Old 09-23-2010, 10:19 AM   #1
aenflex
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Boost
Default Remove Themes - Boost 8330 CDMA

Please Login to Remove!

I've read some articles about removing preloaded themes. I follwed these steps exactly:
current OS installed on your PC - check
Do a complete backup of your device - check
When the backup is complete, close the Desktop Manager and unplug your BB.
Delete the vendor.xml file from your PC -done
go to Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\xxx\Java on your PC
( many claim to not see the shared folder, I didn't either, until I installed the BB OS software to my pc, after that I had no problems finding the files)
I chose to remove:
net_rim_theme_bbdimentions_icon_320x240_b
net_rim_theme_bbdimentions_l_320x240_b
net_rim_theme_bbdimentions_today_320x240_b
all files prefaced with net_rim_vad_
net_rim_bb_passwordkeeper_resource_
Connect your device to your PC and run the Application Loader to complete the changes.
The themes were not removed, the voice dialing was not removed. Only thing that was removed is the password keeper, which can be done from the Applications section of the DM without needing all these extra steps.

Does anyone know definitively if it is possible to remove themes/vad from the BB 8330 CDMA thru Boost? And if so, would anyone be willing to tell me where I went wrong?
Thanks much!

Also, since I've done this, my DM wont recognize my device. I have tried going to Control Panel > System > Device Manager on your PC and delete you Blackberry Device. Then reconnecting it - didn't work. Also uninstalled DM and reinstalled it, and it still wont recognize my device. I would be very happy just to have this problem fixed, nevermind the main issue.

Last edited by aenflex; 09-23-2010 at 10:22 AM..
Old 09-23-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
aenflex

Ok, if I use Crackmem to remove these things, vad and themes, will they automatically be put back when I run app loader? I am having a hard time understanding how this works...thanks
Old 09-23-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
aenflex

Nevermind. I couldn't figure out what to do after running crackmem...I did not need an OS update, and these instructions are tailored around that. I did locate and run loader.exe after running crackmem, which thank god has removed some of what I selected.

However, BB Curve 8330 owners with BOOST - crackmem did NOT remove the 5 uneeded preinstalled Themes. I have run crackmem 2 times now, and these themes are still on my device. The VAD and TTY were removed, but not themes and not sample music.
If anyone knows how to remove these themes from 8330 BOOST Curve, please let me know, I'll try anything.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
SoccerRef12
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon
Default Removing Themes

Quote:
Originally Posted by aenflex View Post
Nevermind. I couldn't figure out what to do after running crackmem...I did not need an OS update, and these instructions are tailored around that. I did locate and run loader.exe after running crackmem, which thank god has removed some of what I selected.

However, BB Curve 8330 owners with BOOST - crackmem did NOT remove the 5 uneeded preinstalled Themes. I have run crackmem 2 times now, and these themes are still on my device. The VAD and TTY were removed, but not themes and not sample music.
If anyone knows how to remove these themes from 8330 BOOST Curve, please let me know, I'll try anything.

You can use BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife (bbsak) from ppcgeeks.com to remove cods directly from you BB. I'd be very careful about removing too many themes. I keep the net_rim_theme_precision_zen_xxxb01 and b07 on my BB.
Closed Thread