Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 10:52 PM   #1
ea3421
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular
Default unlock the 8830

Please Login to Remove!

I want to unlock my 8830 so I can use SIM cards from local carriers overseas. I actually used the service on Unlock Your Blackberry 8830 Cell Phone from Verizon, which is a scam. They charged me and never sent me the code. Is there any other way to get the 8830 unlocked?

Just a word of advice -- don't use Unlock Your Blackberry 8830 Cell Phone from Verizon
Old 06-06-2007, 11:11 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Use www.gsmphonesource.com
Very reputable. Sorry about your troubles.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:25 AM   #3
tifosiv122
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea3421 View Post
I want to unlock my 8830 so I can use SIM cards from local carriers overseas. I actually used the service on Unlock Your Blackberry 8830 Cell Phone from Verizon, which is a scam. They charged me and never sent me the code. Is there any other way to get the 8830 unlocked?

Just a word of advice -- don't use Unlock Your Blackberry 8830 Cell Phone from Verizon
Did you wait the 5-7 days they said it takes to get your code?

Erik
Old 06-07-2007, 04:02 PM   #4
ea3421

yes I did wait. I bought it on May 23rd, still no response. Has anyone unlocked their phone successfully? If yes, how?
Old 06-07-2007, 04:06 PM   #5
bmwmpower
No longer Registered.

PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

I am waiting for the code from the same website. This site better not be a scam or I'll definitely make sure the authorities are notified. I'll give them the shadow of a doubt -- let's just hope the best case scenario is that their organization is poorly ran.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:12 PM   #6
ea3421

I sent them a few emails as well, and no response. This looks like a scam to me.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:36 PM   #7
bmwmpower
No longer Registered.

Did you pay through paypal? We should get together and complain.. this doesnt seem right... I'd hate to think he's a fraud ive seen him around on the forums advertising his sh!t.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:06 PM   #8
ofelas
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: VZW

Sorry to hear about y'alls experience there on that site.
I was considering buying that site's service based on the suggestions of others when I noticed this post.
If memory serves, his satisfied customers are made up of a couple posters with 1 to 3 posts each.
Hope this gets resolved for ya!
Old 06-11-2007, 03:18 PM   #9
Jay5

Carrier: Versucken
Question ME too

Me too, although he said he had a medical problem. I got this email from him on his personal GMAIL account on 5/25/07:

-------------
<my name>
im in the hospital i had emergency surgery on tueday night
they are letting me out tonight i hope
this is the first i am getting to email i will update you as soon as im out of here
this is not just a bs story
im at <city> city<hospital> room <room number> patient <his name>
thanks

<his name>
-------------------

Also I talked to him on the phone, he seemed on the up and up. The only thing is he went radio silent on me right after this email. He could have possibly had more medical problems? Or maybe its a scam but thats really far to take it.

One more thing is the buy button is no longer on his site for the 8830. Possibly he is just having problems getting the verzion sim's?

anyways some one PM me if you hear from him.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:52 PM   #10
slinky
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Verizon Sucks

Sounds like a scam to me. All his domains and contact information are private. There is not only no buy button but he provides instructions to unlock a GSM version of the 8800 passed off as a link to unlock an 8830. Someone had to take time to change this and perhaps he was able to somehow get hold of a laptop from the emergency room (sympathy ploy.) Sharing the information isn't a crime and I wonder if it's even legitimate.

From my discussion with some reputable unlockers they said it is almost impossible to unlock the 8830. I was unhappy to hear this but they cited several reasons why they will very likely never have a solution.

The solution is as follows. Never ever buy anything from Verizon Wireless if you can help it since, other than perhaps a slightly better signal at the moment, you will be forced to cough up significantly higher fees for add-ons. Since you are locked into a 1 or 2 year contract with them for service, be very sure that you are getting a significantly better signal. If you travel internationally think about your purchase. If you care about GPS think about not using Verizon otherwise it will cost you $10 per month plus tax to use their service even if you already paid for TomTom. The chance that this phone will be unlocked in response to Sprint's offering is almost zero from my knowledge. This is because of Verizon's relationship with Vodaphone and its GSM capabilities.

Sorry to hear about your experience and thank you for sharing it with many other hopeful people. If I can help you I'm glad to provide legal assistance if there is any application.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:02 PM   #11
ea3421

Wow, I bought this phone under the assumption I would be able to unlock it from that website. Now I find out its a scam! I am going to Europe for a few months, and really don't want to pay the Long Distance charges, so was hoping to get a local SIM Card. I am trying to get an unlock code from GSM PhoneSource - When Only The Best Will Do. I'll let you know how that works. As for this scam, I am arguing the charge with my credit card. I'm sure they'll take it off.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:11 PM   #12
slinky
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Wow, I bought this phone under the assumption I would be able to unlock it from that website. Now I find out its a scam! I am going to Europe for a few months, and really don't want to pay the Long Distance charges, so was hoping to get a local SIM Card. I am trying to get an unlock code from GSM PhoneSource - When Only The Best Will Do. I'll let you know how that works. As for this scam, I am arguing the charge with my credit card. I'm sure they'll take it off.
Much obliged. They claim to be able to unlock any phone and I'd certainly be interested to hear if they can somehow miraculously unlock the Verizon 8830 model.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:43 PM   #13
sanglee

I've traded several emails with Adam who runs gsmphonesource.com. He has informed me that no unlock codes are available. He actually refunded my money very quickly. I hope that this phone is unlockable!

Last edited by sanglee; 06-19-2007 at 01:45 PM..
Old 06-19-2007, 01:59 PM   #14
slinky
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Sorry to hear about the scam but thank you for letting us all know. While you're in Europe, stop in at Vodaphone and let them know that you don't care to be raped by any wireless provider that seems to always begin with the letter "V." You're better off buying the cheapest phone you can and just using it with a local sim. If you need access directly to your local number, forward your mobile phone to a VOIP number and forward that to your international cell phone. ;)
Old 06-27-2007, 04:56 PM   #15
cheese45

Model: 7520
Carrier: nextel

try these guys: Unlock BlackBerry IMEI Unlocking

they'll refund your money if an unlock code for your imei isnt found in the database....typically they're found, sometimes just takes a couple days.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:16 PM   #16
whoscalling

If it can be done Adam at GSMphonesource will do it. I have used him several times to unlock. As recent as my curve.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:11 AM   #17
BlondeBoyL

Default Update - I SUCCESSFULLY Unlocked my 8830

Its true, with the help of verizon I did unlock the damn thing this morning. It took some fighting though because I wrote an e-mail to verizon explaining how pissed I was about them saying that the unlock codes were unavailable when sprint's 8830 is unlocked. Last night they e-mailed me back and were very nice. they gave the form to fill out and had me fax it in and from that point it was a waiting game. Today about 10:45am they called me back (and global support is not usually open on weekends) and gave me the code and walked me through the process of unlocking the phone. Just an FYI, the MEPD code does not work, you have to enter MEP2 to bring up the dialog to enter the code. So now my 8830 is unlocked. If anyone doubts it I will post pics if you like. I hope this helps some of you but if you are told the codes are unavailable... its BULL S*IT!

Edit: They only give the code if you paid outright for the phone (full retail). If you did the upgrade and got the discount I dont think they will give you the code without charging a fee or something.

Last edited by BlondeBoyL; 07-07-2007 at 10:13 AM..
Old 07-07-2007, 12:27 PM   #18
gsmps
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoscalling View Post
If it can be done Adam at GSMphonesource will do it. I have used him several times to unlock. As recent as my curve.
I appreciate that but right now unless you can get it from Verizon these codes are unavailable
Old 07-09-2007, 03:03 PM   #19
ofelas

Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondeBoyL View Post
Its true, with the help of verizon I did unlock the damn thing this morning. It took some fighting though because I wrote an e-mail to verizon explaining how pissed I was about them saying that the unlock codes were unavailable when sprint's 8830 is unlocked. Last night they e-mailed me back and were very nice. they gave the form to fill out and had me fax it in and from that point it was a waiting game. Today about 10:45am they called me back (and global support is not usually open on weekends) and gave me the code and walked me through the process of unlocking the phone. Just an FYI, the MEPD code does not work, you have to enter MEP2 to bring up the dialog to enter the code. So now my 8830 is unlocked. If anyone doubts it I will post pics if you like. I hope this helps some of you but if you are told the codes are unavailable... its BULL S*IT!

Edit: They only give the code if you paid outright for the phone (full retail). If you did the upgrade and got the discount I dont think they will give you the code without charging a fee or something.
Hi there, great news! Pics & details would be great!!

edited -

Just spoke to Global Support - they insist there is no such code available, to anyone, whether MEPD or "MEP2".
Pics/details would be great, as I can call Global Support again with that info.

Last edited by ofelas; 07-09-2007 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: New information
Old 07-09-2007, 04:37 PM   #20
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Carrier: *

Unlocking the Verizonewireless 8830 - Page 2 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
Closed Thread