Old 06-02-2010, 01:56 AM   #41
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobin10 View Post
It would only make sense for Blackberry to move on as a tablet producer.

I mean what else are palm systems anyway ?

That said they do seem to be taking a fair bit of time doing it. I'm really surprised Apple have been allowed such a head start in the market without any real competition. Especially from companies like Blackberry that could have easily been ready with something to compete against the iPad.
RIM can't even compete against the iphone that has been out for 3 years. RIM hasn't a snowballs chance in hell at even getting close to Apple in the tablet market. Only Google has the smarts and drive to do that.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:23 PM   #42
jnyost
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
RIM can't even compete against the iphone that has been out for 3 years. RIM hasn't a snowballs chance in hell at even getting close to Apple in the tablet market. Only Google has the smarts and drive to do that.
You're kidding right? If you're talking about a toy, yes, then RIM doesn't compete. If you're talking about a real functional business device and PIM, RIM kills the iPhone.

Will RIM make a tablet? I don't know, but I doubt it. I don't see what their reason would be for it. RIM doesn't make laptops so why would they want to make a tablet?
Old 06-04-2010, 02:25 PM   #43
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyost View Post
You're kidding right? If you're talking about a toy, yes, then RIM doesn't compete. If you're talking about a real functional business device and PIM, RIM kills the iPhone.
Toy, you make me laugh. BB does some aspects of mail better and it has better battery life, that's it. The iphone beats it on just about everything else. And for the record I use both a BB and an iphone.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:32 PM   #44
jnyost

Quote:
Toy, you make me laugh. BB does some aspects of mail better and it has better battery life, that's it. The iphone beats it on just about everything else. And for the record I use both a BB and an iphone.
Tasks, notes/memos, email, etc. The BB easily beats the iPhone in everything but media. The iPhone is an iPod with a cell radio. It's a media device and that's it. I have an iTouch if I decide I want to listen to media, but I never use it because my BB does everything I need it to.

Yes, it is just a toy and can't even come close to being a business device. It's just a consumer device. If it was a business device you'd see it passed out by corporations. In my extensive travels you only see the iPhone in the hands of consumers. In IT we have what we call power users. Those are owners who are efficient in how they operate, push their devices to the max, etc. We don't see those users with iPhones. We see people, like my wife and brother, with iPhones. They like to browse the web and listen to music, buy my coworkers use BBs because we need more out of our device. The iPhone email, syncing, and PIM sucks bad.

If the iPhone really beat the BB you'd get rid of it and modify your sig so it doesn't show how you go back to the BB.

Yes, I've tried the iPhone but returned it. It doesn't do anything my iTouch doesn't, which is much less than my BB. I've also tried the Droid, which I tried really hard to like, but it just lacks too much also. I think you'll see more and more people going to the Androids and leaving the iPhone. That's proof in that you can't find the new Incredible anywhere. It's rated above every phone, including the iPhone, on every site I've seen. I'll probably give the Incredible a chance and see if they've improved the OS yet. I have a lot of faith in Google.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:34 AM   #45
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Tasks, notes/memos, email, etc. The BB easily beats the iPhone in everything but media.
Yes, it is just a toy and can't even come close to being a business device. It's just a consumer device. If it was a business device you'd see it passed out by corporations. In my extensive travels you only see the iPhone in the hands of consumers.
Does the BB do Exchange out of the box. No it requires additional RIM software that has to be installed and maintained on the Exchange server to work. Does the BB do any Active Sync out of the box. Again no, the Active Sync solution I've seen for the BB requires a yearly fee. A yearly fee? Ridiculous!

As to your statement that the iphone is not suitable to business, here is a article in PC World to the contrary
iPhone OS 4.0 Makes iPhone a Business Contender - PCWorld Business Center

Here is the President of IT at SanDisk talking about the iphone
The iPhone As Business Tool - Forbes.com

Here is another
More growth seen for iPhone in business

So you're wrong, not a toy, but a powerful handheld computer, that can play in both the consumer market and the business community.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:41 PM   #46
theproto

Model: 9650

Quote:
Does the BB do Exchange out of the box. No it requires additional RIM software that has to be installed and maintained on the Exchange server to work. Does the BB do any Active Sync out of the box. Again no, the Active Sync solution I've seen for the BB requires a yearly fee. A yearly fee? Ridiculous!
I am going to make one single post in this topic, I will attempt to not come across in a condescending manner and I will keep this short.

BES (or BESX), the "RIM software" you speak of is the strength of the BlackBerry for enterprises, large, medium and some small businesses (law firms, etc.) alike.

I am a BES/Exchange admin for a fortune 500 company administering a highly available environment of over 4000 BlackBerry devices. Do we allow ActiveSync connectivity? No.

For small business ActiveSync is "great" and "free" (notice the quotes on free).

I really don't feel like getting into an argument here and will just stop at this:

If you don't see why IT departments insist on the BlackBerry Enterprise Solution to ensure the security, functionality, productivity, supportability and availability of the solutions they provide their business units than its not worth me typing this up. Just keep thinking like a consumer and I'm sure you'll do just fine with an iPhone.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:18 PM   #47
jnyost

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproto View Post
If you don't see why IT departments insist on the BlackBerry Enterprise Solution to ensure the security, functionality, productivity, supportability and availability of the solutions they provide their business units than its not worth me typing this up. Just keep thinking like a consumer and I'm sure you'll do just fine with an iPhone.
Well said.

An iPhone is not a business device. Period. It's a toy that some try to use as a business device. It can't keep up with a true power user and is missing MANY security features required by large corporations.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:05 AM   #48
dane_c1987
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

I can't see any smartphone manafacturer venturing into Tablet PC's. It's a completely seperate industry - Apple only released the iPad because the specialize - and started in - computers. It just so happens that they ventured into the smartphone category and succeeded.

RIM, Nokia, Samsung etc. are all mobile phone manafacturers. They'd be silly to enter into the tablet PC fray just to try and outdo the iPad.

Let Apple have this one!
Old 06-21-2010, 12:45 PM   #49
svanelet

Model: 9000

Apple markets better, so nothing else can really compare. If RIM were to make a tablet, even if it had more features I still think iPad would sell better.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:13 PM   #50
jnyost

Quote:
Originally Posted by svanelet View Post
Apple markets better, so nothing else can really compare. If RIM were to make a tablet, even if it had more features I still think iPad would sell better.
It would depend on it's intended market. Apple markets because it's a consumer device. If BB were to make a tablet that was business oriented like it's smart phones, it would probably sell better. At my company I could see them giving them to all of our sales and field service engineers.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:35 PM   #51
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
It would depend on it's intended market. Apple markets because it's a consumer device. If BB were to make a tablet that was business oriented like it's smart phones, it would probably sell better. At my company I could see them giving them to all of our sales and field service engineers.
I think BB would have to make one smaller like an organizer if they want to market to business customers. It also needs to attach wirelessly to your laptop and have the ability of running company software.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #52
TonyEye

Model: NoMas
Carrier: NOT AT&T

Quote:
...but a powerful handheld computer, that can play in both the consumer market and the business community.
Now THAT'S rich.

I'd love to see the the one-touch wonder keep up with BB when it comes to REAL business applications, not the ones that snot-nosed first years think they need to be productive.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:23 AM   #53
dane_c1987

Model: 8520
Carrier: T-Mobile

All the proper businessy guys with their wear nice suits and BMW's at my workplace all use iPhones. It's a successful business so I assume the iPhone is capable of handling one or two REAL business applications. I'm just saying.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:23 PM   #54
Joshiyama
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Default Analyst: Blackberry tablet has 1GHz chip, cameras

Article on CNET projecting specs of the Tablet.
Analyst: Blackberry tablet has 1GHz chip, cameras | Nanotech - The Circuits Blog - CNET News
Old 07-09-2010, 08:41 PM   #55
Imcrackedout

Model: 9700
Carrier: Telus

I really hope RIM doesn't waste valuable resources on a silly gimmik like a Tablet. Is there really a need for it? I don't see it aside from the silly Apple sheeple needing one. Where does one use the Tablet? On the run, or on the commuter train?, in an office next to your nice laptop or pc? In the home next to your nice laptop or PC?
Where does one carry this rather large contraption? Personally, I would rather have a small smartphone and an ipod touch or equivalent, it could fit in a pocket or small purse.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:26 AM   #56
fseoer2010

Model: 7100T
Carrier: no

This is a phenomenal idea. I am a current Blackberry user and have been for over 2 years.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:33 AM   #57
jimn367
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

I would prefer the ability to synch my calendar and contacts with an ipod touch or ipad. Have you seen the ipad version of pocket informant? Sweet! It would also be really cool if I could interact with my BB e-mail on the ipad, not necessarily store it locally.

I was one of the few that thought there was a good concept in some of the Palm Foleo ideas. Where Palm [and Celio] blew it was requiring the device to tether to the phone to be functional. I think a portal into the device to the BB to read/write/edit e-mail.

I have done some of the screen repeaters on my PC, but you get the BB resolution scaled out, which is of little value.

In fact my nirvana would really just be a USB or bluetooth connection to the phone from an app on my PC that gave me gmail and google docs functionality without storing any data locally on the PC...
Old 07-27-2010, 02:09 PM   #58
jimn367
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

I meant to say gmail or google docs 'like' capability
Old 07-30-2010, 02:07 PM   #59
Quincy

Carrier: Rogers
Default blackpad.com domain name

There was an article.. (I can post the link to it since my post count is too low..) saying that RIM purchased the domain .blackpad.com. Interesting...!
Closed Thread