BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 05:27 AM   #1
WWT

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: MTS (Russia)
Question Unite: without Blackberry data plan?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all.
I was using a Blackberry, but no one mobile operator in Russia does not provide services to BIS.
Can I use Unite, if I do not have Blackberry data plan?
Old 06-23-2008, 05:49 AM   #2
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

no you still need a data plan
Old 06-23-2008, 06:03 AM   #3
WWT

Carrier: MTS (Russia)

Wirelessly posted

Bad news for me.But I suggest it.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:55 AM   #4
el_sheepo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: -
Default Unite works (only?) via USB

I noticed that I actually can use Unite (browser and push-mail) without a data plan as long as I leave the BlackBerry connected to my PC via USB. As soon as I disconnect it, it stops working (loses connection).

The data somehow seems to come through the USB cable because there isn't any traffic to / from my BB while I use it (there are no blue arrows on the top right corner and I checked my bill to make really sure). This may sound strange but it really works for me. Unite pushes all the necessary service books to the device so mail and the browser are activated.

I also noticed that activating Unite on my device somehow breaks my regular GPRS connection. After deleting the Unite service books, it works perfectly again.

If only I could figure out a way to make the browser work after disconnecting it from the PC. The browser, mail icons and the service books all remain on the device but the connection no longer works. Maybe one could make it work with the right APN settings or something like that?

If anyone has further thoughts / insights on this, I would appreciate it .

P.S.: I'm not trying to "steal" BIS from my provider or something like that. My provider doesn't even offer BIS, but I wouldn't mind having the BB browser (wap would suffice me) because all the 3rd party applications (including Gmail app which I use for mail) try to access the BB browser instead of Opera (which I use for surfing). I don't care for push-mail but the browser would be nice to have.

@ WWT: I can recommend using Gmail app for your mail (set up a Google Mail account first if you don't already have one) and Opera Mini for browsing. They both work great without a data plan!

Last edited by el_sheepo; 09-12-2008 at 02:03 AM..
Closed Thread