Old 03-04-2006, 06:52 PM   #1
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T
Default POLL - Zen's most scary part

Please Login to Remove!

Just for the heckof it, what part of the Zen upgrade (other than worrying some guy from Seattle who we all appreciate was going to beat your head with drumsticks) caused you the most concern and worry.

For me is sure felt like the wipe of the existing OS would never end, and the reboot, started to get me going too.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:56 PM   #2
Seattle18
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
Just for the heckof it, what part of the Zen upgrade (other than worrying some guy from Seattle who we all appreciate was going to beat your head with drumsticks) caused you the most concern and worry.

For me is sure felt like the wipe of the existing OS would never end, and the reboot, started to get me going too.
Nicely worded.

I didn't like the long delay while going through the upgrade process - it felt like the wipe was going to destroy everything. Also, to be honmest, I was a bit hesitant to overwrite my OS with a version from Bharti!
Old 03-04-2006, 07:08 PM   #3
Sparkomatic
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
PIN: S & Needles
Carrier: I don't even know her

Same here. You know, I've owned Treo's and Pocket PC's and never worried about blowing those up when I was loading updates or beta software. But, man oh man, if my BB had died... I would have been on the floor crying!

It was very stressful and I'm now seeking psychiatric help.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:51 PM   #4
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: At&T

I was worried too on doign the upgrade. I went with it thinking that I would have to place everything back but all was there in the end. The worst part of it was when it was restoring the device info which got stuck at around 80% for about 20 minutes. I unpluged it and repluged it and it then showed me that all was a success. IM+ gave me an issue, (ver3.2.1) but then a a omplete uninstale and delet of the app from the app loader a reset and re-install did the fix and all is runing.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:38 PM   #5
lgreenberg

Model: 8310
PIN: 2453F457 OR 242B5C50
Carrier: Cingular

Having already done a wipe and OS reload when I switched to BES (because of some error) I remembered those lengthy waits wondering if the update was actually doing anything or if it was frozen (like when it's erasing everthing.)

I was still slightly concerned but I figured who cares? I'd just buy myself a new unit if I screw it up. I need a dust free one anyway.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:43 PM   #6
cjhp
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

I agree with Seattle18 the OS from Bharti was the part that worried me the most. Especially during the reboot that seems to take an eternity to complete. I think it really on took about 8-9 minutes but when you are waiting and thinking have I just fried my new 8700 BB, it seemed longer. I would do it again in a heart beat. The support here is great as well!! Thanks for sharing your knowledge with all....
Old 03-04-2006, 10:57 PM   #7
xkon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700R
Carrier: Rogers

Ive literally tried almost all OS's so it was not scary at all... I try a new one every few weeks if I come across it!

...I can reactivate myself on my BES though, things would be different if I wasnt able to do that.

did anyone have an issue restoring after the upgrade? My content store never did restore - I had to download my ringtones again after .258 and up
Old 03-04-2006, 11:19 PM   #8
celcius
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c

Since I've played around with re-installing the original OS, I learned to have patience with the reboot afterwards. But the first time I did re-install the OS that long delay scared the crap out of me.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:14 AM   #9
AlbertoM
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Some of my calendar items are now duplicated (the all day ones). And if I delete one they both get deleted. Also when I scroll in Agenda view it hops from March 8 to October 13, although it is ok in day view or if I enter a date. Will figure it out eventually. Otherwise it is a great theme with way better sound and volume!

Oh yeah, the scary part...it hung up at 11% restored and waited and waited...i then started it as a BES activation and waited and waited....but everything was there. Just in case I had IT reset and then I reactivated BES. All is well....

Last edited by AlbertoM; 03-05-2006 at 12:22 AM..
Old 03-05-2006, 12:45 AM   #10
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

babies, the lot of you ... babies!
Old 03-06-2006, 04:24 PM   #11
justin.culp
CrackBerry Addict

Model: SOLD
Carrier: at&t

I also load OS's when the come out and end up reloading OS's every other week or so....no stress here.

Old 03-06-2006, 07:35 PM   #12
Lex Luthor

Model: 9800
Carrier: xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;

After messing around with the .alx file a few times everything finally worked. The 30min wait while to load up on my BlackBerry didn't bother me and everything was restored just fine. Thanks again to everyone who had helped me out through the process.
Closed Thread