BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: Will you keep your current BB or go for the 8800 or iPhone when they come out?
Sticking with my current BlackBerry 72 18.65%
Waiting for 8800/8900 148 38.34%
Waiting for iPhone 90 23.32%
Waiting for both!!! 76 19.69%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 04:34 PM   #141
offroadkarter

Model: 7100T
Exclamation

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance
Whoopty-doo!! Apple can keep it!

You couldn't pay me enough money to get me to use an Apple computer (unless you're gonna offer me a job that pays very high 6 figures annually and requires an Apple machine to do), I don't use iTunes or an iPod, and as for the iPhone, why would I want one?

I already use the original and still the BEST, most reliable PDA phone on the planet:

CrackBerry: Because only the best is good enough!

P.S. To those that picked choice # 3, "waiting for the iPhone", I have just one thing to say to you:

TRAITORS! TURNCOATS!! YOU WANT TO LEAVE? FINE! BEGONE WITH YE! AND GOOD RIDDANCE!

'Nuff said.

I agree and disagree. First off, i don't see the big hype in the I phone. It will become another teen fashion phone like verizon's V casts and the sidekicks.
I like things that work great and wont crap out in a year's time. Personally, I am looking into blackberries from verizon (cant switch carriers) or the LG pocket pc (show and lots of go )

Now on the other hand, I do think its good that apple is coming out with this. First off, it raises the bar on the market. I'm sure RIM will come out with a new blackberry thats completely radical, but apple is trying something new, and i am happy about that. I'm a happy and proud owner of a 3rd gen Ipod and i wouldn't trade it even for a Zune! Ive never had a problem with my Ipod, but i know some zune users who have.

All in all, i think its personal preference. People who want to throw a shit fit about the new I phone, let them! People who are die hard RIM, good for you! I'm not trying to sound negative, but really, you know people are going to buy it. So who cares

http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...h_P6270001.jpg
Old 01-12-2007, 05:00 PM   #142
swizz152
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
In summary - if you're looking for a multimedia music/videos/photos/mobile web browser device - this is without a doubt THE absolute best one I've ever seen - great innovations, a real step forward from anything out there. If I have a single converged smartphone that can do that stuff that well, then for the 10-20% of the time I'd spend doing that stuff on my PHONE, this thing would ROCK! But for the 80%+ that I spend doing phone calls, email and text messaging, it honestly appears to be LESS than the capability I have today on my 8700c. And I'd never give up the capability I have for 80% of my usage, to get a stunning, revolutionary device to use for the other 20%.

Well said.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:22 PM   #143
redsoxnation
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
Carrier: SPRINT

I definitly agree with above. The iphone is going to be a really cool phone for kids. Nothing wrong with that. If you want a Mp3, touch screen toy that you have to charge twice a day it's cool. Personaly I need phone/email/browser but the most important reliability of a OS that is proven for years. Also just watched stock news and Cingular which becomes at&t again in a month has exclusive rights to the iphone.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:29 PM   #144
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700G

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxnation
I definitly agree with above. The iphone is going to be a really cool phone for kids. Nothing wrong with that. If you want a Mp3, touch screen toy that you have to charge twice a day it's cool. Personaly I need phone/email/browser but the most important reliability of a OS that is proven for years. Also just watched stock news and Cingular which becomes at&t again in a month has exclusive rights to the iphone.
Geeee, I wonder if any devices have ever included more advanced utility when released than when initially introduced in early preproduction stages at a trade show. Naahhh ... That's just too scary a proposition to face!
Old 01-12-2007, 05:29 PM   #145
bsic
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c

Quote:
To make 6.5 billion, they'd have to sell 1.5 million units at $4,333.34 each, still in the stratospheric price range of phones made by Vertu!
Well, sorry, just quoting from the financial websites and keynote, link was included in my post.

I think they got the 6.5 billion from:

10Million units * 600 = 6B. But, i didnt come up with these, check the market projections on the link i posted, or search yourself.

Jeez guys, someone said they didnt think the iPhone wouldnt make a killing in the market, i quote a website (which many other sites concur with), and people act as if i wrote it.

Quote:
Since basic math fails you, let me try this:
$600 x $1,500,000 = $900,000,000. $900 Million. Not shabby, but still not even a full billion. And that's just the total money taken in at a retail cost of $600. The actual PROFIT would be much less than $900 million once the manufacturing, marketing, packaging, and distribution costs were subtracted out. Guess you've never worked in retail.
Nope, never did work in retail, just designing ARM cores and microprocessor circuits. You got me.

Since basic *reading* fails you, let me reiterate i said 10million, not 1.5 million... And so did the links. The estimate is 10M units worldwide, and not just in the USA. (again, not my numbers but ones from industry pundits).

One more source with the same figures, in case you cant figure out the 1% = 10M:
http://tech.msn.com/guides/ces/artic...mentid=2308162

With companies expected to sell more than 1 billion cell phones and more than 200 million portable media players this year, Apple was wise to enter the market, according to Crotty.

10M units * $600 =.... ill let you push the calculator button.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:10 AM   #146
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsic
But it turns out it people that hate the product just because they have a grudge against a company that is trying to innovate and change things.
Actually you have no personal experience with Apple Employees or you would not have misread the post. In addition you have failed to read my earlier posts which clearly state that I am an Long Time Apple Supporter that uses their laptops, desktops, iPods and have been doing so for years.

However I am not part of those who choose to surrender to the hype as presented by the Ringmaster. Who I will recognize as one of the top salespeople in the US.

In addition I'm also a big supporter of THE TRUTH.

All one needs to do is venture out into the real world, to see that the day after the "show" a huge percentage of people like tech experts, financial & engineering professionals also see what's real vs. questionable. The same insight as many of our fellow members of this forum.

So you twist the direction of the post arbitrarily to fit your agenda to include strong words that you use like:_hate_grudge_

These are the tactics of the blind followers, well known as the Cult of the Mac, the Mac Faithful, etc.

People that find difficulty participating in an open discussion where intelligent individuals express differing views without emotional attachment or hurt feelings because not everyone agrees with them.

If you have that much invested in the Apple company line that's your choice which I respect.

After all it's just a phone!
Old 01-13-2007, 01:07 AM   #147
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer6
Actually you have no personal experience with Apple Employees or you would not have misread the post. In addition you have failed to read my earlier posts which clearly state that I am an Long Time Apple Supporter that uses their laptops, desktops, iPods and have been doing so for years.

However I am not part of those who choose to surrender to the hype as presented by the Ringmaster. Who I will recognize as one of the top salespeople in the US.

In addition I'm also a big supporter of THE TRUTH.

All one needs to do is venture out into the real world, to see that the day after the "show" a huge percentage of people like tech experts, financial & engineering professionals also see what's real vs. questionable. The same insight as many of our fellow members of this forum.

So you twist the direction of the post arbitrarily to fit your agenda to include strong words that you use like:_hate_grudge_

These are the tactics of the blind followers, well known as the Cult of the Mac, the Mac Faithful, etc.

People that find difficulty participating in an open discussion where intelligent individuals express differing views without emotional attachment or hurt feelings because not everyone agrees with them.

If you have that much invested in the Apple company line that's your choice which I respect.

Archer6, your anti-iPhone propaganda is flourishing throughout the web for any who have dead time enough to discover.

I'm not married to any carrier or system. I love my Blackberry 8700G, just as I loved the 7290 I had prior, and the functions it performs very well. Each system has strengths and weaknesses. The iPhone isn't even in production, making it an infant device, yet you want to abort it arbitrarily because it has the audacity to simply exist. When the time comes, it will speak for itself, warts and all, just as every Blackberry has, just as every MSMobile phone has, just as every Symbian has. No single model device is perfect, even for any given user, nor is any particular OS that supports it. No one is claiming that the iPhone is virtual Nirvana, nor anything remotely close. Many are simply looking forward to seeing some new creativity present itself on a mobile platform and interested and encouraged enough to see how it may develop toward more business-friendly practice. IMO, this level of creativity is long past due and will help spur competitors to reach higher standards of performance. It's good for the market and good for the consumer. Who cares if it's Apple or not?

Just let it be already.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:19 AM   #148
K-Mack
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Cingular

Well said
Old 01-13-2007, 07:15 AM   #149
bsic
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:

Agreed!
Old 01-13-2007, 09:14 AM   #150
archer6

Quote:
Exactly! I just did the math...
In the USA, at last count, there were roughly 150 million cell phone subscribers. 1% of that market would be 1,500,000 people. Personally, I don't think Apple will succeed in selling a $600 phone to that many people. But if they DID, in order to take in $10 billion from 1.5 million suckers... er, I mean subscribers... ... Apple would have to sell each and every iPhone™ for the kingly sum of... are you sitting down?... $6,666.67!!!

And you thought only Vertu made phones that expensive! LOL!!!!

At any rate, I'm guessing bsic didn't do very well in math class!

And all those sixes prove just one thing: Steve Jobs is The Devil! LOL!!!

Or maybe bsic is!
Well said!

So accurate & worth a million laughs!

Thanks !
Old 01-13-2007, 08:04 PM   #151
Spectre.hsm

Model: Curve
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

Ok. So here are my thoughts on the subject.

I have the 8700c right now and the 8800 is everything I wanted the 8700 to be when I got it. I like that it now has a camera and miniSD slot.

That being said, I don't like the TrackWheel being gone. I love the wheel and it makes one handed use so easy. Why they took it aways I do not know.

We all know that Blackberry Service is the best when it comes to email hands down. The Iphone can't beat that. That being said, the Iphone sure is sexy. It's sleek and looks really cool.

If I could put a version of Itunes on my BB to play all the songs I bought from Itunes, I would be perfectly happy with the 8800. Maybe Rim will make that an option, but I doubt it. If I does, I'd buy a 2gig simm card and be golden.

All of that being said, I never buy Gen1 of a product. The 8800 is a BB and is proven. The Iphone will have some glitches when it first hits the market, and i'd rather wait 6 months to a year to get the Gen2 Iphone than the one that hits the streets in a couple months.

If you use these devices for work, I can't imagine leaving the BB. If you are a young prof and want something cool, maybe the Iphone is for you, but it all comes down to what your office/industry uses.

I use Windows, Outlook, Word, Excel, and so on. I doubt the Iphone will work as solid with those as the BB.

Best,
Spec
Old 01-14-2007, 02:32 AM   #152
archer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbeat
Archer6, your anti-iPhone propaganda
There is nothing anti- iPhone contained in my post.

Quote:
The iPhone isn't even in production, making it an infant device, yet you want to abort it it.
Again no where in my post says it should be aborted.

However I must admit I find your determination to twist things around quite amusing.

Quote:
No one is claiming that the iPhone is virtual Nirvana, nor anything remotely close.
Steve portrayed it as such.

Quote:
Who cares if it's Apple or not?
You must or why else would you find this dialog so disturbing that you are working so hard to personalize it and make unfounded accusations?

And just why are so many others posting here & not using your attack strategy?

I know it's hard for you to grasp, but many of us enjoy sharing opinions & observations, which in most cases is the purpose of a forum like this.

As a result we enjoy & benefit from the intelligent lively discussions. We enjoy demonstrating mutual respect & do not accuse or attack others simply because we may not agree.

I do wish you well.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:04 AM   #153
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Yesterday's smelly bait
Thanks, but no thanks. I'm cutting down on fish.

Quote:
I do wish you well.
Your sanctimony is duly noted.

Move on.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:51 AM   #154
Galvatron
No longer Registered.

Model: 8800
PIN: 240582A8
Carrier: tmobile

The cuel irony ahad is that even thogh apple made the device for a GSM carrir it's just cingular. And no other GSM carrier in order to for apple to met it's goal it would half to seel in ourope an asia as well outside the US. Now if ther just expecting to just tap 1% of the US market. Then they should have gone CDMA

As you said the battery is embedded in the device. If you want to sell somthing that over $500 you better have somting like replacement batteries ALL mobils and smart phons have preplacments not so with the I phone you have to send it back to the factory or (gasp) spen $600) on another replacement. Screw that no consumer will do that.

Seve jobs needs to lay off the cocaine and opium.

This 90% propitary crap woked in the comp market in 80's but that ship has sailed. Now if you wrote the os aor let othe GSM cariers join in on the fun you might have somthing. But your high on somthing if people are going to let you gouge then for $500-600. Than pay high recouring rates throug cingular.. Even if they plan to target the new teen fad what kind of teen has $600 let alon2 $500 heck if they don't how are they ( the teenagers) going to convince ther parents to by it for them?

Heavan forbid Apple tries to put a nichi in the automotive industry
Old 01-14-2007, 12:15 PM   #155
plakius
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadkarter
I agree and disagree. First off, i don't see the big hype in the I phone. It will become another teen fashion phone like verizon's V casts and the sidekicks.
Um ... I agree it probably will become a teen fashion phone ... i must say though most of my little girlfriends trading in their sidekicks for "Miss Teen" USA's version of BlackBerry ... AKA the "Pearl" ... even the name is geared towards a younger generation .... what i am getting from this thread is how many BlackBerry "right wingers" we have ... there is supply and demand and marketing .... i have been on apple and BlackBerry for years .... all the integration flaws and what nots .... apple is and has been COMPLETELY ahead in this game ... when they launch a product it works flawlessly from syncing to the battery and device dying exactly after the warranty has expired ... by that time they have launched a new product in a better package ! .... i was very anti iPhone .... iHate touch screens ..... iHate cigular .... but also iHate how Blackberry introduces new technology with 2 letters to a key .... basically what they are saying to their loyal customers is F*&^& you, we already have your business we want to entice others, you'll have to wait 6 months or so and switch service providers to get a full keyboard .... do you remember 7100(tmo) 8700 (cing) .... so what it seems to me either way if you want a new device you'll have to switch to cingular
Old 01-14-2007, 01:00 PM   #156
Galvatron
No longer Registered.

Well yaeh I took marketing in high scool but befor they teach you how to sell stuff and ect. They teach you about the basic ecinomics. Including supluy and emand
An price

Low suply an high demand = high price
Low deman an dhigh suply = low price.

You also have to do consu$ere reserch t determine the median price of the prduct you are trying to sell.

I don't think apple hase don that AT ALL!

You also have to considerr what th average consumer can afford. Again somthing they have not done

EG let's say I work as a carry ouit just starting even with 40 hour solid I would be liucky to make 250 300 a week. So if you do tha e math without local variables -t will take a month alt least to bae able to buy this. That's assuming you cut all the nessicary expensed food carpayments insurrance ec. So in reality it would take over 2 months for ther target audience to purtchase this also cingular give you NO discaou wether or not you have a 2 year agreement with them. And you not only considder the price e an the recourring paymaent with cingular but also the HUgd deposit you have to lay down whaen your a new customer so it's a lot mor than $600

It's cost prohibitive not cost effective. Which is why
Despite the agressive marketing it will be dificult to sell to there targeti audience your pricing your product/service out of market median range the usully means NO Sale.

Now if I'm some rich kid from scotstale or fountain hills AZ or form malabu CA I might consider buying it but even then the parents will say pas.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:22 PM   #157
BMWLotAttendant
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: none
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron
Well yaeh I took marketing in high scool but befor they teach you how to sell stuff and ect. They teach you about the basic ecinomics. Including supluy and emand
An price

Low suply an high demand = high price
Low deman an dhigh suply = low price.

You also have to do consu$ere reserch t determine the median price of the prduct you are trying to sell.

I don't think apple hase don that AT ALL!

You also have to considerr what th average consumer can afford. Again somthing they have not done

EG let's say I work as a carry ouit just starting even with 40 hour solid I would be liucky to make 250 300 a week. So if you do tha e math without local variables -t will take a month alt least to bae able to buy this. That's assuming you cut all the nessicary expensed food carpayments insurrance ec. So in reality it would take over 2 months for ther target audience to purtchase this also cingular give you NO discaou wether or not you have a 2 year agreement with them. And you not only considder the price e an the recourring paymaent with cingular but also the HUgd deposit you have to lay down whaen your a new customer so it's a lot mor than $600

It's cost prohibitive not cost effective. Which is why
Despite the agressive marketing it will be dificult to sell to there targeti audience your pricing your product/service out of market median range the usully means NO Sale.

Now if I'm some rich kid from scotstale or fountain hills AZ or form malabu CA I might consider buying it but even then the parents will say pas.
I just finished taking a Marketing 300 class. Economics is integrated into the curriculum.

What you are talking about is called the "Price elasticity of demand" which measures the sensitivity of customers change in price. Some customers are very sensitive to changes in price, and a change in price resulsts in a substantial change in the quantity demanded (elastic demand). In other situations, we describe a change in price that has little or no effect on the quantity that consumers are willing to buy as inelastic demand. (From my Marketing book)

That applies to the 8800 as well as the iPhone, so everybody has to worry about pricing with regards to supply and demand of the product.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:45 PM   #158
Galvatron
No longer Registered.

Your right I just for got the name of the term and yes your coreect on both side As consumers also want to stretch the $$ too wich plays a rol in pric elasticity the is also pric erosion too

Also note that appl has no 3rd party suport or apps RIm an palm devices have that. Apple dosn't

@most they have Itunes and quick time. They ar repaeting the same mistak they mad with the lisa an the early mac in the 80's sell a product but offert no variety or 3rd party suport. That's why Pc's sold mor than macs the only time yousee macs anymore is in the educational sector or sombody whao is fed up with unstable PC's and ghrtaphoid design. Be caus you have higher screen res.

They have not learn ed from ther mistake yet. An they are repating history becaused they failed to learn form it. That an the enfringment of copyrights will get you in leagal hot water.
I' will bet that microsoft. Will try to make there own mobile handset like this just tb it in apples face they did that with the zune it had most of the basic funtions of the basic ipod and has an FM tuner

The Xphone lol

But microsoft unlike apple knows 3rd party suport. Is key because the more mainstrena 3rd party suport the is the nore peopl will want to bouy youir product because they can strech more dollers into the 3rd prty and heep the demand for the device high. Apples not doing tha did not do it in. The past either.

Let's say M$ did get into the game they would have Nvidia GPUs on ther too lol along with Halo bolbile lol
Old 01-14-2007, 04:25 PM   #159
Spectre.hsm

Model: Curve
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron
Your right I just for got the name of the term and yes your coreect on both side As consumers also want to stretch the $$ too wich plays a rol in pric elasticity the is also pric erosion too

Also note that appl has no 3rd party suport or apps RIm an palm devices have that. Apple dosn't

@most they have Itunes and quick time. They ar repaeting the same mistak they mad with the lisa an the early mac in the 80's sell a product but offert no variety or 3rd party suport. That's why Pc's sold mor than macs the only time yousee macs anymore is in the educational sector or sombody whao is fed up with unstable PC's and ghrtaphoid design. Be caus you have higher screen res.

They have not learn ed from ther mistake yet. An they are repating history becaused they failed to learn form it. That an the enfringment of copyrights will get you in leagal hot water.
I' will bet that microsoft. Will try to make there own mobile handset like this just tb it in apples face they did that with the zune it had most of the basic funtions of the basic ipod and has an FM tuner

The Xphone lol

But microsoft unlike apple knows 3rd party suport. Is key because the more mainstrena 3rd party suport the is the nore peopl will want to bouy youir product because they can strech more dollers into the 3rd prty and heep the demand for the device high. Apples not doing tha did not do it in. The past either.

Let's say M$ did get into the game they would have Nvidia GPUs on ther too lol along with Halo bolbile lol

Microsoft may or may not make thier own phone. They already make a killing on Window's Mobile. Like I said, the Iphone is neat, but they have to do a whole lot more to break into the Smartphone market.

That, and $600 is a whole lot of money. I have an 8700c. I have a Nano. Why would I need an Iphone. Sure, I'm going to get the 8800. But that will be about $299 with a new contract, maybe $350.

Last edited by Spectre.hsm; 01-14-2007 at 04:30 PM..
Old 01-14-2007, 04:43 PM   #160
Galvatron
No longer Registered.

Actully I just read an articl that microsoft is getting into the mobile game market move ove magmic an hadego.

I definalty agree apple needs to get a clue an change there game plan 600 is ludicrous I've ilustrated tat point sevral times over

I bought my 8700 at invoice for 487(after tax)

Once again ptice is too highb you already hav hand sets that sel for $300 invoice that double as a phone and a media player.

They will get a reality check soon enough. (We can hope)
Closed Thread