BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 12:23 PM   #21
metrodon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: voda

Please Login to Remove!

Actually for me they are both too big, but i want a qwerty keyboard so i'll live with it.

The build quality of the 8800 is an issue though. the nokia E61 (don't know about the E61i yet) feels very well made.

I think the lack of compelling reasons that a BB community like this has come up with for sticking with the platform is pretty indicative.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:48 PM   #22
ghostrida
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Cingular

I sold my E61 to buy my 8800. the two are like night and day. I will most likely never buy another nokia handset i was so disappointed with the OS. It was buggy and slow. The e-mail was incredibly buggy. Exchange sync had issues IMAP had issues. I have had no issues with my 8800, that is the key.

The thing that bugged me the most was you cannot change the font size in the e-mail view window, and the font size happened to be like 16pt so you could maybe have three sentences fit on the page, plus it couldn't handle line breaks at all.

do yourself a favor and avoid it or at least know someone who has it and try it first. otherwise 8800 all the way.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:16 PM   #23
Hong

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Unhappy Disappointed with the multimedia capability

Do you know when the next update for 8800 is out? I am very disappointed with its current multimedia performance.

I have been using a Nokia E61 and I am really enjoying the experience of having an "all in one" device. I could check e-mails through BlackBerry connect. Listening to music files in eACC+ format (the size is about one third of MP3 format so I can store 200+ music files in a 2GB miniSD and still have room for video files) and watch video (files as long as almost 2 hours). Not to mention the voice experience is always great on a Nokia phone.

I mentioned all these things about the E61 so you have an idea on how I am using the device. Now, let's me share my experience when I tried to do the same with the 8800.

i) Audio. The audio is pretty good on the 8800. I wish there were equalizer controls. There was one strange experience which I think is a bug. I copied the eACC+ files I created using the Nokia software to the 8800's device memory (the memory space came with the device). The files played well. When I copied the same files to the media card memory, it gave me this error "The media being played is of an unsupported format". I thought the files were corrupted during the copy. However, when I copied these same files back to the device memory, they played fine. Why is there a difference on where (device memory vs media card) I put the files? Copying files caused another bad experience. I can only copy files one at a time. Also, when a file is copied into one folder (video, music or ring tune), I cannot move that file from one folder to another (ring tone folder to music folder). When I stored my music in several subfolders, I can only play music one subfolder at a time. It does not look like the BlackBerry has a real file manager (unlike Symbian or Windows Mobile). Each individual program is doing its own file handling routes instead of passing the requests to a central file manager to process. I guess third party applications also use their own ways to handle files.
ii) Video. Not able to play full screen means you cannot enjoy the full experience playing your home video on this BlackBerry unless they are recorded in 16x9 format. I am under the impression this BlackBerry has a faster processor and the video experience should be excellent... you would think. After 2 to 4 minutes of playing a video, I started to notice pauses and stutters on the playback. The video and audio would be out of synch for about 5 seconds. I did a test by playing the same video on both E61 and 8800. The video started first on the 8800. However, after about 8 minutes of playing and several pauses on the 8800 side, the Nokia E61, which is playing in normal speed, is actually ahead of the 8800. The video streaming seems like a problem. I guess the BlackBerry is like the old MSDOS on multi-tasking capability.

I also hate where they put the voice command button. You can easily hit it by accident. Hey, at least the 8800's bluetooth works well with my BMW, no complaint there.

If you have a 8700, stay with it. For multimedia experience, I will stay with my Nokia E61. Of course, you can wait for the E61i or the iPhone. Buy the 8800 only when it is less than $100.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:13 AM   #24
alphasports
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers (CAN) / A1 (AUT) / Swisscom (SUI) / T-Mobile (USA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
I have an E61. WiFi is great. Symbian OS is painfully slow. Menus just aren't as well designed as on the BB - maybe the BB is just simpler to use.

I found the E61 way too slow to use. Sitting in the box of unloved toys under my desk.
Agreed. I loved the Nokia browser, very slick. WiFi was pretty good as well. OS is WAY too slow, and unnecessarily complicated. On/Off button is right next to earlobe so has a tendency to shut off in the middle of calls if you move the phone around. I ended up smashing the phone on the sidewalk in a rage when it turned off in the middle of a critical call!!! Went back to an 8700, then recently got a Pearl. Lovin' BB's simplicity & speed. Will look at 8300 but definitely not 8800.

I'm a smartphone freak so I rush way too soon to buy the latest & greatest. My Nokia experience taught me to cool my heels and give new products time to mature before wasting good $$$ on them. Of course, in the smartphone bizz, "mature" means "obsolete", so who knows.

Stick with what works, for me that's BB.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:18 PM   #25
antvega

Model: 7130c
Carrier: T-mobile

Keep in mind that you are comparing apple to oranges here..not exactly a fair comparison but just something to think about. With that said, having used an unlocked e61 and a Cingular e62, these are very much two different phones. And having used other E series devices and N series devices, you have to expect different aspects and features of the two platforms (BB and Symbian)

The Cingular customizations on the e62 totally made it a terrible phone. Lack of WiFi, the added software they put on it, and those silly internet proxies they use made the device feel like a turtle. Granted the e61 was no speed demon, but using exchange mail never felt like I had 9 programs open at once. On the e62 everything took forever. Hardware aside (they were basically the same really) it had to be the Cingular tweaks. But for what its worth, the e61 and the e61i can run circles around any blackberry as far as multimedia is concerned. There a more 3rd party apps you can get to add any number of features to a symbian handset...for some thats worth it alone. Add that to the fact that you can add BB Connect or Exchange Mail for true push mail and I think you have a worthy BB competitor. But if you want simplicity and ease of use then you should (re)consider the BB.

The newer devices have some multimedia fucntionality (some would say excellent, but again, thats debatable) and work just as well, phone wise, to any Nokia or Moto headset out there right now. In fact the 8800 rivals the V6 Maxx, a phone I consider to be one of the best sounding headsets out there right now. But what I like best about the BB and why I probably won't (even though a store in NYC is already selling the e61i) get an e61i is the little things the BB does.

The holster sleeper function is a god send. It's one of the things I like best about the BB. You get a message, pull of out of its holster and the message is open and waiting to be read. Read and respond and holster away and you are good to go again. No fumbling with opening the messaging app and going to that message, then responding then keylocking the phone and then putting it back. That may seem silly to some but its that type of thing that makes being in meetings and walking in street that much easier to do.

Pin messages, email that works with out much intervention from me. When I respond to something, be it PIN, email, SMS, whatever I don't even check to see if it went through because I know it will. On my 8525 I had to double check everytime I sent out email. On my m600i same, N80 same, e70 same...you get the point.

Profiles that let me change the notification for anything that comes across the BB, I know other phones do that as well but not as well as the BB. BB messenger, the crappy OZ IM client, but at least it comes with it. BB Maps, and any other specific BB app that add loads to an already easy to use device.

Would I get an e61i? Probably, in fact I'm sure I will (although I really shouldn't). Will I regret it and go back to one of the many BB's I own, probably yes. The e61i brings with it a whole different set of features that I wish were on my BB. WiFi, the excellent Nokia browser, the camera, and the more robust app support and multimedia support. But everything takes at least 2 more steps to complete on S60 then it does on the BB and for that alone I think I'll stick with my 8800.

I hope this was a coherent lucid post that somewhat helped....I think I just sorta started rambling...but it happens.

Last edited by antvega; 04-15-2007 at 12:26 PM..
Old 04-15-2007, 03:05 PM   #26
cdd543
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by antvega View Post
Keep in mind that you are comparing apple to oranges here..not exactly a fair comparison but just something to think about. With that said, having used an unlocked e61 and a Cingular e62, these are very much two different phones. And having used other E series devices and N series devices, you have to expect different aspects and features of the two platforms (BB and Symbian)

The Cingular customizations on the e62 totally made it a terrible phone. Lack of WiFi, the added software they put on it, and those silly internet proxies they use made the device feel like a turtle. Granted the e61 was no speed demon, but using exchange mail never felt like I had 9 programs open at once. On the e62 everything took forever. Hardware aside (they were basically the same really) it had to be the Cingular tweaks. But for what its worth, the e61 and the e61i can run circles around any blackberry as far as multimedia is concerned. There a more 3rd party apps you can get to add any number of features to a symbian handset...for some thats worth it alone. Add that to the fact that you can add BB Connect or Exchange Mail for true push mail and I think you have a worthy BB competitor. But if you want simplicity and ease of use then you should (re)consider the BB.

The newer devices have some multimedia fucntionality (some would say excellent, but again, thats debatable) and work just as well, phone wise, to any Nokia or Moto headset out there right now. In fact the 8800 rivals the V6 Maxx, a phone I consider to be one of the best sounding headsets out there right now. But what I like best about the BB and why I probably won't (even though a store in NYC is already selling the e61i) get an e61i is the little things the BB does.

The holster sleeper function is a god send. It's one of the things I like best about the BB. You get a message, pull of out of its holster and the message is open and waiting to be read. Read and respond and holster away and you are good to go again. No fumbling with opening the messaging app and going to that message, then responding then keylocking the phone and then putting it back. That may seem silly to some but its that type of thing that makes being in meetings and walking in street that much easier to do.

Pin messages, email that works with out much intervention from me. When I respond to something, be it PIN, email, SMS, whatever I don't even check to see if it went through because I know it will. On my 8525 I had to double check everytime I sent out email. On my m600i same, N80 same, e70 same...you get the point.

Profiles that let me change the notification for anything that comes across the BB, I know other phones do that as well but not as well as the BB. BB messenger, the crappy OZ IM client, but at least it comes with it. BB Maps, and any other specific BB app that add loads to an already easy to use device.

Would I get an e61i? Probably, in fact I'm sure I will (although I really shouldn't). Will I regret it and go back to one of the many BB's I own, probably yes. The e61i brings with it a whole different set of features that I wish were on my BB. WiFi, the excellent Nokia browser, the camera, and the more robust app support and multimedia support. But everything takes at least 2 more steps to complete on S60 then it does on the BB and for that alone I think I'll stick with my 8800.

I hope this was a coherent lucid post that somewhat helped....I think I just sorta started rambling...but it happens.
That was well said. It only takes me a couple weeks to come back from windows mobile..by then my pop email has stopped working properly or my device is seizing up. I have been tempted many times by e61, and would be more tempted by the e61i to at least try it if it had US 3G.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:26 PM   #27
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

I am a firm believer that anyone who leaves Blackberry for another device, like a Nokia, did not really need a Blackberry to begin with.

I can not imagine handling the email I do on the Nokia!

If you want to play games and be entertained, the Blackberry was a poor choice.

Last edited by greggebhardt; 04-15-2007 at 03:27 PM..
Old 04-19-2007, 11:33 PM   #28
ntegrt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Hate to beat a dead horse here but I agree with Greg, and, if for no other reason, speed alone will most likely be the clencher. I had the e62, loved it EXCEPT it was sooooo slow. If the e61i is going to be in the same boat, it would be a deal killer for me. But, like most have already said, each persons needs are different so it all comes back to you.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:56 PM   #29
GMCloud27

Model: 9000
PIN: 21997C19
Carrier: AT&T Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by antvega View Post
The exact main reason why I switched to BB. On WM5 & 6, the reliability thought of knowing your e-mail is sent just wasn't there and on a Symbian OS, I also felt the same way you did.

The BB OS may be "dumbed down" for the IT guys out there or may not do all the things one wants but it does the major jobs and does them well. It took me a long time to rid myself of my most previous phone, the 8525 because of all the power and features it had but it came down to what it is suppose to do, and that is function reliably.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:27 PM   #30
I8UB4
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

[QUOTE=antvega;510282] Pin messages, email that works with out much intervention from me. When I respond to something, be it PIN, email, SMS, whatever I don't even check to see if it went through because I know it will. On my 8525 I had to double check everytime I sent out email. On my m600i same, N80 same, e70 same...you get the point.

Amen.

I had a Nokia E70 and the email was so unreliable that I gave it up. The Symbian software is so buggy that I was constantly having to turn the phone off and on again to reboot. I was constantly missing emails and wouldn't know until somebody would ask me if I got their email. I would reboot the phone and the email would come through.

There is no comparrison between BB email and all the Symbian and Windows smartphones. No comparrison. If you don't care about email or just use it occasionally, get whatever brand of phone you want. If email is essential, then get the BB.

Now, at least, BB is putting basic multimedia functions on their phones, so I can listen to music, watch videos, etc. It's not as good as some phones, but it's still decent and I have my email reliability, which is the most important thing to me.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:03 AM   #31
metrodon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: voda

Well, i took the plunge and went for the Nokia, not the best decision i've ever made in my life.

It's big, really wide, very noticeable when you are using it as a phone, it's also heavy and so generally uncomfortable to use.

I didn't find that the OS was particularly slow, i did find that the number of clicks to actually do anything was ridiculously high.

Email worked well using Voda's version of BIS and support for sending from multiple accounts was nice as Voda don't currently offer this in the UK.

multi-media was always a bonus for me rather than an essential and in 2 weeks i've taken a couple of snaps but that's really it.

Yesterday was D-Day, the last day of my 2 week trial period before i could send it back to Voda if i wanted to....and....

I have a new 8800 arriving today, i just couldn't get on with the Nokia. The clumsiness of it's physical design, the clunkiness of the OS - in the end it was driving me mad. in fact yesterday i charged up my old 8700 and went back to it even though it would only be for 24 hours.

The blackberry forums KNOW - i should have listened
Old 06-11-2007, 05:35 PM   #32
mmorgan1865

PIN: N/A
Default 8800 Bluetooth mp3

How do I get the 8800 to play mp3 files through Motorola Bluetooth headset instead of the unit speaker? I am using the Berry Tunes program and the headset is paired with the Blackberry. The phone function works through the headset but not the music.
Thanks
Old 06-12-2007, 12:38 AM   #33
Dr. Jerry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Nokia just makes much better phones. The new E90 Communicator kicks the piss out of any phone I have ever seen. It has everything under the sun except for a coffee maker. I have an 8800c and it is like putting a POP TART up against my face!!
Cingular 8800
Closed Thread