numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20FA40E8
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbswany View Post
Um.. Wrong again buddy. T-Mobile U.S. will be using 1700/2100 MHz which currently isn't being used by any other carrier. Most 3G bands are 1900/2100 MHz or just a 2100MHz band which is exactly the reason why the current iteration of the Bold will NOT work on T-Mobile U.S.

And 3G is not 3G. There's HSDPA, HSUPA, EV-DO, & UMTS to name a few. All have different data speeds and network capabilities.
Actually ... HSDPA and HSUPA are all part of the same family of protocols, HSPA. HSDPA (High Speed Downlink Packet Access) and USUPA (High Speed Uplink Packet Access) are both used on HSPA network, so there is not HSDPA AND HSUPA. AND .... those two protocols exists to improve performance on existing UMTS networks.

Its between EV-DO and UMTS as the main protocols for 3G. HSPA (and all protocols in its family) are there simply to boost the performance of UMTS. Verizon and Sprints EV-DO are comparable in performance to Tmobile with straight UMTS, but neither can match the speed of AT&T using HSPA .. which is sometimes considered 3.5G. I heard rumors that AT&T will upgrade to HSPA+, which has peak data rates of 42 Mbit/sec.

http://www.facebook.com/numetheus
Old 07-11-2008, 01:20 PM   #202
clev

Model: 8820
Carrier: MobileOne (M1)
Lightbulb Singapore Users Only

Just called MobileOne, and guess wat? They are expecting to launch the phone in August 2008! ^^,
Old 07-11-2008, 04:08 PM   #203
BBSwany
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Straight Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by numetheus View Post
Actually ... HSDPA and HSUPA are all part of the same family of protocols, HSPA. HSDPA (High Speed Downlink Packet Access) and USUPA (High Speed Uplink Packet Access) are both used on HSPA network, so there is not HSDPA AND HSUPA. AND .... those two protocols exists to improve performance on existing UMTS networks.

Its between EV-DO and UMTS as the main protocols for 3G. HSPA (and all protocols in its family) are there simply to boost the performance of UMTS. Verizon and Sprints EV-DO are comparable in performance to Tmobile with straight UMTS, but neither can match the speed of AT&T using HSPA .. which is sometimes considered 3.5G. I heard rumors that AT&T will upgrade to HSPA+, which has peak data rates of 42 Mbit/sec.
Sorry. I should have been a little more specific in my explanation. They are part of the same family (GSM & CDMA) but saying "3G is 3G" isn't a correct statement. There is a little more to it than that. Thanks for the info though. It's nice to have good contributions like this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-11-2008, 05:30 PM   #204
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbswany View Post
Sorry. I should have been a little more specific in my explanation. They are part of the same family (GSM & CDMA) but saying "3G is 3G" isn't a correct statement. There is a little more to it than that. Thanks for the info though. It's nice to have good contributions like this.
Well ... to get more technical. 3G is 3G. 3G is just the third generation of mobile telecommunications standards and is based on ITU standards under IMT-2000 (International Mobile Telecommunications-2000. The 3rd Generation, or 3G specifications include protocols for both CDMA and GSM networks. CDMA2000 EV-DO and UMTS (which later includes HSPA family in updated networks).

Soooooo .... TECHNICALLY 3G is 3G because all of those protocols fall under the same technology specification. BUT the specific 3G protocols (EV-DO vs UMTS/HSPA) are very different from one another ... yes. So you are both right.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:47 AM   #205
R-Rizzo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: --
Carrier: T-Mo US

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanHarig View Post
If past experience is any guide, within a day or two there will be ebay sellers offering the .eu Bold unlocked at an exhorbenent price that will slowly go down as it becomes more available.

As you said, there are a number of different 3g standards.
850/1900 - at&t
1700/2100 - T-Mo USA
2100 - .eu and Asia
850/2100 - Australia
crazyness - Japan and Korea
etc...

LOL @ Crazyness, Yeah but what I wouldn't give for a little bit of Japan/Korea Crazyness here in the states.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:20 PM   #206
Black Bart
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: tmobile
Cool 3g is 3g

Quote:
Originally Posted by numetheus View Post
Well ... to get more technical. 3G is 3G. 3G is just the third generation of mobile telecommunications standards and is based on ITU standards under IMT-2000 (International Mobile Telecommunications-2000. The 3rd Generation, or 3G specifications include protocols for both CDMA and GSM networks. CDMA2000 EV-DO and UMTS (which later includes HSPA family in updated networks).

Soooooo .... TECHNICALLY 3G is 3G because all of those protocols fall under the same technology specification. BUT the specific 3G protocols (EV-DO vs UMTS/HSPA) are very different from one another ... yes. So you are both right.

Of course I was right. I knew I was right.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:14 AM   #207
MrPandaInc
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Its kind of funny to read the first post hearing somebody said that T-mobile would be the first to get the 9000 and watch the thread grow into now saying T-mo is like close to last to getting the bold, Im kind of upset hearing this information for a while now.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:17 PM   #208
BBSwany
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPandaInc View Post
Its kind of funny to read the first post hearing somebody said that T-mobile would be the first to get the 9000 and watch the thread grow into now saying T-mo is like close to last to getting the bold, Im kind of upset hearing this information for a while now.
Well, only a couple people were attesting to the Bold getting released first. Most of our senior members, like Jibi and Sith set us straight. I had absolutely no faith in the Bold getting released from T-Mobile first. And with all the Javelin news. I don't have much faith for the Bold on T-Mo anytime this year.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-14-2008, 07:08 PM   #209
DuckWingDuck
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700g
Carrier: TMO

I think as have been mentioned X times, RIM's strategy in the US seems to be Cingular - Corporate devices; TMO - Consumer devices.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:48 AM   #210
Black Bart
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default BB for business?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckWingDuck View Post
I think as have been mentioned X times, RIM's strategy in the US seems to be Cingular - Corporate devices; TMO - Consumer devices.
I hope thats not true.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:29 AM   #211
g_patrick15
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 2435646F

I don't think that's true, seeing as they've both always had the same blackberrys as of recently and as far back as I can tell. Otherwise tmobile wouldn't have had the 8800 or 8820, or 8700
Old 07-17-2008, 11:13 AM   #212
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bart
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckWingDuck View Post
I hope thats not true.
Didn't they get most of the consumer devices first? 7100, Pearl, and now Kickstart? Tmobile is not getting Bold first, but rather Javelin.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:17 AM   #213
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_patrick15
I don't think that's true, seeing as they've both always had the same blackberrys as of recently and as far back as I can tell. Otherwise tmobile wouldn't have had the 8800 or 8820, or 8700
He never said Tmobile never released corporate devices on Tmo. Tmo got 8800 series, but after Cingular. Tmo has always had consumer models first. 7100, Pearl, Kickstart. Tmo isn't even getting the Bold first, they are getting Javelin instead. The business-centered models have always been Cingular first and Tmo last.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:35 AM   #214
ocard.bb

Model: 8300
Carrier: t-mobile

I love T-Mo but they need to start to carry cooler phones. AKA the BOLD!!!!!
Old 07-18-2008, 08:44 AM   #215
g_patrick15
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 2435646F

O ok I misread what he meant. I get what your saying now
Old 07-18-2008, 08:58 AM   #216
The BlackBerry Kid
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: it is under my battery, and status page

Yeah. Tmobile needs some better phones. I can't wait to see them carry the bold. I want one a lot. And the KickStart looks pretty cool too.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:22 AM   #217
teg94
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Yeah, I agree... T-mo needs to start getting these phones sooner. Hopefully they'll keep it a reasonable color as well. I got my 8820 from them and had to go spend another $50 to get rid of the "blue" case. I guess I'm just too picky?

Oh and anyone heard any status on T-mo's 3g network? Rumors about when it may be going live in the DC area? (not that it matters since I've still got my 8820)

Last edited by teg94; 07-18-2008 at 11:23 AM..
Old 07-19-2008, 10:41 PM   #218
BBSwany
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg94 View Post
Yeah, I agree... T-mo needs to start getting these phones sooner. Hopefully they'll keep it a reasonable color as well. I got my 8820 from them and had to go spend another $50 to get rid of the "blue" case. I guess I'm just too picky?

Oh and anyone heard any status on T-mo's 3g network? Rumors about when it may be going live in the DC area? (not that it matters since I've still got my 8820)
It's all about the $$$ when it comes to which carrier gets the device first. AT&T has a better corporate customer base, better network coverage, more customers, and more $$$$. It has always been a business decision to launch on AT&T first simply because RIM wants the best opportunity to sell devices. I have been with T-Mobile since as far as I can remember, and they have always been behind the pack. But they have the best CS and Pricing out there. You win some, you lose some.

And T-Mo's 3G rollout is moving along. BG posted a rumor that 3G was going live in large markets on October 1st.

T-Mobile taking 3G nationwide on October 1st? : Boy Genius Report

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by BBSwany; 07-19-2008 at 10:43 PM.. Reason: Inserted a link
Old 07-21-2008, 02:29 AM   #219
tazeat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900

Well I have always owned ATT phones... Well except for one shortlived Pearl a couple years ago.

Been on T-Mo as a service provider forever though , shame the phones don't come unlocked!
Old 07-21-2008, 05:34 PM   #220
Black Bart
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Oct 1

I just got a new date for the bb9000 by tmobile. its going to be Oct 1. The 3G systems will also be up and running that day. I got all of this info from my girlfriend, who would never lie.