter:

RIM and AT&T are negotiating a deal to leave the BlackBerry 8820 un-neutered; the Internet wins | BlackBerry Cool
Old 08-30-2007, 01:11 AM   #82
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Another good one!
Old 08-30-2007, 05:52 AM   #83
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Hech yeah I ussually buy my devices at invoice to avoid conract extensiion and possabl raiss of rates. Give me the un waterd down stuff heck I was intersted in on of thos htc advantage prototypes. Th 87501 just to see how it performs befor brandind also the shit wich is baseed off this prototype is 100-200 mhz slower than the prototype. And prbaly crippled . Imagain what no whatered dow bb's can do alon with an unrestricted os.
I doubt "we" would understand what you were talkign about if we heard you say it, much less write it. How far did you get thru school.

PULL YOUR PANTS UP!!!!!!!!
Old 08-30-2007, 07:44 AM   #84
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

I'm still in the belief that this was all a blog publicity thing and the ATT was going to do nothing different from the 8820 than they did in 8800.
Couple of blogs got alot of press out of this "crippling".
Old 08-30-2007, 08:17 AM   #85
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
I'm still in the belief that this was all a blog publicity thing and the ATT was going to do nothing different from the 8820 than they did in 8800.
Couple of blogs got alot of press out of this "crippling".
I think you may very well be right
Old 08-30-2007, 03:49 PM   #86
mansa
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: ----
Carrier: Rogers

I think the true answer will never be known.

What if AT&T really did plan to limit the GPS?

And then the blog let the cat out of the bag...

And then AT&T changed their mind...

And asked for it to be reverted.

Would there ever be a record of this, on the consumer side of things? I highly doubt it.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:59 PM   #87
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

AT&T, the BlackBerry 8820, and GPS: BGR MythBusters Edition | The Boy Genius Report

jibi has answered the questions.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:06 PM   #88
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Back in the old days of BBF, Jibi's user title was "The Internet." He's a smart guy.

I only gave the rumors merit because at the same time that news broke from Blackberrycool, Google Maps removed Bluetooth Support from the 8300's version of Google Maps. BBMaps removed the option as well. So, the news along with those two events had me wondering if something was up.

Google Maps has since added back in the Bluetooth Support for the 8300. Was it a simple oversight on Google's part? Was it all part of a big conspiracy to remove GPS from the "free" world? I'll leave that up to you as I don't know the answer, nor will I ever.

Just glad it was all a big rumor....or was it?
Old 10-09-2007, 04:40 PM   #89
KaZen
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8820
PIN: Umm... Tell me yours first?
Carrier: at&t
Default 8820 GPS is crippled.

BlackBerryCool was right (and wrong). I bought an 8820 and it *is* crippled! the GPS *only* works with TeleNav.

After literally *hours* on the phone with ATT and RIM. I'm taking the phone back to ATT right now.

Caveat Emptor!
Old 10-09-2007, 05:25 PM   #90
MichaelBB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 0000
PIN: Ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaZen View Post
BlackBerryCool was right (and wrong). I bought an 8820 and it *is* crippled! the GPS *only* works with TeleNav.

After literally *hours* on the phone with ATT and RIM. I'm taking the phone back to ATT right now.

Caveat Emptor!
Take this with a grain of salt or however, but I had one of those 2 weeks ago and it was NOT locked down, Google maps worked , BBMaps worked, so either AT&T change it or you have NO idea of what the **** your doing with GPS, I returned mine, have something better IHMO. But I know of 3 people that use the GPS with what I already said and they HAVE NO Problems.

DID you try reloading the OS?, AT&T's tech support was awesome for the BB when I had it, just could NOT stomach the over charging for data and txt messages.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:01 PM   #91
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:

Caveat Emptor!
Welcome to the forums,

Your post really doesn't help anyone, including yourself. What would have been helpful to you, and to us, would have been for you to post the problems you were having before taking the phone back. 140,000 forum members can, in many instances, solve problems that CSR's can't (and vice versa, occasionally.)

What exactly was the problem you had?
Old 10-09-2007, 08:10 PM   #92
kdog1176
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

Quote:

Caveat Emptor!
I have had no problems with GPS on my 8820 using Google Maps. It works great.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:15 PM   #93
KaZen

Default Followup. TeleNav *is* required. (Prove me wrong please!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Welcome to the forums,

Your post really doesn't help anyone, including yourself. What would have been helpful to you, and to us, would have been for you to post the problems you were having before taking the phone back. 140,000 forum members can, in many instances, solve problems that CSR's can't (and vice versa, occasionally.)

What exactly was the problem you had?
After posting I realized exactly this same thing. So. I've kept my phone. I activated TeleNav and *then* the GPS works fine, with TeleNav *and* Google Maps.

I called ATT and had them disable TeleNav and then the GPS does *not* work again.

RIM support *and* ATT support have both told me that the $5 or $10 TeleNav subscription *is* required in order to use the GPS.

Also I *installed* BBMaps on my phone through the desktop software, but due to the BlackBerry.alx or whatever file the *icon* won't show up.

If someone has Google Maps working with GPS on the 8820 I'm willing to bet they signed up for the 30 day free trial of TeleNav.

If so, they are going to be *very* unhappy when they cancel TeleNav and Google Maps stops working also.

I'd be *very* interested in hearing differences of opinion. If someone has an Idea of how to make it work without the service I will be *more that willing* to call ATT and disable the service again to test.

Since I have a full 30 days to take the phone back to ATT I will keep it around in case *someone* can prove me wrong (Please!!!).

This is my first BlackBerry. I was *very* angry with ATT yesterday. I'm still mad, but have talked to some *very* polite CSR's and I've calmed somewhat.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:35 PM   #94
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

Quote:
After posting I realized exactly this same thing. So. I've kept my phone. I activated TeleNav and *then* the GPS works fine, with TeleNav *and* Google Maps.

I called ATT and had them disable TeleNav and then the GPS does *not* work again.

RIM support *and* ATT support have both told me that the $5 or $10 TeleNav subscription *is* required in order to use the GPS.

Also I *installed* BBMaps on my phone through the desktop software, but due to the BlackBerry.alx or whatever file the *icon* won't show up.

If someone has Google Maps working with GPS on the 8820 I'm willing to bet they signed up for the 30 day free trial of TeleNav.

If so, they are going to be *very* unhappy when they cancel TeleNav and Google Maps stops working also.

I'd be *very* interested in hearing differences of opinion. If someone has an Idea of how to make it work without the service I will be *more that willing* to call ATT and disable the service again to test.

Since I have a full 30 days to take the phone back to ATT I will keep it around in case *someone* can prove me wrong (Please!!!).

This is my first BlackBerry. I was *very* angry with ATT yesterday. I'm still mad, but have talked to some *very* polite CSR's and I've calmed somewhat.
See the sticky to get BBMaps to show the icon. Then go outside with the BB away from your body and no buildings around and see if you can get the GPS t work. Bet it does.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:40 PM   #95
KaZen

Default Respectfully Disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBB View Post
Take this with a grain of salt or however, but I had one of those 2 weeks ago and it was NOT locked down, Google maps worked , BBMaps worked, so either AT&T change it or you have NO idea of what the **** your doing with GPS, I returned mine, have something better IHMO. But I know of 3 people that use the GPS with what I already said and they HAVE NO Problems.

DID you try reloading the OS?, AT&T's tech support was awesome for the BB when I had it, just could NOT stomach the over charging for data and txt messages.
My 8820 came loaded with v4.2.2.169 (Platform 2.4.0.67) The latest (in fact the only) version I could find for the 8820. The LBS.alx file includes the stanza:
Code:
<!-- For 8800 series, hide the icon for AT&T (102), Vodafone Germany (124), Vodafone Austria (137) and all Orange properties, including Amena (Orange Spain - 175). -->
  <fileset SystemSize="normal" Colour="True" Java="1.0" _vendorID="~102|124|137|119|162|142|183|147|217|175" series="8800">
   <files>
        net_rim_bb_lbs_ribbon.cod
   </files>
  </fileset>
But I went ahead and reinstalled anyway.

The GPS *only* works if you subscribe to the TeleNav service. But once you subscribe to TeleNav it will work with Goolgle Maps, etc. (just not BBMaps since you can't run it).

This is my first BB, but I *am* a technical person. I'd not post without doing a fair amount of research. Even if I did "have NO idea of what the **** [I'm] doing with GPS" I'd still stand by my research into this matter.
1. Confirmation with at&t "You have to have the TeleNav service to use the GPS"
2. Confirmation with RIM "at&t requires you purchase a TeleNav subscription to have access to the GPS"
3. My own verification that with the TeleNav Service I can read the GPS:
Options->Advanced Options->GPS->Refresh GPS acquires lat long.
4. My own verification that witout TeleNav Service I *cannot* read the GPS:
Options->Advanced Options->GPS->Refresh GPS *fails* to aquire lat long.

Notice my tests dont even use TeleNav, Google or anything other than the BB OS itself to try to read from the GPS.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:46 PM   #96
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

I'm gonna *have* to hear from *other* users before I am convinced.

What does *this* mean?
Old 10-10-2007, 11:19 PM   #97
KaZen

Default BGR acknowledges GPS-locked to TeleNav

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
I'm gonna *have* to hear from *other* users before I am convinced.

What does *this* mean?
Sorry *this* is shortcut for this. Some Forum software understands that shorthand, and usually when it doesn't the person reading it does.

As far as hearing from other users, how about BGR:
TeleNav sits down with us | The Boy Genius Report
Quote:
Did TeleNav know that the BlackBerry 8820 would be GPS-locked to only TeleNav ?
BGR, at least, seems to acknowledge that the 8820 is in fact "GPS-locked".
Old 10-11-2007, 05:37 AM   #98
kdog1176
Thumbs Must Hurt

The GPS on my 8820 works with google maps and I don't recall subscribing to telenav. I checked my att account online and do not see a telenav subscription.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:16 AM   #99
kdog1176
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ok I also installed BB Maps on my 8820 and edited LBS.alx file for icon to display. Launched the app and GPS is working.

I don't think you can subscribe to telenav without either calling them/AT&T or registering at there website (neither of which I have done). I went ahead and installed the telenav app (using the telenav download link on my blackberrry). After it installed I launched it and it asks for a ID (phone #) and pin/password. The FAQ section of the telenav download link stated the default pin/password would be the last 4 digits of my phone # (or the pin created when registering at telenav.com). I tried the last 4 digits of my phone # and could not log into the telenav app to use it. I think this is because I do not have a subscription.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:28 AM   #100
KaZen

Default Lets Compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog1176 View Post
Ok I also installed BB Maps on my 8820 and edited LBS.alx file for icon to display. Launched the app and GPS is working.

I don't think you can subscribe to telenav without either calling them/AT&T or registering at there website (neither of which I have done). I went ahead and installed the telenav app (using the telenav download link on my blackberrry). After it installed I launched it and it asks for a ID (phone #) and pin/password. The FAQ section of the telenav download link stated the default pin/password would be the last 4 digits of my phone # (or the pin created when registering at telenav.com). I tried the last 4 digits of my phone # and could not log into the telenav app to use it. I think this is because I do not have a subscription.

This is the printout from wireless.att.com of my account when GPS does work:
Code:
On your bill your rate plan will appear as: NATP450RUMM5KNW
ANYTIME MINUTES 	450
NIGHT/WKND MINUTES 	5000
MOBILE TO MOBILE 	Unlimited

INCLUDED FEATURES

MONTHLY COST
450 Rollover Mins 	$0.00
AT&T Domestic LD 	$0.00
GSM Coverage Area 	$0.00
Multimedia-PayPerMsg 	$0.00
Unlimited Expd M2M 	$0.00
5000 N&W 		$0.00
AT&T Direct Bill 	$0.00
AT&T Roam LD 		$0.00

ADDED FEATURES

MONTHLY COST

Manage Features
BBRYBISUNL 		$29.99
Detailed Billing 	$0.00
ExpandedIntlRoamgSvc 	$0.00
GAIT Calling Area 	$0.00
IMS APN Feature 	$0.00
TELENAV ROUTES UNL 	$0.00
TELENAV ROUTES UNL 	$9.99
Text Messaging 100 	$2.99
Upgrade Fee 		$0.00
I'll try having TeleNav turned off again and I'll repeat my tests. Since I've reinstalled the OS with the modified .alx files, hopefully I will have better results.
Closed Thread