BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 01:02 PM   #1
delphichelix

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: tmobile
Default Getting an unlocked ATT 8310 to work on T-Mobile, when it says emergency calls only

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,

I'm new here, and probably won't post much but I wanted to post a solution to a problem I struggled with recently (yeah right, more like drove me absolutely nuts, and made tear my hair out in frustration).

I purchased an unlocked ATT Blackberry off of Craigslist to use on T-Mobile.

Sim card worked fine. Right under ATT it said T-mobile. Everything seemed fine until I attempted to make a call.

"Sorry emergency calls only"

I googled. The internet in it's wisdom, told me that this was happening because my sim card wasn't registered with T-Mobile. I called T-Mobile.

1 hour later, after giving T-Mobile tech support, the new IMEI, them entering it. The Sim card number, them entering it, a master reset (wipe) and a host route table refresh, the phone still wasn't able to dial out. They said I should call Blackberry, because you know it's ATT's phone and not their problem.

I was finally after way more frustration able to find someone online who suggested that the problem was the IT policy. I didn't know what an IT policy was, and had no clue what BES even meant. BES means Blackberry Enterprise Service, I think.

The solution, to getting a phone, or more specifically in my case an unlocked ATT Blackberry 8310 to work on T-Mobile's network is to reset IT policy to to factory default.

You use JL_cmder to do this.

1. First download JL_cmder. Here is the thread about JL_cmderhttp://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...-jl_cmder.html

To get the file, JL_cmder 1.9.1 you need to register here with these find BB folks. They seem cool.

There are some basic assumptions the guy makes about you the user of said JL_cmder.
1. You remember what a dos prompt is.
2. You know how to use one.
3. You know to install a javascript batch thingy in Windows Vista.

In my case, these assumptions were way not accurate. Downloading is the easy part.

The hard part is how to use it to fix your problem, when you have no clue.

2. After you extract the file, to install JL_cmder 1.9.1 in Windows Vista, right click and select run as administrator.

The installer it's going to install it in about 5 nanoseconds and you're going to see a glimpse of an old school, dos prompt window thingy.

So now it's installed. Where the heck did it go?

It went here: c:\program files (x86)\JL_cmder

So now you need an old dox prompt, which is different than DOSbox, which my brother uses to play ridiculous old games like Fallout.

Click the start button, and in the search box at the bottom, type cmd. The search box used to be called Run. Makes sense you would use a cmd window for something called JL_cmder to fix your emergency calls only problem.

So now you have a dos prompt, something lots of people haven't seen since 1998.

4. type cd c:\program files (x86)\JL_cmder

5. now type javaloader

all the commands and instructions on how to use it, will come up.

the one's we need are -u (which means usb connected device) and resettofactory (which erases the bullshit ATT IT policy thingy which has really made your day suck.)

6. so now that you have JL_cmder, and it's installed, and you're in the correct directory and are ready to use it,

Type javaloader -u resettofactory

7. what happens next is you type in your device password.
Then it says connected.. for 2 seconds, then it says disconnected.

8. the phone turns off, reboots, hourglass spins for a minute or two, it wipes the phone, turns off again, then turns back on. And finally... finally.

Your phone actually works. You now have a blank IT policy, and your unlocked ATT Blackberry 8310 will now work on T-Mobile and be able to place and recieve calls without the Emergency calls only problem.

so now the next thing is getting rid of the att stuff. I think they're called service books, but right now I'm just glad I can dial out, and sms. I'm going to worry about the dataplan stuff later.

ciao folks,

Abby
Old 11-27-2009, 02:24 PM   #2
noxignis

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: tmobile

im having the same problem but when i run javaloader it restarts the phone and i still have the same problem.. not sure what else to do but throw the phone at someone or something..
Closed Thread