Old 02-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #1
themaverick1953
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: don't know
Default Can't download photos from 8900 Curve

Please Login to Remove!

I am using Windows 7 64 bit and Blackberry desktop Software 8 and can't download photos. I have mass storage enabled. Can anyone help? Also today all my contacts had vanished, I don't know if this is something to do with the BBDT software, I noticed it said it was backing up at one point yesterday.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:28 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: Can't download photos from 8900 Curve

maverick, are you still dealing with this, or did you solve it?

Desktop Manager 8? You sure?

If you are going to use media sync in Desktop Manager, do not enable mass storage mode.

Use mass storage mode when you want to use the BlackBerry media card as a drive, and copy/move files using Explorer, or whatever.

On contacts, odds are that you've turned on a filter. Open the address book app and look. Make sure no filters are checked. If that's not it and if somehow you wiped out your address book, you'll need to re-sync or do a selective restore from backup.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
themaverick1953

You're the first one to reply, so I haven't got anywhere. If it's possible to just see the Blackberry in my coimputer with a drive, then thats fine and I can see no use for software. However, though it shows in device manager it doesn't show as a drive. With usb memory sticks I know how to alloacate a drive letter, but can't work it out here.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:01 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

First, you will need to download and install Desktop Manager to get drivers. You can download and install just the drivers, but you'll have to look to find that--easier to just go to blackberry.com and download and install Desktop Manager on your computer. If you haven't done this, go ahead and do it now.

On the BlackBerry handset, there are multiple parts to enabling mass storage mode. In options, enable media card support, enable mass storage mode support, and then choose the setting for auto-enable. Set it to prompt, or to yes. If you set it to prompt, be sure and select yes to enable when you connect the BlackBerry and you are prompted.

When you connect to the computer (and make sure you are connected), Windows will automatically assign it a drive letter. If you have Explorer running, you will see the BlackBerry media card appear.

Pay attention to the USB port that you use. Hubs, keyboard and monitor ports, and so forth are commonly a problem. Use a port on the computer. If you still have trouble, try other ports.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:02 PM   #5
themaverick1953

Not sure what you mean by the address book application?
Old 02-11-2011, 02:03 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

..... by the way, your carrier is your mobile service provider.

It would be could for you to complete your profile as far as the BlackBerry info. No need for your PIN, though. Just model number (not Bold or Curve), OS version, and service provider.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:04 PM   #7
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Address book, contacts....whatever.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:04 PM   #8
themaverick1953

BB DTM 6 is installed, and it appears to back up and restore files in that bars move across in th wBB DTM software, but nothing happens on the BB.

Maybe I need to add that its my employers and needs a passord on the BB and the pC before doing anything.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:10 PM   #9
themaverick1953

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
First, you will need to download and install Desktop Manager to get drivers. You can download and install just the drivers, but you'll have to look to find that--easier to just go to blackberry.com and download and install Desktop Manager on your computer. If you haven't done this, go ahead and do it now.

On the BlackBerry handset, there are multiple parts to enabling mass storage mode. In options, enable media card support, enable mass storage mode support, and then choose the setting for auto-enable. Set it to prompt, or to yes. If you set it to prompt, be sure and select yes to enable when you connect the BlackBerry and you are prompted.

When you connect to the computer (and make sure you are connected), Windows will automatically assign it a drive letter. If you have Explorer running, you will see the BlackBerry media card appear.

Pay attention to the USB port that you use. Hubs, keyboard and monitor ports, and so forth are commonly a problem. Use a port on the computer. If you still have trouble, try other ports.
OK the three parts to the medis card/support were all as they should be. I have connected the BB, got the ding dong, got Blackberry Smartphone showing in Device mnager, but nothing in My Computer. Not sure what you mean by 'if you have exploer running'?
Old 02-11-2011, 02:11 PM   #10
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

If the BlackBerry is tied to an enterprise server (BES) then it's possible mass storage mode is disabled by policy. Did you open options and look? If so, then there is nothing you can do (except talk the admin, but admin probably can't do anything either).

You do not need to have Desktop Manager running to use mass storage mode. Once enabled on the BlackBerry handset, the computer will see it regardless. But you do need to enable it on the handset.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:11 PM   #11
themaverick1953

Quote:
maverick, are you still dealing with this, or did you solve it?

Desktop Manager 8? You sure?

If you are going to use media sync in Desktop Manager, do not enable mass storage mode.

Use mass storage mode when you want to use the BlackBerry media card as a drive, and copy/move files using Explorer, or whatever.

On contacts, odds are that you've turned on a filter. Open the address book app and look. Make sure no filters are checked. If that's not it and if somehow you wiped out your address book, you'll need to re-sync or do a selective restore from backup.
When I open contacts I see an option for new contact and the next line says No Contacts
Old 02-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #12
themaverick1953

Quote:
If the BlackBerry is tied to an enterprise server (BES) then it's possible mass storage mode is disabled by policy. Did you open options and look? If so, then there is nothing you can do (except talk the admin, but admin probably can't do anything either).

You do not need to have Desktop Manager running to use mass storage mode. Once enabled on the BlackBerry handset, the computer will see it regardless. But you do need to enable it on the handset.
Mass storage mode isn't disabled. Whats more 2 months ago I somehow managed to download my photos from the BB, whether this was using DTM or the other way I'm not sure.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #13
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

On the contacts issue, open the app, open the menu, select Filter . . . Make sure nothing is checked. If it isn't a filter, I don't know, especially if you happen to be on BES.

On your problem with mass storage mode, I don't know what else to tell you. If it isn't IT policy messing you up, then retrace your steps again and figuring out what you aren't doing right. Other option is to not enable mass storage mode and use the media sync feature of Desktop Manager and sync your pictures to your computer.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:39 PM   #14
themaverick1953

OK opening contacts> options i see sort by and its set at first name (in blue). Then seperators and thats set at lines, then allow duplicate names set at Yes and then confirm delete set at Yes.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:40 PM   #15
themaverick1953

When I go to Desktop within the contact list propertiesd wireless syncronisation is set at yes and Number of entriesd says 689 (this is presumably the number of my contacts?)
Old 02-11-2011, 02:48 PM   #16
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaverick1953 View Post
OK opening contacts> options i see sort by and its set at first name (in blue). Then seperators and thats set at lines, then allow duplicate names set at Yes and then confirm delete set at Yes.
Notice I wrote menu. Not options.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:52 PM   #17
themaverick1953

I can't find anywhere near options that mentions 'menu'?
Old 02-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #18
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I never mentioned options in regard to the contacts issue.....

Again:

1 - Open the contacts app.

2 - Press the "blacberry" button to the left of the trackball/trackwheel to open the menu.

3 - Find "Filter" and click on it.

4 - See the list of filters that can be enabled by checking a box next to the filter name. Are any of them checked? If so, uncheck. Save or close, whatever is required.

If you had a filter turned on, that was most likely your problem.

If a filter isn't your issue, then I don't know. From one of your posts above, it appears you have close to 700 entries. Maybe you have multiple address books and you have a different one open? Since you may be on BES, I hesitate to speculate further.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:07 PM   #19
themaverick1953

Yo - we're there thanks very much.

Any idea how I can get to download my photos?
Old 02-12-2011, 12:28 PM   #20
themaverick1953

BTW I've no idea how the filter got ticked as I didn't know of its existence so certainly never ticked it.
Closed Thread