Old 08-09-2011, 09:34 AM   #1
Garias
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone (Greece)
Default Bold 9900 and existing programs

Please Login to Remove!

I have just preordered the 9900 but still wanted to verify that as soon as I received it in the next 7-8 days and switch devices with Desktop Manager my existing software will continue to work normally. Does the new OS restricts current software of Bold 9780?

thanks in advance.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW
Default Re: Bold 9900 and existing programs

Your existing applications and themes might not work on the new device.
The 9900 uses a different OS version than the 9780. The software might not be compatible.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Desktop Manager should be fine. You might need to get the latest version from RIM, but it should work as it did with your previous device.

As for 3rd party software, you will need to contact the developer of each app. As Penguin stated, it is a new device with new hardware and a new OS. My guess is that you will need updates to the OS 6 software to run with OS 7, but it really tough to say.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 08-09-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
Preroll
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Class
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
Desktop Manager should be fine. You might need to get the latest version from RIM, but it should work as it did with your previous device.

As for 3rd party software, you will need to contact the developer of each app. As Penguin stated, it is a new device with new hardware and a new OS. My guess is that you will need updates to the OS 6 software to run with OS 7, but it really tough to say.
Since I'm still on the old 8330, I'm using a really old Desktop Manager (v.4.7). Now I'm sure that version of DM will probably not work with the Bold 9900 series but I wonder if my old database backup files (.IPD) will be read in the newer version of DM so I can transfer my contacts, memo, emails, etc. over to the new device?
Old 08-09-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
Howard S.
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: AT&T

Early adopters are going to have to go through the growing pains of certain apps not working until the developers catch up. As far as the new DM, it should read all your backup files just fine.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:36 AM   #6
Preroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard S. View Post
Early adopters are going to have to go through the growing pains of certain apps not working until the developers catch up. As far as the new DM, it should read all your backup files just fine.
I would think it would but you never know. As for 3rd party apps, I only use two- Google Maps and Shazam. May take some time before I can use those two again on the new device.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #7
Tom
Admin & Founder

Model: 9800
PIN: UnDisclosed
Carrier: Rogers

Seems most of the apps are currently working. Let me know if there is a specific application you need tested to be operational on the 9900.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:50 AM   #8
Garias
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Vodafone (Greece)

Mainly ascendo money and ascendo Datavault...
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 08-10-2011, 09:59 AM   #9
Preroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preroll View Post
I would think it would but you never know. As for 3rd party apps, I only use two- Google Maps and Shazam. May take some time before I can use those two again on the new device.
Just for kicks, I emailed Shazam and they have no idea when it will work on OS7. I guess the OS needs to be out for awhile first. Guess they want to see its popularity before coding a new app.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:34 PM   #10
stevew
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: Koodo Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Seems most of the apps are currently working. Let me know if there is a specific application you need tested to be operational on the 9900.
I'm jealous that you have one Tom...

Previously owned:
At least 17+ different BB's since 1999 -- too many to list...
Old 08-10-2011, 09:00 PM   #11
ZombieBerry
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND

All of the apps I had on my 9780 seem to work. Had a bit of a problem with WeatherEye, but after a quick install it sort of works (sideways on my screen) hope they fix it soonest.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:08 PM   #12
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Vodafone Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preroll View Post
Google Maps and Shazam. May take some time before I can use those two again on the new device.
gmail app, google search, google maps and latitude all working fine out of the box. As for concerns about the DM, if you're on a really old version it updates to version 6.1.0.35. If you're already on 6 it downloads extracts and installs a subset of binaries with the descriptor files for the platform and the new loader.

Pretty much painless, just sit back and let it do its thing. Past backups are recognised fine.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:46 PM   #13
Preroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-economist View Post
gmail app, google search, google maps and latitude all working fine out of the box. As for concerns about the DM, if you're on a really old version it updates to version 6.1.0.35. If you're already on 6 it downloads extracts and installs a subset of binaries with the descriptor files for the platform and the new loader.

Pretty much painless, just sit back and let it do its thing. Past backups are recognised fine.
I would like to see the Advanced tab of DM in v.6.x+ like I posted in another thread so that I can clear the 'Receipient Cache' for old email addresses. I have a feeling that may not be present in this version.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:39 AM   #14
anar_baku
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Vodafone

For me Gmail has been a real annoyance since OS6 was launched and it looks like this hasn't changed with the release of OS7. I can't believe Google and BB still haven't worked together to sort out the bugs with Gmail to make them compatible with OS6/7. This has got to be one of the most popular apps out there given the number of Gmail users and it's shocking that it's not working properly (e.g. one of the most annoying bugs: try the Menu > Search function while in Gmail).

It's for this reason that Gmail doesn't even appear in BlackBerry Appworld when you try to search for it from your OS6/OS7 handset.

One of my biggest annoyances: BB realeased "BlackBerry Feedback Tool" as a small app that would allow for BB users to submit their feedback / issues straight from their handsets. Guess what - this app is not OS7 compliant - and to make matters worse, its developer is BlackBerry. I mean if BlackBerry can't be bothered to make their apps 9900 compatible, it's not surprising that 3rd parties are not either. This is a new handset, you would think that BB would be interested to get a lot of feedback from early adopters - but no, they don't bother to upgrade one chanel that would help facilitate this!
Old 08-23-2011, 02:12 PM   #15
cookie
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Three Ireland

Dropbox and hullomail not working for me despite the fact that dropbox is being reported as compatible in appworld (hullomail is not) I get a white screen when I open dropbox. Sugarsync works fine.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:29 PM   #16
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Vodafone Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by anar_baku View Post
bugs with Gmail to make them compatible with OS6/7. This has got to be one of the most popular apps out there given the number of Gmail users and it's shocking that it's not working properly (e.g. one of the most annoying bugs: try the Menu > Search function while in Gmail)

When i initially pulled the gmail app from Google's mobile site search worked for a while.
I then installed gmaps and latitude/sync. Going back to gmail after that popped up a notification that modules had been updated and a reset was required. Search now does nothing other than displaying a language icon in the top right corner and returns no input form.

The gmail user pool is kinda huge so i expect it to be one of the first things to catch up with os7. Hopefully a matter of time..
Closed Thread