CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: FFFFFFF
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joginder
Can someone confirm this for me?
Does 8700 has the same kind of screen like 7100 series where the screen goes black after 45-50 seconds and you will not see anything unless you hit any key.. that is kind of anoying because I can have my BB on cradle at work and see if there are new messages or not.. I know I could see the blinking red light but i would rather see the screen all times.
Yes it has this feature, longest period to have the screen on is 2 Min.

The Boy Genius Report
Old 11-21-2005, 08:57 AM   #82
joginder
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Passp
Carrier: ATT

I guess, I will stay with 7290 until I am forced to move to 8700. or may be my soul is taken over by marketing devils.
I like my 7290 wih BT and it has been doing really good on the battery as well and I am heavy user on the voice and net plans.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:05 AM   #83
krad
No longer Registered.

Model: 0000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal311
I have a Nokia 6682 that has a pretty good auto dimmer so it's somewhat disappointing to hear that the 8700 isn't so great at this, but not the end of the world. Krad, have you had any issues dropping calls? There's another post in another thread here complaining about lots of dropped calls with the 8700.
not one dropped call. for my review i went to a few places.

underground garage
mall
city streets

not one dropped call and pretty much had a few signal since i got the device. i can't say that for tmobile.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:12 AM   #84
krad
No longer Registered.

If anyone has questions... i am willling to answer.

I have finished my review of the device. I still have it and use it.

My final thoughts on the 8700c.

The 8700c does not live up to the hype surrounding it. The only benefits this device has is a better screen, faster processor and a better network(not even a feature of the 8700). There is nothing innovative about this device and without those benefits listed it would be exactly like every other blackberry. There is no real innovation in this device. This will not be RIM's "Treo 6xx".

Reasons why this is not innovative-
1. no memory card slot.
2. no media player
3. horrible browser
4. camera
5. built in wifi and or gps

Most other devices on the market have some or all of these features.

I know what your thinking, that will all kill the battery... I am willing to sacrifice another 10 ounces strapped to the back of the blackberry in order to get some new innovative features.

IMHO if your hyped about this device, bring yourself down alittle bit. Sure when you first get it, it is better then sliced bread. But after a few days, you realize it is still the same blackberry.

Sorry if you don't like this post, but it is true.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:17 AM   #85
dtmfjunkie
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: BOLD
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by krad
If anyone has questions... i am willling to answer.

I have finished my review of the device. I still have it and use it.

My final thoughts on the 8700c.

The 8700c does not live up to the hype surrounding it. The only benefits this device has is a better screen, faster processor and a better network(not even a feature of the 8700). There is nothing innovative about this device and without those benefits listed it would be exactly like every other blackberry. There is no real innovation in this device. This will not be RIM's "Treo 6xx".

1. no memory card slot.
2. no media player
3. horrible browser
4. camera

Most other devices on the market have some or all of these features.

I know what your thinking, that will all kill the battery... I am willing to sacrifice another 10 ounces strapped to the back of the blackberry in order to get some new innovative features.

IMHO if your hyped about this device, bring yourself down alittle bit. Sure when you first get it, it is better then sliced bread. But after a few days, you realize it is still the same blackberry.

Different strokes for different folks...

If you're looking for Treo features, then buy a Treo. It has everything you've asked for + more.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:34 AM   #86
AlbertoM

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

[QUOTE=krad]
Quote:
1. no memory card slot.
2. no media player
3. horrible browser
4. camera
The BlackBerry is and continues to be designed as a business machine. As such, there is no need for any of the above with the exception of a better browser, and some could argue GPS. Some of the places I go, for example, I would not be allowed to take in a camera phone or BB. The memory card would be mostly unecessary if I am not saving music, and if I am working I don't need the music or the media player (and my iRiver is so much better).

Quote:
Yes and no, power use can be optional as to what is enabled when. Most of those features also deal with security.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with the post, I like it and find your opinions useful! And thank you.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:49 AM   #87
Inphektion
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: (¯`·.¸at&t¸.·´¯)

Quote:
The 8700c does not live up to the hype surrounding it. The only benefits this device has is a better screen, faster processor and a better network(not even a feature of the 8700).
Funny, those benefits are exactly why I am hyped about it.
The other features you listed I could care less about. You also didn't mention that its smaller and lighter than the 7290 that I currently use and that's another thing I'm hyped about.

The features you mentioned that it doesn't have wouldn't be innovative anyway as there are already products that have them. You aren't an innovator if you are doing something others have already done. Like I said in another thread, Rim will have to make another product line with a blackberry with those features because there are business people who clearly don't want them while there are prosumers that clearly do.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:09 PM   #88
krad
No longer Registered.

Don't get me wrong, i love my blackberry. However there are no new features to this device.

When i said innovative in my last post, i meant innovative to the blackberry line. Not innovative to the whole market.

I have used many treo's in my day and you have the option of getting a treo with or without a camera for security purposes.

I agree that RIM should come out with a few product lines.

I believe that RIM and blackberries as a tool are great. But there hardware is lame. When i pick up a 7290 or older device, i am holding a device that should have been decommissioned in 1992.

It is all up to personal preference.

Blackberry- Tape Walkman
Windows Mobile/Palm- CD-Player

Companies are noticing the difference, they are taking Good Technologies 30 day trials and are keeping their treo's. I know i deployed over 50 of their servers. I mostly deployed for accounting firms, doctors offices, law firms. etc. etc. Those people do not care about the backend. They care about what is in their hands. Showing there co-worker at 10 second video of there newborn kid. etc. etc.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:15 PM   #89
mmcpher
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
PIN: 22CD4D6E
Carrier: ATT/Verizon

When I finished reading Krad's bummer of a review, I found myself wondering of the 8700c "But can it core a apple?"
Old 11-21-2005, 12:40 PM   #90
MegaBit

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Krad-- when you say "horrible browser", does that mean it has problems with most web sites or is navigation difficult (picking links on pages)?

I was hoping for a pretty decent HTML browser on this thing and with java script support.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:16 PM   #91
krad
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBit
Krad-- when you say "horrible browser", does that mean it has problems with most web sites or is navigation difficult (picking links on pages)?

I was hoping for a pretty decent HTML browser on this thing and with java script support.
The browser imho is exactly the same as the 7100 series. There is no difference. I find it hard to use the browser seriously. I mostly rely on rss newsreaders on my blackberries.

And on another note....

In regards to innovation, It would have been nice to have 1 new added feature.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:17 PM   #92
krad
No longer Registered.

i am still lmao about cingular going back to At&t.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:40 PM   #93
rcbjr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7290/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Krad
Have you seen an official announcement about "Cingular" being renamed AT&T? The only announcement I have seen is about the closing of the SBC (one of two companies that own Cingular) buy-out/merger of the remains of AT&T and taking the latter name officially. This is not the same.

Rcbjr
Old 11-22-2005, 12:47 AM   #94
besadmin23

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T
Default desktops of the 8700

Hey Krad, here are those desktop shots that you wanted. At least I think it was you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	default (Custom).jpg
Views:	27
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	652   Click image for larger version

Name:	FallColour (Custom).jpg
Views:	13
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	653   Click image for larger version

Name:	MykonosSunset (Custom).jpg
Views:	12
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	654   Click image for larger version

Name:	RedRock (Custom).jpg
Views:	17
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	655   Click image for larger version

Name:	Santorini (Custom).jpg
Views:	17
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	656  

Old 11-22-2005, 08:54 AM   #95
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
1. no memory card slot.
2. no media player
3. horrible browser
4. camera
1 would be nice but it's not a deal breaker for me.

Again, 2 would be nice but it's not a deal breaker. I'd rather use a best of breed media player than some media player feature on a device like this.

3 is disappointing but I use the browser on my current Blackberry extensively and EDGE will be a plus.

4 doesn't matter to me, as again, I'd rather use a real digital camera than have some lame digital camera slapped on a Blackberry for the sake of having one and being "innovative"/

As for 5, GPS would be a big plus. WiFi would be a minor plus.

As stated before, those looking for Treos should get Treos. We've tried them out and they're simply not stable or sturdy enough for deployment in our enterprise. As it is, we have enough people breaking their Blackberries. I shudder to think what they'd be capable of with the more delicate Treos in their hands...
Old 11-28-2005, 04:39 PM   #96
krad
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by besadmin23
Hey Krad, here are those desktop shots that you wanted. At least I think it was you.
sweet!!!!

thanks alot!
Old 11-28-2005, 04:40 PM   #97
krad
No longer Registered.

i mailed the 8700c back to the magazine today... I am now back to my 7100t. I still enjoy and like my 7100t better, just wish it was a little faster. Can't wait for os 4.1!!!!
Closed Thread