Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
bockberry

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: fido
Default wifi?

Please Login to Remove!

I bought a bb curve 8900 about a month ago and for the first 2 weeks didn't add a data plan but used it only with wireless routers - it worked fine. I then added a bb data plan through fido and after some problem getting the internet going I finally got internet access through fido's data plan. However, I recently cancelled fido's data plan but cannot seem to access the internet anymore using wifi. Can anyone suggest why this might be happening?

Thanks in advance for your time!
Old 09-14-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Fido may block WiFi without a BB data plan as do some US carriers and others. For certain, without the BB data plan you cannot use any RIM related services such as the BB browser, email, BBM, Facebook etc.

Might try using the hotspot browser and see if that works.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 09-14-2010, 09:28 PM   #3
bockberry

yeah, so I've heard also - the funny thing is that I could have used wifi BEFORE I got the data plan. But now that I cancelled that I can't seem to use wifi anymore. The thing is, it seems to be connected (the wifi symbol is white and under "manage connections" my wifi connection is showing a green check mark) - but whenever I open a browser and try to go to a webpage I get the msg "Unable to connect to the internet, please try again later. If the problem persists please contact your service provider."

Any idea of what I can do?

Thanks again
Old 09-15-2010, 07:51 AM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Contact the carrier and get a BB data plan.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 09-15-2010, 10:29 PM   #5
richdocekal
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Rogers, T-Mobile, Verizon, Locus
Default Check your Browser setting

Its probably your browser setting. You need to change it in the main Options program - not from with the browser. Give that a go and it'll go back to the way it was for you. Fido doesnt block.

Pardon some of the other users. I think they come home and take out their frustrations by answering posts.

Enjoy
Old 09-16-2010, 09:17 PM   #6
bockberry

mmm....okay thanks - the funny thing though is that I don't know what to change the settings back to since I never touched them in the first place (I don't think); and especially since I was able to use my wifi before I got the data plan but it's just that once I took out the data plan I couldn't use it.

I was doing some travelling recently and I know once I left Canada I turned off my Data Services setting - but now I turned it back on. Incidentally, when I turned of fmy Data Services setting so that I won't get charged data roaming by Fido, I could not access wifi either. Anyway, that setting is back on now and I'm having this problem....any idea what my browser settings should be though?

Thanks richdocekal.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:01 PM   #7
50dolars
No longer Registered.

Model: 7100T
Carrier: Nokia

You need to register for the service
Old 09-16-2010, 10:52 PM   #8
richdocekal
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Rogers, T-Mobile, Verizon, Locus
Default Browser re-config

I had a similar issue and fixed it by going to options, advanced options,browser and changed the first option (inrtenet browser) to hotspot. The mds browser is set to internet, and the wap is rogers or whatever. Not important to you. Save those and try the browser.

Make sure your wifi settings are on and connected to your router. I look for the green check and an ip number on my lan.

Data services off when roaming and wifi preferred.

Let me know what the error is if this doesnt work.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:11 PM   #9
bockberry

Hey Richdocekal!
It worked! I really don't know why I should have had to change my settings though since it worked before I got the data plan...but anyhow, the main thing is that it's up and running.....thanks again for your help my friend! I really appreciate it - I was thinking I'd have to reset my phone to the state when I got it since I didn't have any problems getting on wifi then....this saves me TONS of time!

Thanks again
Closed Thread