Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 08:14 AM   #1
donna80

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: orange
Default New to blackberry please help

Please Login to Remove!

Hello, i have always used nokias, but have upgraded my contract and have opted to try out the new blackberry 8120 .. So far i not sure :(

Ok few issues.

When i turnt my phone on it takes ages to come on, when it does all is well. (have rebooted few times).

I have followed the tutorial it gave me, and set up my msn email address that i use all the time right.

Now on my screen it shows the envelope (as far as i was aware its a short cut to messaging) BUT am having probs with it, when i click it it is to send an email or read and email?

I want to be able to set a shortcut up to text a sms... please help, i have about 3 days to get used to this phone, and that is one of the most important things for me to be able to do. Keyboard will take some time getting used to, but the texting sms needs to be on the main scren lol..

Thanks for any help you can give.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:20 AM   #2
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

Wirelessly posted (Tmo's cheapest BB customer)

How long does it take from the time you press the power button to when the phone is loaded up and ready to go? Shouldn't be more than 20seconds.

As for the envelope icon that's a central location for all your messages and texts. When you are there you should be able to see received messages. To send an email, press the blackberry or menu key and select that from the options.

There is an application you can get to set up a shortcut for composing text (don't remember the name) but you can go to your address book, scroll to a contact, press the menu key and select email/SMS/MMS that contact. Pretty easy and straight forward I think.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:21 AM   #3
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Welcome to the forums.

Go to Messages > Options > General Options > SMS & Email = Separate.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 05-05-2009, 08:34 AM   #4
donna80

Model: 8120
Carrier: orange

Hmm i don't understand :(

Umm ok on my screen down left hand side there is an envelope i put my scroll on it and it shows messages i click it and i have few messages in there that blackberry sent me when i activated my email. BUT i do not see inbox, sent messages etc like you do with any other phone. When i click that scroll down i can compose an email or text no probs BUT its rather slow doing it? considering i am a texting geek, i like to be able to do it quicker!

Is there a short cut to just compose other than going through the above or contacts to send them a message? And how do i find inbox, sent, drafts, etc etc ?

I am confused with this phone.. lol Shame mind.. BUT i have 3 days to get used to it, or i can send it back.. is there a nokia that does simular to this? lol
Takes about half a min to turn on, its ok
Old 05-05-2009, 10:20 AM   #5
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

There is a compose icon on the bold, hidden under applications. I dont know if this is on the 8120.

Best nokia like a BB would be something like the E71.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 05-05-2009, 05:40 PM   #6
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by donna80 View Post
Hmm i don't understand :(

Umm ok on my screen down left hand side there is an envelope i put my scroll on it and it shows messages i click it and i have few messages in there that blackberry sent me when i activated my email. BUT i do not see inbox, sent messages etc like you do with any other phone. When i click that scroll down i can compose an email or text no probs BUT its rather slow doing it? considering i am a texting geek, i like to be able to do it quicker!

Is there a short cut to just compose other than going through the above or contacts to send them a message? And how do i find inbox, sent, drafts, etc etc ?

I am confused with this phone.. lol Shame mind.. BUT i have 3 days to get used to it, or i can send it back.. is there a nokia that does simular to this? lol
Takes about half a min to turn on, its ok
You won't find those folders as they don't exist.

Turn off dialing from the Home Screen and you can press the "C" key to get to "Compose" or there should be a "Compose" icon on the Curve. Be sure that it is not hidden. Menu > Show All
Old 05-06-2009, 01:04 AM   #7
CoDudette
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: iOS
PIN: OT Noir.
Carrier: Vodafone IN

When you separate your sms and email inboxes right, you'll have two envelopes. one for your sms, and one for your email.
if you receive and email you'll see the envelope next to the received email. when you SEND an email, you'll have a tick mark against the mail you sent. (it will be on the left).

Same goes with SMS. When a SMS is delivered, (and if you have delivery reports enabled), you'll see a 'D' with the tick mark. there isn't really a separate sent items folder for either. it takes a bit getting used to, especially if you've been on a nokia before, but it's actualy a lot easier over time .

Midnightdraven: as far as i know, there isn't a hidden compose icon in the 8120. I hadn't seen it ever, when i had it
Closed Thread