Jwilliams1008
No longer Registered.

Model: 8310
PIN: 243b2864
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
To me, this statement is different than what you asked in your first post.
It goes hand in hand... If you aren't opposed to paying for a theme, you should at least want someone to try and take the next step and innovate.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:10 PM   #82
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

well if its so easy lets see what you have to offer. Dont complain unless you can do better.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:11 PM   #83
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Doesn't it also go back to 'buyer beware'?

If I'm willing to pay for a theme, it better meet my expectations of quality. If it doesn't, then I might ask or my money back (not sure if refunds are even available).

If it doesn't appear to meet my expectations, then I won't buy it. If the author is someone that is known, and there is something I notice that is wrong or I don't like, I may ask for a change. Can't hurt to ask right?

And if I think I can do a better job, then I guess I'll have to prove it to myself and make my own.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:17 PM   #84
Jwilliams1008
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
I dont see anyone complaining but you!
That's part of the problem. Or not I guess, if everyone likes getting the same rehashed themes over and over than I guess this thread was a moot point. Maybe if this was a dedicated BB theme forum it might be different. I come from a freeware and open source background where the community serves to make a better product. For example It surprises me that there isn't a freeware version of BBSmart. Even one thats stripped down. Maybe if there was it would drive the people to make BBSmart to improve their product even more (not saying its a bad one to start out with) knowing that people could just decide to grab a free version if there wasn't something significant to move them otherwise.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:20 PM   #85
Jwilliams1008
No longer Registered.

Quote:
well if its so easy lets see what you have to offer. Dont complain unless you can do better.
Come on now... as a free market you know thats not a valid point. I willing to bet you can't build a television but does that mean you shouldn't complain if whats sold is crap?
Old 01-31-2008, 07:27 PM   #86
Jwilliams1008
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
Doesn't it also go back to 'buyer beware'?

If I'm willing to pay for a theme, it better meet my expectations of quality. If it doesn't, then I might ask or my money back (not sure if refunds are even available).

If it doesn't appear to meet my expectations, then I won't buy it. If the author is someone that is known, and there is something I notice that is wrong or I don't like, I may ask for a change. Can't hurt to ask right?

And if I think I can do a better job, then I guess I'll have to prove it to myself and make my own.
Yep, thats great. If you see something you like, and its being offered for a price, I'm all for you making that purchase. No one is going to hold that against you. Just one question though... when was the last time you saw something truly different in a theme? Not different colors, wallpaper, or icons... I mean something totally different. You know it can be done, we've all seen unique themes once or twice. Something that average theme builders cant do. That is where the premium lies, and thats where you should hope it continues to grow.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:30 PM   #87
Perfect Storm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilliams1008 View Post
It goes hand in hand... If you aren't opposed to paying for a theme, you should at least want someone to try and take the next step and innovate.
Define what would constitute innovating.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:35 PM   #88
Shaun
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: at&t

JWilliams I get it. You are asking us all to look deeper into ourselves, and what makes us who we are. The Zen of Blackberry themes, and how our actions in regards to themes shapes the lives of everyone around us. This thread will be recalled for days and weeks to come as a point of reference to when the market of themes changed. A call to action that tears into the will of man.

I take a knee, and bow to you.

I hope I wasn't reading into this thread too much.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:36 PM   #89
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Come on now... as a free market you know thats not a valid point. I willing to bet you can't build a television but does that mean you shouldn't complain if whats sold is crap?
No I just dont buy it I dont complain about it. I buy what I like.

I think you are a guy who just likes to get stuff for free and dont like people making a profit. You sound like so many other people who have come in here fussing about the prices of software.

You started fussing about themes now you have moved on to bbsmart. So I again say if you are such an open source guy lets see you produce better. The files are there for you to see on the developer portion of RIMs site.

Dont knock things just becuase you disagree with the selling price.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:53 PM   #90
Redflea

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

How could you have known?! My father raises llamas...alpacas are even more impressive! This will be the first thing I've every won <sniff> that will gain his respect. I just can't speak...overwhelmed...you like me, you really, really like me!

;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
ok, redflea, then you win...

Here is your blue ribbon!

http://bellavitaranch.com/library/Sp...uturity2x3.JPG

Last edited by Redflea; 01-31-2008 at 08:05 PM..
Old 01-31-2008, 07:58 PM   #91
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redflea View Post
How could you have known?! My father raises llamas...this will be the first thing I've every won <sniff> that will gain his respect. I just can't speak...overwhelmed...you like me, you really, really like me!

;)
speech, speech, we want a speech!
Old 01-31-2008, 08:02 PM   #92
ubizmo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9780
PIN: ultimate
Carrier: T-mobile

"Why does the BB community enable the buying and selling of themes?"

To enable the selling of something is to be willing to buy it. To enable the buying of something is to offer it for sale. So the question is, "Why does the BB community buy and sell themes?"

The answer is obvious: A lot of people like to personalize their BBs, don't feel like doing the work themselves, and don't mind spending a few bucks for the work of someone who's good at it.

I'll hazard a guess that most BB users are not the sort who are constantly in search of new themes to switch to, so their payout for themes is infrequent and small. If I only smoked a cigar every month or so, I wouldn't care too much about the price, within reason. If I smoked 10 cigars a day, I'd take a keener interest in the price.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:03 PM   #93
Perfect Storm

Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubizmo View Post
If I smoked 10 cigars a day
You'd be Columbo!
Old 01-31-2008, 08:15 PM   #94
Jwilliams1008
No longer Registered.

Quote:
No I just dont buy it I dont complain about it. I buy what I like.

I think you are a guy who just likes to get stuff for free and dont like people making a profit. You sound like so many other people who have come in here fussing about the prices of software.

You started fussing about themes now you have moved on to bbsmart. So I again say if you are such an open source guy lets see you produce better. The files are there for you to see on the developer portion of RIMs site.

Dont knock things just becuase you disagree with the selling price.
Why must you take this personal? Sure I like to get stuff for free, doesn't everyone? You are lying if you say otherwise, but thats not the point. Either you think I just want free stuff or you think I'm knocking the product... which one is it? If you want to know what kind of guy I am... I am one who will pay for quality.

I wasn't fussing about bbsmart. I only said I was surprised no one made a freeware version.

Last edited by Jwilliams1008; 01-31-2008 at 08:16 PM..
Old 01-31-2008, 08:54 PM   #95
Dawg
No longer Registered.

I don't take it personal. I am just doing what you have done everyone in here answered your question yet you continued to ask the same question. I was just showing you how stupid it was.

yes, I do like free stuff but i also pay for what works or what I like. I would pay for empower if I didnt already own a copy of BBsmart plus I am loyal to the company that gave me the software for free after Beta testing it.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:24 AM   #96
andrews240
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

I think that I understand what you are asking. Why do BB users buy themes when some other platform users usually give them away for free. I also believe that your question has been answered many times in this thread but here's my .02 cents.

My .02 cent comes with a story. I think there are different people with different reasons for why they are willing to, or unwilling for that matter, to buy themes. I for one am able to duplicate most themes that I see with lots of time and patients(mad props to the theme makers) therefore I don't buy many but I usually load and try most free ones.

To my story. One day I saw this theme made by Perfect Storm(PROPS) and and it was AMAZING! I don't know if you had the privilege to see his creations before RIM made him take them down(they were that good) but I think that they were mind blowing. His themes were well worth the money and I only regret I didn't buy more of them before they were taken down. That's the kind of person that I am, an innovation whore.

Others buy themes for many reasons including; to support the BB community or they have expendable income so $5 buck doesn't mean much to them to get a theme that they like etc...One way or another they see value in the product.

Someone in this thread recommended that you should create a theme and I think that is a perfect idea. You will have a new respect for what they do especially if you attempt to duplicate any of Perfect Storms themes(did I say PROPS!). Anyway, that's my .02 cents
Old 02-01-2008, 12:25 AM   #97
tommyboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820

I know plenty of people who don't care to pay for themes not because they're cheap but because of issues like copyright infringement or what not. Basically what we've started to do now is pool money together and if someone wants to buy a theme or we see posts where someone is inquiring about a theme we tell them not to and we'll provide it to them for free. All they need to do is use the Javaloader and we'll provide them with the .cod file. It's very easy to extract a theme off of a BlackBerry using Javaloader. My friends and I have shared PLENTY of premium themes with our extended group of friends as well as members on different forums and we'll continue to do so!! As long as people are out there charging for themes with graphics, icons, etc... that they didn't clear with the proprietary owners of said media we'll be there to pool our money and them share them with anyone who wants them.

Last edited by tommyboy; 02-01-2008 at 12:31 AM..
Old 02-01-2008, 01:37 AM   #98
DallasFlier

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
I'll give you an example... I won't point out the poster because I won't make it personal, but this person recently shared a theme on the board and he is charging for it. Not much mind you but its not a donation its a charge. Now when I look at it, it simply is a wallpaper and a few new icons. I don't care how long it took him to do it, lack of efficiency is not an excuse. Now that person gets a few people buying it, he's not getting rich off of it and thats not the point... but it stifles creativity. When people see that you can charge and make a few bucks off of a very simple theme, why would anyone try anything harder. There are a few themers out there that do excellent work and try new things and I completely support what they do. I just wish people wouldn't allow "Billy Bob" to charge for a basic theme. But there's always going to be people that will pay for a simple theme because they don't know any better. People who just bought a BB and hit the first site they found, saw themes and said "I gotta have it". Something other than the standard AT&T theme is a big draw, especially when they don't know what else is out there. But hey, supply and demand right?
I'm sorry, but what an utterly stupid statement! Just HOW do you propose that "people not allow" someone to charge for a theme?!?!?! Do you want a law, think we should be writing our congresscritters complaining that "Billy Bob" is charging for a BlackBerry theme? Did you really THINK before you wrote that ridiculous statement???
Old 02-01-2008, 06:08 AM   #99
poolbizz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: q30
PIN: g
Carrier: metro pcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy View Post
I know plenty of people who don't care to pay for themes not because they're cheap but because of issues like copyright infringement or what not. Basically what we've started to do now is pool money together and if someone wants to buy a theme or we see posts where someone is inquiring about a theme we tell them not to and we'll provide it to them for free. All they need to do is use the Javaloader and we'll provide them with the .cod file. It's very easy to extract a theme off of a BlackBerry using Javaloader. My friends and I have shared PLENTY of premium themes with our extended group of friends as well as members on different forums and we'll continue to do so!! As long as people are out there charging for themes with graphics, icons, etc... that they didn't clear with the proprietary owners of said media we'll be there to pool our money and them share them with anyone who wants them.

Thats excellent, but do you also provide the alx file or code to create the alx for dm installs?...
what is your website? I would like to donate to your group some themes, from
an illegal site, selling themes ... bbextras...
Old 02-01-2008, 06:17 AM   #100
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolbizz View Post
Thats excellent, but do you also provide the alx file or code to create the alx for dm installs?...
what is your website? I would like to donate to your group some themes, from
an illegal site, selling themes ... bbextras...
how do you figure they are an illegal site?
Closed Thread