Old 12-29-2009, 06:57 AM   #21
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahzadk007 View Post
Guys then tell me if Blackberry is not using POP3 to get the emails from email server then which technology does it use?
Yahoo Mail has specialized integration with BIS. It does not use POP or IMAP.
GMail has similar integration with BIS as well.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:40 PM   #22
shahzadk007
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Ufone

Though I personally haven't configured Yahoo on any of the users' BB Device. Yet my senior either upgrades users' yahoo free account to Yahoo plus ($20 /year) or simply apologizes if the user can't pay for Yahoo plus.
I had a long conversation / argument with my senior and showed him the posts of this thread, but he still has fixed his food on the ground and says that if they say so then ask any of them to send you screen shots of a Yahoo mail configuration with free Yahoo account.
Well it would be pretty strange if RIM has a different policy for Pakistan.
Dude I am still very much confused. There are very few experts of Blackberry in Pakistan and if I can prove to them that we can do it with a free yahoo account then it would be an honor for me.
Thank guys for the posts. Waiting for some more to clarify the issue.
Islamabad, Pakistan
Old 12-30-2009, 06:43 AM   #23
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
Though I personally haven't configured Yahoo on any of the users' BB Device. Yet my senior either upgrades users' yahoo free account to Yahoo plus ($20 /year) or simply apologizes if the user can't pay for Yahoo plus.
I had a long conversation / argument with my senior and showed him the posts of this thread, but he still has fixed his food on the ground and says that if they say so then ask any of them to send you screen shots of a Yahoo mail configuration with free Yahoo account.
Well it would be pretty strange if RIM has a different policy for Pakistan.
Dude I am still very much confused. There are very few experts of Blackberry in Pakistan and if I can prove to them that we can do it with a free yahoo account then it would be an honor for me.
Thank guys for the posts. Waiting for some more to clarify the issue.

How about you try doing it personally and see what happens? If you get an error message, or a notice of some kind, then you tell us what it says.

I personally cannot think of a reason why Yahoo or RIM would not allow use of the free email account for a particular country. It seems more likely to my mind that you would have Yahoo email service -- free or paid - or you would not. But there are plenty of things I don't understand, so who knows.

Last edited by aiharkness; 12-30-2009 at 06:46 AM..
Old 12-30-2009, 08:35 AM   #24
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

Found that info for you. It is about Yahoo! Messenger, not email, but proves that both Pakistan and UAE are not favorite countries to Yahoo for some reason.

BlackBerry - Yahoo Messenger

Read small print at the bottom:

Yahoo! Messenger for BlackBerry smartphones is currently not available for customers whose wireless service providers are based in China, Croatia, Egypt, Guernsey, Israel, Pakistan, Russia, Slovakia, South Africa, Sri Lanka or United Arab Emirates.

-----------------

If they don't offer Instant Messaging for these countries they, as well, may not offer instant email, too.

Last edited by Berry One; 12-30-2009 at 08:37 AM..
Old 12-30-2009, 08:40 AM   #25
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted

It's probably the other way around -- not that Yahoo doesn't want to provide the service, but that those countries will not allow it.

But if that's the case, why disallow free yahoo email but not the premium service. (Bureaucratic SNAFU perhaps?)

Last edited by aiharkness; 12-30-2009 at 08:47 AM..
Old 12-30-2009, 08:46 AM   #26
Berry One

The end result for user in Pakistan and Qatar is the same.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:52 AM   #27
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted

Yes, but it may be relevent to the end user to understand who/what is to blame. Not that they can do anything about it, perhaps, but for the sake of knowing the truth.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:16 AM   #28
shahzadk007
Thumbs Must Hurt

Mr. "Berry One", there is no issue with Yahoo Messenger. The problem is with the configuration of Yahoo mail configuration.
and Mr. "penguin3107", You said, "Yahoo Mail has specialized integration with BIS. It does not use POP or IMAP.
GMail has similar integration with BIS as well."

Please tell if it doesn't use POP or IMAP then which protocol is used to fetch emails from the server.

Guys I am having a hot debate with my senior over this issue. Can anyone please technically explain that how a user can configure his Yahoo mail, free Account (not Yahoo Plus) on his BB Device.
Islamabad, Pakistan
Old 01-01-2010, 06:44 AM   #29
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Mr. "Berry One", there is no issue with Yahoo Messenger. The problem is with the configuration of Yahoo mail configuration.
and Mr. "penguin3107", You said, "Yahoo Mail has specialized integration with BIS. It does not use POP or IMAP.
GMail has similar integration with BIS as well."

Please tell if it doesn't use POP or IMAP then which protocol is used to fetch emails from the server.

Guys I am having a hot debate with my senior over this issue. Can anyone please technically explain that how a user can configure his Yahoo mail, free Account (not Yahoo Plus) on his BB Device.
shahz, first, you know the blacberry does not initiate the receipt of email from the BIS/BES server, right? Delivery of email to the handset is initiated by the server. One does not configure an email client on the blackberry in the conventional sense in the way one would do it on an email reader on a computer. In the case of the blackberry, the server initiates the communication and "pushes" the message to the blackberry handset.

And you know that the user's blackberry handset, having a unique identifier, is registered with the BIS, and a blackberry BIS user typically simply enters their email address and password when adding an email account, right? You understand? That is the way it is with yahoo, the free yahoo email, as it is in most cases with other forms of email. There is nothing more to it.

To qualify the above, yes, there are times when a user has to use advanced setup and provide server info and so forth, but one does not have to do that with the free yahoo. Email address and password...That's it.

As I say, try it yourself. Do you have a blackberry? Do you use BIS? If so, register for a yahoo account and try and add it to you BIS and see what happens. And tell the rest of us exactly what you see when you try.

I'm beginning to think Pakistan does not allow it. What confuses me is the report that a premium yahoo account works.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:24 AM   #30
shahzadk007
Thumbs Must Hurt

Dudes this is the message that I get when I configure my Yahoo mail on my BIS Account.

Flickr Photo Download: Yahoo blackberry
Islamabad, Pakistan
Old 01-01-2010, 07:33 AM   #31
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Dudes this is the message that I get when I configure my Yahoo mail on my BIS Account.

Flickr Photo Download: Yahoo blackberry

I don't get it. The only conclusion I can draw is something to do with either your service provider or your country, or both --- That is, a local problem. And probably the same sort of problem for the OP.

It's interesting that you apparently are allowed to have a free Yahoo email account. If that's the case, it's beyond me why you wouldn't be allowed to have it on your blackberry (if that indeed is what's going on). (EDIT: I can imagine some possible explanations, if indeed you are being restricted.)

Your senior doesn't have any further explanation, huh? Just that premium works and free doesn't?

Last edited by aiharkness; 01-01-2010 at 07:42 AM..
Old 01-01-2010, 09:10 AM   #32
Berry One

Quote:
Mr. "Berry One", there is no issue with Yahoo Messenger.
Please read again with no rush what I wrote and spend few minutes thinking and drawing conclusions. It appears you have not read my message completely.

Quote:
Can anyone please technically explain that how a user can configure his Yahoo mail, free Account (not Yahoo Plus) on his BB Device.
I can repeat again: not in Pakistan. Sorry.

Quote:
This is standard error message. Of course, it could have been more helpful if it said "adding this email address is not allowed" but end result is the same, perhaps with more frustration.

You can choose not to believe me, your call, so let me recommend you verification you could do.
Create free Yahoo account with some random name and password. Try to add it to your blackberry in Pakistan. It should fail. Find fellow blackberry user in other country, like USA or UK. Ask that person add this same Yahoo email address to his or her blackberry. It should succeed.

After that, feel free to call technical support of your wireless provider in Pakistan and ask them why Yahoo address can be added to US/UK blackberry but not to theirs.

Last edited by Berry One; 01-01-2010 at 09:15 AM..
Old 01-01-2010, 09:16 AM   #33
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry One View Post
. . . .You can choose not to trust me, your call, so let me recommend you verification you could do.
Create free Yahoo account with some random name and password. Try to add it to your blackberry in Pakistan. It should fail. Find fellow blackberry user in other country, like USA or UK. Assk that person add this same Yahoo email address to his or her blackberry. It should succeed. . . . .

I would be real curious about the result. Curious if it matters where the 2nd user is located, or matters where the 1st user is located when creating the Yahoo account.

Berry One, have you actually done this?

Just curious.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:09 AM   #34
tints

Model: 9000
Carrier: utl

guys, im also having the same problem... im in Uganda (East Africa) now... im also getting same message... have you guys resolved the probs? please advice... Tnx!!!
Old 02-06-2010, 04:44 AM   #35
ianlamb
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
Carrier: vodafone

Wirelessly posted

If you are getting really desperate you could try forwarding all incoming yahoo mail to a gmail account and set up the gmail account on the BB.