BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 01:01 PM   #1
dynamiks
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Extremely annoyed with my 8320 right now!

Please Login to Remove!

I just got my 8320 yesterday and I was loving every bit of it till just now.

I woke up this morning after charging my 8320 most of the night yesterday, at least 4 hours, and it is already on 15% battery life when I woke up!!

Then to top it off my blackberry keeps freezing and getting the hour glass!! So i took the battery out, and what do I see?! The little label on the bottom that says if its been water damaged or not is PINK.

I know for a fact I didn't get it wet, I haven't even carried my blackberry more than 5 feet away from my computer desk. All I been doing was charging it, loading apps, and testing it all day.

What I want to know is the little sticker on the bottom of your batteries white? with the pink X's? Because mine is definitely all pink, with pink X's... indicating it must have been water damaged some how.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:10 PM   #2
spblat
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: T-Mo

My battery label is pinkish, with bright pink x's. No battery problems since I got it 24 hours ago.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:16 PM   #3
dynamiks

Quote:
Originally Posted by spblat View Post
My battery label is pinkish, with bright pink x's. No battery problems since I got it 24 hours ago.
How long have you used it out of that 24hrs? and how much battery life do you have left?

I didn't even get to make any phone calls yet, and my phone went all the way from 100% to 15% overnight... this is just on web use, chatting, and going thru basic functions like address book and stuff.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:19 PM   #4
spblat

Wait a minute. I think this is the water damage indicator. Not sure what those X's are.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:23 PM   #5
spblat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamiks View Post
How long have you used it out of that 24hrs? and how much battery life do you have left?

I didn't even get to make any phone calls yet, and my phone went all the way from 100% to 15% overnight... this is just on web use, chatting, and going thru basic functions like address book and stuff.
Too soon to tell. What you describe sounds bad, and what I've been experiencing has been consistent with past BB battery performance. I've been using my 8320 nonstop since I got it. I've had it charging a lot too, transferring videos and stuff to it. And I charged it overnight. After 4 hours of reasonably intense use (and wifi on) it's still at around 95%.

Sorry you're having trouble. I think you've gotta go to T-Mo.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:25 PM   #6
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:

It sounds like you have an application running that is in constant contact with the Internet. Do you have any IM clients running? GPS based mapping, etc. You need to close these programs when not in use or they will eat your battery.

To the OP.... It doesn't sound like the charger was working...did you see the indicator showing as charging?

*edit* the photo does correctly identify the Water Damage Indicator. The Red X's on the battery are not for that purpose. If a CS rep trys to tell you the battery X's are water damage ask for the manager...

E-

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs

Last edited by Thatzmister2u; 09-26-2007 at 01:28 PM..
Old 09-26-2007, 01:34 PM   #7
dynamiks

Well the device and the battery both have water damage indicators... my battery is pink. I used to be a tech @ Verizon wireless and the pink indicator always meant water damage.

And you having 95% after 4hours of continuous use definitely means my is defective.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:41 PM   #8
dynamiks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatzmister2u View Post
It sounds like you have an application running that is in constant contact with the Internet. Do you have any IM clients running? GPS based mapping, etc. You need to close these programs when not in use or they will eat your battery.

To the OP.... It doesn't sound like the charger was working...did you see the indicator showing as charging?

*edit* the photo does correctly identify the Water Damage Indicator. The Red X's on the battery are not for that purpose. If a CS rep trys to tell you the battery X's are water damage ask for the manager...

E-
I had jivetalk running, but even with that running, I don't see how the battery will drain that fast... that is crazy. I had wifi on for maybe half the time, but I dunno... i hear the curve has some crazy battery life, and this doesnt sound right. Less than 24hr and my phone is on 15% without even making any phone calls besides setting up voicemail?
Old 09-26-2007, 01:48 PM   #9
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Well the device and the battery both have water damage indicators... my battery is pink. I used to be a tech @ Verizon wireless and the pink indicator always meant water damage.

And you having 95% after 4hours of continuous use definitely means my is defective.
Just passing along information that has been shared on the boards. You can obviously attest to the fact that the "Liquid Indicators" on the battery have changed with no exposure to liquid. But hey if you were a tech and say it means water damage then I guess that's what it means....

And the math says 85% not 95.

Last edited by Thatzmister2u; 09-26-2007 at 01:49 PM..
Old 09-26-2007, 01:52 PM   #10
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
I had jivetalk running, but even with that running, I don't see how the battery will drain that fast... that is crazy. I had wifi on for maybe half the time, but I dunno... i hear the curve has some crazy battery life, and this doesnt sound right. Less than 24hr and my phone is on 15% without even making any phone calls besides setting up voicemail?
Jivetalk is constantly communicating with the Internet which means the phone is in full broadcast mode using the signal to maintain the connection. I do not think it's unusual to flatten the battery after hours of connectivity to the internet.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:09 PM   #11
dynamiks

you can you charge the phone with the USB cable connected to the PC right?
Old 09-26-2007, 02:09 PM   #12
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

^^Correct. The picture above points to the water damage indicator sticker. The red XXXs on the battery have nothing to do with it. If they tell you the red XXXs is water damage, get one of their brand new in the box units and show them the battery XXXs.

Here's some good reading for you as well about the batteries.
Maximum Battery Life - BlackBerryFAQ
Running apps such as WiFi and JiveTalk or an active browser page can certainly run a battery down overnight to 15%. Follow good charging practices and you should be fine.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:10 PM   #13
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
you can you charge the phone with the USB cable connected to the PC right?
Yes, if the Desktop Manager software is loaded to the PC, yes.
get the latest version here, not what came on your CD.
BlackBerry Desktop Manager Downloads - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 09-26-2007, 04:37 PM   #14
dwc

Carrier: tmob

My phone (8100) charges off USB cable with desktop manager turned off. I do not think that desktop manager is a requirement for USB phone charging.

EDIT:

It also charges off my wife's laptop via usb and she does not have desktop manager installed.

Last edited by dwc; 09-26-2007 at 04:39 PM..
Old 09-26-2007, 05:04 PM   #15
quattrocs
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: TB
PIN: you want it, then ask

desktop manager does not need to be running, however it does need to be installed for the phone to be properly installed thru usb, otherwise the phone will not charge

Thanks
Pedro
Old 09-26-2007, 05:06 PM   #16
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Pedro is correct, having the DM installed also installs the device drivers needed to power the USB connection sufficiently to charge your battery.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:17 PM   #17
frseattle
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: TOUR

a good test is to disengage the WiFi connection and see how long your full charge will hold on EDGE only connection. As a comparison, I start my day at 6 am (disconnect from charger) and at 10pm (when I connect to charger), I have between 80% to 85% left. And I am use my Curve alot throughout the day!
Old 09-26-2007, 08:39 PM   #18
dietcoke

Model: dCoke
Carrier: o2

I have been using my 8320 since 6 am this morning. I have made about 10 calls and recieved about 10. Muliple emails, connected to bluetooth speakerphone. It is 9:39pm and i have 65% remaining. My 8800 would be at 40 percent by now.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:09 PM   #19
John Clark
BBF Moderator

PIN: s & needles

FWIW, I agree with JSanders. The stickers on the batteries are NOT moisture indicators. I pulled a sticker off a brand new battery and soaked it with water. It didn't change. Nobody has been able to find out exactly what it is.

Also, for example, when you warranty a device with TMo they typically send you a new device less the battery (and sometimes even the battery door) so they don't even want your battery. The moisture indicator is located as illustrated in the picture above. There may be more inside the device but not on the battery.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:04 PM   #20
dwc

Carrier: tmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Pedro is correct, having the DM installed also installs the device drivers needed to power the USB connection sufficiently to charge your battery.
So the "two prong plug" icon showing on the phone is not an indicator that it is charging?
Closed Thread