BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 09:15 AM   #81
cooperpwc
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700R
Carrier: Rogers

Please Login to Remove!

I can't speak for Cingular but the signal for Telstra OS .309 was fine on the Rogers network. I'm now back to build .284 on my latest 8700 handset (for now) and the signal seems no better or worse. The only obvious differences are:

Ring tones don't seem to be quite as loud as Telstra (but still fine).
Zen theme is much much nicer.
Can't run the Today themes.

As I noted in another thread, by copying the Telstra Vodafone .cod file over to the .284 Loader files (Java folder), I am able to enjoy the improvement in that theme while running OS .284.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:19 AM   #82
gadgetfanatic
No longer Registered.

Model: iFon4
Carrier: at&t

How is Zen much, much nicer?
Old 06-29-2006, 11:56 AM   #83
cooperpwc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfanatic
How is Zen much, much nicer?
Don't get me wrong. I like Telstra and will probably upgrade again to return to Dimension Today at some point. But it's a trade-off. They ruined Zen when they took out the option to turn home screen application names off.
So you have to decde: do you want Zen lookin good, or do you want Dimension Today and the other minor bur cetainly tangible improvements in Telstra?
Unlike some, but for Zen I have found nothng wrong with Telstra.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:57 PM   #84
gadgetfanatic
No longer Registered.

Model: iFon4

I leave the app names on Zen so that part doesn't bother me.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:50 AM   #85
IanHummel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Ever since I upgraded to Telestra my 8700 has been dropping calls like crazy (couple times a day). When I had the normal software this wasn't an issue. The question I am faced with now is do I want to lose Dimension Today (not really) and have my signal be more consistant and just run Zen, or keep Dimension Today and deal with the call dropping....... These two options kind of suck.

Last edited by IanHummel; 06-30-2006 at 11:03 AM..
Old 06-30-2006, 01:49 PM   #86
cooperpwc

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanHummel
Ever since I upgraded to Telestra my 8700 has been dropping calls like crazy (couple times a day). When I had the normal software this wasn't an issue. The question I am faced with now is do I want to lose Dimension Today (not really) and have my signal be more consistant and just run Zen, or keep Dimension Today and deal with the call dropping....... These two options kind of suck.
I like Dimension Today too but this doesn't seem like much of a choice at all. If Telstra is really destroying the usefulness of your phone, surely that's more important than a cool but buggy theme...
Old 06-30-2006, 03:29 PM   #87
IanHummel

I agree partly, but the issue that remains then is the fact that I have really become accustomed to having my next couple of appts. on my calender so that when I look at my BB I know what I have coming up, rather than just a reminder pop up ahead of time. Oh well, I agree, I think I'll be just going to the version where you can get a good version of Zen, and not drop calls...
Old 06-30-2006, 09:00 PM   #88
jdjleo

Model: 8700c

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc
They ruined Zen when they took out the option to turn home screen application names off.
So you have to decde: do you want Zen lookin good, or do you want Dimension Today and the other minor bur cetainly tangible improvements in Telstra?
Unlike some, but for Zen I have found nothng wrong with Telstra.
Yah thats how i felt originally. But after turning my 1-touch dialing off and mastering the shortcuts i dont find myself scrolling up and down the home screen displaying the app names. I just leave it selected on the BB apps list icon at the bottom. that leaves your Zen desktop nice and clear!

And i do like that with telstra it displays the actual app icon instead of that busted-looking conputer icon for 3rd party apps!
The New at&t
Old 07-01-2006, 09:18 AM   #89
cooperpwc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjleo
Yah thats how i felt originally. But after turning my 1-touch dialing off and mastering the shortcuts i dont find myself scrolling up and down the home screen displaying the app names. I just leave it selected on the BB apps list icon at the bottom. that leaves your Zen desktop nice and clear!

And i do like that with telstra it displays the actual app icon instead of that busted-looking conputer icon for 3rd party apps!
I had another issue when I went to Telstra that sometimes the SMS app in Zen would display as "SMS Messages" (the new shorter form) and sometimes as the old "SMS and MMS Messages". I'm convinced now that it was because of it remembering the Ribbon Bar Positions from Bharti Zen. It made Telstra Zen particularly ugly.
So I'm now going to upgrade to Telstra again to get Dimension Today back but with the Ribbon Bar Positions part of the Restore database deleted; see if that solves the problem.
And indeed, now that I use PocketDay Lists, having Zen display the actual 3rd party app icon has become attractive.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:47 AM   #90
cooperpwc

Default They really did ruin Zen

I just did my lazy Saturday return to Telstra. And really I'm shocked. I had not noticed the first time just how badly they had compromised Zen:

1. As noted you can't turn off app names on the home screen. But scrolling is no longer smooth because it has to grab the app names for the icons; there's an anoying delay.

2. Even worse, they got rid of a great feature. If you're like me, you keep your apps menu as simple as possible and do everything off hotkeys. With Zen in OS .284, you could choose the first 5 apps on your menu as the ones that would display on your homescreen and then hide them. The result was that they appeared on your homescreen but not on the menu. Very clean and very smart. Very stupid that they got rid of this feature in Tesltra Zen. Now if you hide the apps on the menu, they also disappear on your home screen.
I understand the reasoning: it confused too many people to have such complicated power. But it's this dumbing down to the lowest common denominator that I think is unfortunate.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:23 PM   #91
IanHummel

Anyone else have the issue of dropping calls more frequently (the beeping in the ear with the message "call failed") with the Telestra upgrade?
Old 07-03-2006, 03:44 PM   #92
lgreenberg

Model: 8310
PIN: 2453F457 OR 242B5C50
Carrier: Cingular

I get it every once and a while.

But it's not a dropped call for me. It happens when I first try to connect a call. It doesn't dial out instead it gives me the "call failed" message. I just keep trying and it eventually goes through.

Doesn't happen often though.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:13 PM   #93
sanjeevjoshi
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular
Thumbs up No problems with Telstra and Today Themes

I have upgraded my Cingular OS first to Bharti, then to Telstra. Conference calling reliability has improved, ringer volume bug has gone, Today themes are nice. Call quality is as good, battery life has actually improved by about 30%. About the only issue I have with the Today themes is that sometimes messages that I have opened or marked opened stay in the home page. I have to mark them un-opened, then mark them again as opened so that they go away from the home screen. Does not happen consistently, but does occur every now and then.

Old 07-03-2006, 05:19 PM   #94
diegosalinas
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310

so would someone walking into TMO and getting a 8700g today automatically have this latest OS everyone keeps posting about?