Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 05:49 AM   #1
CurvyGurl
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMobile
Default Asking a ? for a friend

Please Login to Remove!

She's on TMO and has lost her old cell phone. Her old phone doesn't use a SIM card.

She would like to upgrade to a 8100 or 8800, but doesn't want to extend her contract with TMO by ordering a new phone.

Can she purchase a TMO phone and a TMO SIM card and call TMO to activate said phone and SIM card on her account and avoid extending her contract or paying an outrageous amount for a phone? I realize TMO will probably give her a phone for $49.99 but she will have to sign a new 2 yr contract for that.

TIA for your advice!
Old 08-23-2007, 08:14 AM   #2
ollywompus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (7105t: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Just curious how she was using a phone without a sim card? T-mobile is, and at least in the US always has been, a GSM carrier, which requires a sim. So assuming she had a sim at one point, she can call t-mo for a replacement sim without a contract extension, then buy an 8100 from eBay and add the blackberry data plan (also without a contract extension).

Not to argue with your friend here, but she had to have a sim of some kind, even if it was by some chance the old school business card sized one (which is doubtful). T-mo has never operated a TDMA network here in the states, or rben a very old school gsm.

-olly
YIM: seattleolly
Old 08-23-2007, 08:27 AM   #3
CurvyGurl

I don't know. Her old phone didn't have a SIM card. She didn't have a PDA phone, just a plain old phone.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:39 AM   #4
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD

One can go to eBay, buy a used Pearl, which may or may not include a SIM [make sure the phone does not have any unpaid bills].

If the Pearl does not have a SIM, you can get one on eBay for $5.

She can then contact T-Mo and activate the phone, without a contract. In fact, I have always simply inserted the SIM and the phone fired up, without having to contact the carrier.

T-Mo, like all the carriers, have incentives to get her to agree to a contract. Since she will not be getting a new phone for cheap or free, they will try to entice her with special pricing, etc. But she does not have to agree to that.

Most plans offered on T-Mo's site do NOT require a contract, it's the phone for free that kicks in the contract requirement.

That's how I understand things with T-Mo.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 08-23-2007 at 09:41 AM..
Old 08-23-2007, 09:46 AM   #5
SanFrancisco

As an example, I gave an ex-girlfriend one of my old 7100t phones. We simply took the SIM out of her old T-Mo phone, put it in the 7100t and it fired right up. Did not have to contact T-Mo.

Any SIM, including those on eBay for $5, will activate a phone. I have two extra SIMs on my emergency phone shelf. In the event I lose my Pearl, and since I don't have a home land line, I can insert one of those SIMs into a 7100t and be back on the air, so to speak.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:49 AM   #6
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurvyGurl View Post
I don't know. Her old phone didn't have a SIM card. She didn't have a PDA phone, just a plain old phone.
When my ex-girlfriend and I were discussing giving her a 7100t, she swore that her phone [which looked like about a year 2000 phone. It was monochrome, etc.] did not have a SIM card.

When I got over her place I took out the battery and there was the SIM slot and SIM card. From the outside, however, the phone did not look like it could have had a SIM, but it did.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:50 AM   #7
CurvyGurl

I've asked her what model her old phone was. Maybe she didn't realize it comes with a SIM. Then she can ask for a replacement and procure a phone from another source and all will be hunky dory.

If it is an older model likely obselete phone, could she still order a SIM from TMobile and use a phone bought from another source?
Old 08-23-2007, 09:54 AM   #8
CurvyGurl

Every time I have purchased a phone with TMO it has extended my contract. I'm trying to avoid that with the Curve but I don't want to pay $300 for a phone I can get for $199 at some point.

I've sent her your useful information, thanks much!
Old 08-23-2007, 10:31 AM   #9
CurvyGurl

I'm a dork. her phone is lost... that's why she doesn't have a SIM card to slap into a new phone. DUH.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:39 AM   #10
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Purchase a TMobile branded phone from anywhere you like, call TMo for a replacement sim card. You can also purchase an unlocked phone from another carrier, as well.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:48 AM   #11
SanFrancisco

Quote:
I've asked her what model her old phone was. Maybe she didn't realize it comes with a SIM. Then she can ask for a replacement and procure a phone from another source and all will be hunky dory.

If it is an older model likely obselete phone, could she still order a SIM from TMobile and use a phone bought from another source?
If she gets a phone from T-Mo they will try to sell it to her at a discount and require a contract extension. But they also sell them for retail at T-Mo too. But better way to go is almost new on eBay [make sure they have high feedbacks, a 99.5 rating or above and that there are no unpaid bills attached to the phone].

Or she can just buy a low end phone from T-Mo for full retail. Any phone from T-Mo typically comes with a SIM since she has an account. With a lost SIM I believe she just needs to disclose that and they will replace it.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:50 AM   #12
soulmirror

Model: 8700g
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Yeah, if she's on a monthly plan, they should be able to send her a replacement SIM at little/no cost Then you can purchase an unlocked phone anywhere. I went from a RAZR V3 (still on contract till Feb 08) to an 8700g that I bought through a forum sale. Once you get the replacement SIM, you should be able to put it in any unlocked GSM or T-Mo branded phone.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:10 PM   #13
CurvyGurl

Good to know! thanks so much!
Old 08-23-2007, 12:17 PM   #14
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Good to know! thanks so much!
If she goes through T-Mo tell her to be very careful. T-Mo is not shifty, but they are like any other carrier. Mistakes in communication can occur.

Tell her to make sure she is paying retail for the phone, NOT at a discount.

When and if she gets a phone from T-Mo, tell her to check the invoice to make sure she paid retail and that the contract was NOT extended.

The sales reps are supposed to clarify with a canned speech that one has agreed to extend their contract in return for a discounted phone. But there's always a chance she will get a new or aggressive sales rep who will negligently or intentionally sell the phone at a discount and extend her contract. I have never had a T-Mo rep forget the canned speech, but there's always a first time.
Closed Thread