Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 02:42 AM   #1
mikebowen1

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default Broken USB/Charging Port...but I found a temp fix

Please Login to Remove!

So, the USB port on my 8830 recently broke and I was unable to charge my phone. I went to Sprint and they ordered me a replacement phone, but it isn't going to be here for a couple days and I'm leaving for a work trip tomorrow for the week, so I need my phone!

Anyways, I have been trying to track down a external battery charger, but can't find anything locally. I was about to give up and just buy a used phone for the week, but then was just playing around with the 8830 and noticed the 2 gold contacts on the side of the phone. I realized that they must be a spot for charging from some kind of cradle or something.

So I popped off the battery cover and noticed the + and - sign on the battery almost lined up perfectly with the contacts on the side.

Soooo, figuring that since we can charge from a USB port, I figured the 5V 0.5A power source would work for the same side connectors. So I cut up a spare USB cable I had laying around and stripped down the red (+5v) and black (Gnd) wires.

From there I kind of bunched them up and stuffed the red one into the left contact and taped it down with electrical tape and then did the same with the black wire in the right contact. Make sure to use as much wire as you can without touching the two wires/contacts and tape them down separately and nice and firm.

It's been plugged into my computer for about 25 minutes now and it was completely drained and I have nearly 1/4 full power. I'm going to get it fully charged and them just bring this cable and electrical tape with me so I can charge it at the hotel from my laptop when needed.

Not sure if someone else has done something like this but I was pretty stoked to fix it and not have to get some crappy cheap phone for the week. Hopefully it will help someone else.

NOTE: I won't take any responsibility for someone screwing up their phone or computer trying to do this. IF you don't have a basic understanding of electronics and simple DC power, don't try this. Shorting the wires out could not only damage your phone and your computer, but also cause yourself injury.

There is an image below if you fix the link, it won't let me post since im new

imgtree.net/files/ibs6c879z3ml2hhdga2l .jpg
Old 12-30-2008, 04:52 AM   #2
wireless
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: SPRINT-TMobile
Default The Blackberry Power Station

The contacts on the 8830 are actually for the Blackberry Marketed "Blackberry Power Station". It is available with different interchangeable cradles for the Pearl 81xxs, the 83xx Curves and the 88xxs and the 9000s. I fidnd that my Pearl will actually charge quite well in my 83xx cradle btw, just have to place it in the cradle dead center. The cradles are actually quite cheap, I have gotten for less then $10 shipped. They also come with a detachable charger for charge a second battery. If removed from the charger, it will charge the battery stand alone by the use of a Mini USB Cable. Last, it has a chargiing port in the back for a BB (Plantronics) Bluetoioth Headset. It is a hole with a rubber stopper in it, remove the stopper and a simple Mini USB port is revealed and the Headset plugs directly into that Mini USB port to charge. I have not seen any other Headset but that BB one that will fit it. Being it is a Plantronics headset, I must assum they have a Non BB branded one that may fit? Worth a look , I just haven't.

Many recommend that you get the charger after you get a replacement phone for the broken Mini USB, so as not to have a repeat episode and break the new one. Not only is it a very VERY nice charger system, it also will take the daily strain of charging off the badly designed Mini USB poirt that RIM still will not acknowledge. I do reommend this charger and I like the fact that it will "grow" with you and your updated Bbs, as long as RIM keeps making cradles that is. (Or keeps making C Series batteries) I bought 3 for less then $20 ea shipped recentlly on Ebay. Brand new in white boxes. While not the norm, deals can be had. Usually you will see the models WITHOUT the second C Battery included ( mine came with extra C Series battery, I was also shocked, but they can come packaged with an extra battery or without) for about $60-$70.

Last edited by wireless; 12-30-2008 at 08:02 AM..
Old 12-30-2008, 11:36 AM   #3
mikebowen1

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Yeah, thats what I came to figure out. But, this is a quick fix like I said for someone who doesn't have the time to wait for something like that to be shipped out to me and can't find those external chargers locally. I'm planning on ordering one of those, I was just hoping i could help someone else out who was in a bind like I was.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:32 AM   #4
jled0920

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T

I was having the same problem with my blackberry and I didn't know about the cradle. I was about to buy a new phone but not anymore thanks to you guys! I'm going to order one right now
Closed Thread