BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 09:16 PM   #41
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Please Login to Remove!

Well, after reading all these success stories, I went out to my nearest Cingular store, bought an 8700, walked over to the internet kiosk in the mall, paid Adam and sent him my IMEI, received the e-mail with my unlock code 30 minutes later on my 7105t while I was at dinner, borrowed a friend's Cingular SIM, unlocked my 8700, popped in my SIM, powered up, service books came in, and I was on my way.

EDGE is noticeably faster than the GPRS in my 7105.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:57 AM   #42
dpacrystal

Model: 7100T
Talking Easier solution available

As an option you might decide to follow my route. I bought an 8700 off of E-Bay for $375 (brand new). I called Cingular and explained that I bought the device from a third party, my company uses T-Mobile, and I would like to unlock the device.

The customer service rep filled out an unlock code request form for me. The next day she called me and walked me through the unlocking process. All is working just fine. I didn't have to pay an extra $45 dollars to a third party to get my unlock code.

Give it a try. As I understand it, Cingular is willing to unlock any phone that you may have that has not been subsidized by Cingular. A phone that has been subsidized always has a contract tied to it in order to guarantee the company that they will at least recoup the cost of the phone they have provided to you at a discount.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:10 PM   #43
onesixeight
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290

I'm wondering if anyone would have any tips for purchasing an 8700c without contract from Cingular. I called one of their local offices, but they said they couldn't sell the phone unless its attached to a number. I have some friends who have Cingular service...Could I ask them to purchase a phone for me?

I've been trying to get an unlocked unit from Adam at gsmphonesource, but he's been having trouble finding unlocking codes.

Any other tips, tricks I can use to buy this phone from Cingular?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 01-25-2006, 02:14 PM   #44
gfunkdave
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-mobile

What do you mean he's having trouble finding unlock codes? I submitted a request to him yesterday and haven't heard back yet, though it hasn't been 24 hours.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:18 PM   #45
shackk

Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesixeight
I'm wondering if anyone would have any tips for purchasing an 8700c without contract from Cingular. I called one of their local offices, but they said they couldn't sell the phone unless its attached to a number. I have some friends who have Cingular service...Could I ask them to purchase a phone for me?

I've been trying to get an unlocked unit from Adam at gsmphonesource, but he's been having trouble finding unlocking codes.

Thanks,
Chris
Im lost, is he having trouble finding unlocked devices or codes to unlock a device?

If you dont have a 8700 why not buy outright on amazon for $449
Old 01-25-2006, 03:13 PM   #46
onesixeight

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackk
Im lost, is he having trouble finding unlocked devices or codes to unlock a device?

If you dont have a 8700 why not buy outright on amazon for $449
Originally, I thought the easiest way for me to get an unlocked 8700c is directly through Adam at gsmphonesource where he has the unit unlocked and ready to go upon arrival. After I ordered it, he said that it might take 2-3 days (back on Mon, 1/16) to ship out. His exact quote is "I am having a bit of trouble finding units that have unlock codes already in the database." I'm not sure if he has the unit in his hands, or he's searching for units that he can unlock.

I was hoping to get the unit ASAP, since the 7290 I'm currently using has to be returned to my old employer by Friday. So I'm left in a little limbo where I need a unit ASAP and I'm trying to figure out what's the easiest way to get an 8700c working on t-mobile. I'm going to try another Cingular store today and maybe go with a friend who has Cingular service to help me buy a unit. I don't mind paying the full price, as long as I can get the unit running on t-mobile. Any ideas?

Thanks guys!

-Chris
Old 01-25-2006, 03:15 PM   #47
onesixeight

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
What do you mean he's having trouble finding unlock codes? I submitted a request to him yesterday and haven't heard back yet, though it hasn't been 24 hours.
Hi there...

According to Adam, the newer units are difficult to unlock.

Here is the message Adam forwarded me from Cingular...

Due to ongoing issues with retrieving the unlock code for Blackberry we are unable to process the SIM unlock request currently. These will remain on file until the issue is resolved. No ETR. Thank you.

-Chris
Old 01-25-2006, 03:34 PM   #48
nickp
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:

Thanks,
Chris
I have four corporate Cingular stores within 20 miles of my home. I called all four and received the following answers when I asked if I could purchase an 8700c for my employee, as a gift, without a contract;

- No Way
- Sure, it will cost you $699
- Sure, it will cost you $549
- Sure, it will cost you $449

Don't ask me why, but I certainly didn't expect different answers from the corporate stores. Guess who got my business :-0

But before you buy, make certain Adam can still unlock it. Mine was definitely locked when I recieved it.

And BTW, T-Mo UK just announced the release of the T-Mo 8700g in early February. So if the Cingular route does not work, you know someone will be importing the UK T-Mo units.

Since they are all quad band, I would assume there shouldn't be any issues using them in the states ?? How about PIN and IMEI numbers with respect to activiation on a US BB Plan ? Hmmmm
Old 01-25-2006, 03:38 PM   #49
stonent
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
PIN: FFFFFFFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickp
I have four corporate Cingular stores within 20 miles of my home. I called all four and received the following answers when I asked if I could purchase an 8700c for my employee, as a gift, without a contract;

- No Way

Don't ask me why, but I certainly didn't expect different answers from the corporate stores. Guess who got my business :-0

But before you buy, make certain Adam can still unlock it. Mine was definitely locked when I recieved it.

And BTW, T-Mo UK just announced the release of the T-Mo 8700g in early February. So if the Cingular route does not work, you know someone will be importing the UK T-Mo units.

Since they are all quad band, I would assume there shouldn't be any issues using them in the states ?? How about PIN and IMEI numbers with respect to activiation on a US BB Plan ? Hmmmm
Shouldn't matter as everything is tied to the SIM. The only possibility to go wrong is an IMEI marked as stolen, so just be sure of that first.

Prior: BES: 7510, 7520, 7290, 7230, 7130, 8220 (No Data Plan), Droid Eris
Post your question on the forum, don't PM me.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:05 PM   #50
onesixeight

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickp

- No Way

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the info! Were you able to unlock yours, or are you using on Cingular service?

I'd really like to get a unit and get it working by the end of this week, so the t-mo uk one isn't an option for me at this point. I'm going to try to shop around and see if I can buy one outright from Cingular today.

The other question I have...If I buy a phone from Cingular at 100% full price, can I call Cingular customer care and have them unlock the phone? I read some posts which say "yes" and some "no." Thanks!

-Chris
Old 01-25-2006, 04:58 PM   #51
Kit

Model: 8320

Quote:
Hi there...

According to Adam, the newer units are difficult to unlock.

Here is the message Adam forwarded me from Cingular...

Due to ongoing issues with retrieving the unlock code for Blackberry we are unable to process the SIM unlock request currently. These will remain on file until the issue is resolved. No ETR. Thank you.

-Chris
I got my locked 8700c yesterday and submitted my unlock request as well. Is this affecting the ability to get ANY unlock requests, or just for some units that don't happen to be in the database yet?

Hopefully I'm able to get mine unlocked for Tmobile.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:54 PM   #52
onesixeight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit
I got my locked 8700c yesterday and submitted my unlock request as well. Is this affecting the ability to get ANY unlock requests, or just for some units that don't happen to be in the database yet?

Hi Kit,

I just got my locked 8700c from a local Cingular store and I'm going to try call Cingular and try the I bought it from a 3rd party deal and see if they'll unlock it. I paid full price, so we'll see how it goes...

If not, who else do you guys recommend besides Adam?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 01-25-2006, 07:59 PM   #53
gfunkdave
Thumbs Must Hurt

I got my unlock code from Adam a couple hours ago, and it worked fine.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:13 PM   #54
onesixeight

Default Update...

Hi Guys...

I just wanted to update you guys about Adam. A really class act! He refunded me my money on the unlocked 8700c I ordered from him and will get me the unlocking code for the unit I purchased from Cingular today!

Thanks!

-Chris
Old 01-26-2006, 03:49 PM   #55
onesixeight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit

Hi Kit,

Was Adam able to unlock your 8700c? Still corssing my fingers...I'm praying he'll be able to unlock mine!

Bests
Chris
Old 01-26-2006, 06:27 PM   #56
Kit

Model: 8320

Quote:
Hi Kit,

Was Adam able to unlock your 8700c? Still corssing my fingers...I'm praying he'll be able to unlock mine!

Bests
Chris
No, he said he will be issuing me a refund. I am going to try again in a week to see if my IMEI is in the database by then and if not unload my phone on Ebay or something I guess.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:29 PM   #57
gfunkdave
Thumbs Must Hurt

He was able to unlock mine last night.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:33 PM   #58
onesixeight

Quote:
He was able to unlock mine last night.
Oh boy...I'm getting worried now. It's reassuring that gfunkdave was able to unlock his, but anyone got any suggestions who I should try next if Adam isn't able to unlock my phone?

BTW, does anyone know how this all works? Is there a list of IMEI's with pre-determined unlock codes?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 01-26-2006, 06:42 PM   #59
gfunkdave
Thumbs Must Hurt

Check out Adam's post at

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=831146

He says it's a database in which he looks up the IMEI.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:03 PM   #60
onesixeight

Quote:
Check out Adam's post at

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=831146

He says it's a database in which he looks up the IMEI.
Thanks for the info...

Did you recently buy your Blackberry? I'm wondering if there is a way to tell if mine is one of the newer ones that is more difficult to unlock.

-Chris
Closed Thread