Please Login to Remove!

Did everyone get it going?

Did you have to call verizon first?
Old 06-13-2007, 03:01 PM   #22
ssbands04
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

I'm getting mroe and more skeptical.........There's not even a location to put in the IMEI number or anything........Can you PLEASE expalin in very clear and concise terms?
Old 06-13-2007, 09:02 PM   #23
robissicer

PIN: N/A

I tried to call Verizon and had no sucess. I talked to the international/global office and they said they do not have codes yet and were very unspecific when if ever they would have codes. Again, just comes down to Verizon wanting to make as much money as possible. Mobile technology is way behind in this country and people don't realize how much companies like Verizon are taking advantage. One example, ALL incoming calls and incoming text (sms) massages are free in the UK, most of Europe, Australia and New Zealand. I am sure that most other countries in the world are the same, those above are just the places that I lived abroad, so I know first hand.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:30 AM   #24
homer22568

in order to actually unlock it you have to insert a non-verizon SIM card. Go to options ---> advanced options ----> SIM Card. It will say "No Sim Card Detected" or something like that and then you just type in "mep2" without quotes and a box will pop up saying: "Enter Network MEP Code (10 left)". the "10 left" means you only have 10 attempts.

Verizon will not provide you with those instructions -- I had to figure them out on my own by looking at various sites and stuff -- but most important is that you HAVE to have a non-verizon sim card in the phone.

It took me about 5 different calls to finally get this form from verizon so if you don't have luck the first time -- just keep trying. And the number to the "global department" I was talking about is: 803-400-4455. Call them and they should know --
Old 06-14-2007, 11:55 AM   #25
robissicer

Thanks, the information in the last message helped me. I am to the point where the phone is asking for the MEP code. I had Global Customer Sevice on the line and was basically quoting the stipulations in the contract for meeting the criteria for unlocking the phone. They said that they did not have the codes yet for the Blackberry 8830 World Edition yet. This sounds like a fib to me. They also said because I just signed up for a 2 yr contract that I would have to pay the difference between the retail price and the promo price. I am not sure what they mean in the contract when it says "(i) met the minimum contract term for that line of service". I will try back again tomorrow I guess. They seem to think that "my friend" must have had another device unlocked. I said "no definatlely the Bberry 8830". Will let you know what happens.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:22 PM   #26
ssbands04

I'm having major issues too.......They are saying that they don't have the software to unlock the device yet.......And they're just really making me angry.....
Old 06-14-2007, 03:31 PM   #27
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbands04 View Post
I'm having major issues too.......They are saying that they don't have the software to unlock the device yet.......And they're just really making me angry.....
You're getting too worked up over this.
There's no rule that says a carrier must provide an unlock code to anyone.
You can't make them do it. They can simply say 'No' and you'll have no recourse.

If you *need* an unlocked GSM phone for some dire emergency, then perhaps the 8830 was a poor choice.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:23 PM   #28
ssbands04

Anyone have an update as to whether or not they received their code from VZW?
Old 06-15-2007, 11:01 AM   #29
alexvega
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold2
PIN: G.
Carrier: at&t, son.

i unlocked my 8300 for free by calling cingular. i got mine through the premier website... so i'm not sure if that matters. I got it last week, called a couple of days ago and said i was going out of the country, and asked them to email me the code. They did.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:14 AM   #30
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexvega View Post
i unlocked my 8300 for free by calling cingular. i got mine through the premier website... so i'm not sure if that matters. I got it last week, called a couple of days ago and said i was going out of the country, and asked them to email me the code. They did.
This thread is for the 8830, not the 8300. 8300 unlocking is simple. The 8830 is a little more complicated.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:29 AM   #31
MPScan

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
There's no rule that says a carrier must provide an unlock code to anyone.You can't make them do it. They can simply say 'No' and you'll have no recourse.
That is not entirely true. Provided you met certain requirements, the carrier cannot deny you an unlock code to use your wireless handset for "lawful" purposes on other carriers networks, provided the handset has the capability to do so...

The cell phone companies were sued back in 2004 for preventing consumers from unlocking their phones.

If you want to do some real reasing, I suggest you see section IIIa5 here: Federal Register: Exemption to Prohibition on Circumvention of Copyright Protection Systems for Access Control Technologies and read about the six exempted classes.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:26 PM   #32
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Actually, it is entirely true. But don't fret... this legislation is misunderstood by a great many people. You're simply misinterpreting the legislation in this instance.
It is NOT illegal for wireless companies to lock phones... nor is there any legislation that requires them to provide an unlock code for a locked device.

The legislation you are referring to simply makes it "not illegal" for an end user to unlock their own device. It's no longer a crime, or a violation of any kind, for a user to unlock their GSM device.
There is nothing in these decisions or rulings that require a carrier to provide unlock codes or unlock services for their locked devices.

See here: U.S. Copyright Office - Anticircumvention Rulemaking

There's a big difference.

Last edited by penguin3107; 06-15-2007 at 12:30 PM..
Old 06-15-2007, 04:41 PM   #33
superkame

Model: 8700

You 2 sox fans sounds like lawyers
Old 06-17-2007, 11:42 AM   #34
ssbands04

Anyone have an update?
Old 07-02-2007, 04:29 AM   #35
robissicer

VZW claims that they will unlock my Blackberry 8830 if I either 1. I pay full retail for the phone, or 2. I am out of contract. So, basically if you pay them an extra $319, they will unlock it.

However, they claim that they have not received the unlock codes from RIM. I am not outside of my one month cooling off period, so if i do not get an unlock code before than, I will be returning the device.

Again, great option domestically, but completely impractical for international travel. They want to charge something like $1.30/min on outgoing and incoming calls. That is just ridiculous. I can get a SIM with any number of networks in the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Spain . . . . just to name a few and I get free incoming calls and tolerable international rates. Unfortunately, most Americans do not know how badly they are being ripped off by US cell phone companies.
Closed Thread