Old 01-02-2010, 06:48 AM   #1
nkvprasad

Model: STORM
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VODAFONE
Default Accessing Outlook Mails

Please Login to Remove!

May be a very basic question.
I am planning to buy a Blackberry phone, either Curve 8900 or Storm very shortly. I reside in India.
Till now, I am using a HTC Windows mobile using which I am accessing my company emails without any issues or additional setup. (Just by giving my Exchange Id, userid & password).
Now my question is, will I be able to get emails in the same way using the blackberry phone also without subscribing for any additional services from the service provider.
The reason is when I asked my admin, they said that my company has not subscribed for the blackberry hosting, so I cannot access the mails though I register for the services.
I've asked my service provided and blackberry vendor, but in both the cases I got different and unsatisfactory answers.
So, is there any way I can access my company mails in the same way I am doing with my HTC Windows phone.
Any advise is highly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:08 AM   #2
shahzadk007
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8520
Carrier: Ufone

Dude though I have no idea of the HTC phone, but YES you can access your company email through Blackberry using GPRS services, without subscribing for the Blackberry Data Plan.
You can access your company email using the default internet browser using OWA (Outlook Web Access); as you would do on a PC where your email is not configured on outlook and you access it through IE or Firefox.
Hope this will resolve your issue.
All the best !
Islamabad, Pakistan
Old 01-02-2010, 07:24 AM   #3
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Checkout How to use BlackBerry on Generic Data Plan - BlackBerryFAQ .

You will have to have some sort of data service, which you will be paying for somehow. Maybe not as an add-on, but bundled with as part of the service. (I don't know.)

I would imagine viewing OWA in a browser on the blackberry, if you can do it, is going to be very unsatisfactory. If you subscribe to BIS, it is possible you could add your OWA account and have your email pushed to the handheld.

See the following:

Methods of Receiving Email on BlackBerry - BlackBerryFAQ

View Document 0 258352449

Good luck.

Welcome to the group!
Old 01-04-2010, 11:19 PM   #4
nkvprasad

Model: STORM
Carrier: VODAFONE

Thanks a lot guys for your inputs.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:12 AM   #5
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

You'll need to confirm with your Exchange admin what methods of access are available (OWA, IMAP, POP, etc). If any of those are options you can integrate your email account with BIS. There are some restrictions with OWA and BIS though. You'll really just have to give it a shot and see.
Closed Thread