BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 04:02 PM   #1
tammoo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7250
Default Getting my First Blackberry from Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Is there any information that I need before purchasing?

From what I can tell the 7250 is the best Verizon has at this time, right? I really want the GPS option that the 7520 has, will this be something that can be upgraded on the 7250 or should I wait until Verizon has the 7520 available.

Mainly what I need is a phone and calender (hopefully I sync with my MSN calendar) in one and occasionally be able to use my phone as a modem for my laptop and GPS would be an awesome addition. Also, I usually send more text messages than I do IM. Is this the right phone for me?

I am under contract with a family share plan, so changing carriers is out of the questions. Plus, almost all of my co-workers have Verizon for the IN-NETWORK.
I will be the first in the family to try the Blackberry out, would the already existing voice plan be an issue? Does anyone know what the typical bill would be for a single user on the Verizon plan, I just don't want to get in the store and be talked into something that I don't really need. I use MSN messenger and they have that option available for 4.99 a month, would this be the only thing I would need for chat and browsing?

Thanks in advanced.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:01 PM   #2
geekman686
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e

I think you are going to need a Blackberry data plan, either the 5 meg plan at $39.99 or the unlimited plan at $49.99. You need the BB data plan in order to access emails and any other data sent to/from your blackberry.

MSN messenger does NOT natively work on the blackberry, you will need additional software ($$$) available on the internet and an additional monthly fee ($$$) in addition to the verizon bb data plan.

You can search this forum for additional information on IM software for the bb.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:40 PM   #3
tammoo

thanks for your reply, I'm not looking forward to a $500 investment that won't serve my needs. I just want to make certain this is the right choice for me. thanks again
Old 04-15-2005, 08:59 PM   #4
b60boy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T, dumped VZW

FYI, I went and bought the Verizon BB 7250 today. Love it. However, they told me there will be a price drop or promotion in 2 weeks. Unfortunately, I need this device now. However, you will love it when you get it.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:08 PM   #5
Psyko

Model: 8830
Carrier: TELUS

Both the 7250 and 7520 are of the same generation, the 7250 is the CDMA version and the 7520 is the iDEN equivalent (there's also the 7290 which is GSM). Therefore Verizon will never sell the 7520.

Both models have GPS but their implementation is different. I know you can use the GPS feature with third party apps in the 7520 just like you can do it with other Nextel phones but as far as I know, with the 7250 it's only for e-911.

If you want to use it as a wireless modem for your laptop, I heard this will become available but for now you can't. However don't take my word for it and ask Verizon (I'm not a VZW client). The handset is capable, it's only a matter of wether it's supported by your carrier or not.

If you want to use you BB as a GPS device for your laptop, you'd better buy a real USB GPS adapter dongle (like the one made by Garmin), it'll be faster and more accurate.

For the text messaging part, it's really a joy with the BB as it's way faster to type, send and receive SMS than it is with a typical phone. For IM, you would need a third party software like Verichat but you need a data plan for that. And yes in most cases you can keep your actual voice plan and just add a data add-on, but it depends if you carrier's policies permit it. You could also probably use Verizon's and/or MSN's wap portal though but it won't be as nice.

Lastly, you mentionned MSN calendar... I guess you could access your MSN calendar from MSN Mobile's wap portal but you won't be able to sync it with you BB unless you can sync it first with Outlook but as an MSN Plus subscriber myself, I haven't been able to do it.

Hope this answers you questions... Others correct me if I'm wrong

Psyko
Old 04-15-2005, 10:19 PM   #6
tammoo

Thanks Psyko that is GREAT information, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I think I'm about ready to go buy that first blackberry.
Closed Thread