BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 03:37 PM   #1
guamishkind
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Buying a New, Unlocked BB, will it get blacklisted?

Please Login to Remove!

I am with AT&T and I have a used iphone that this guy wants to trade me for a new, unlocked BB 8320 Curve from T-Mobile. He said he is an employee of T-Mobile and can buy a brand new 8320 Curve at his employee discount and then unlock it and trade it for the iphone. It is cheaper for him to buy a new Curve with the discount than it is to buy an iphone online (through ebay, etc).

I was wondering if I should worry about T-Mobile shutting down my phone by blacklisting the IMEI number. I don't know if what he is doing is legal, and I don't want to give up my iphone and then realize that a few days later my Curve doesn't work or something..

I am new to Blackberries and unlocking and all that jazz. Please let me know if there is anything I should be concerned about.

NOTE: I told him that I was worried about getting scammed online, and he said he will take the full risk by sending me the Curve first, and then when I am satisfied that it works with my SIM, I can then mail him the iphone.

Thanks
Old 05-11-2008, 03:41 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Not sure how he is going tot use the iPhone on T-Mo. I thought they were locked and could not be unlocked?

I don't think you will have any trouble with the BB. Just understand that to get the full use and full potential, you will need a BB data plan. An ordinary data plan leaves much lacking.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 05-11-2008, 03:44 PM   #3
guamishkind
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks for the reply. He said he could unlock the iphone himself to work on T-Mobile as he knows how to do it. Also, as for the BB data plan I will set that up as well.

I just don't know if him buying the 8320 at a discounted price with no contract, then unlocking it and trading it for another phone is something that will get the 8320 locked down and me screwed at the end..

hopefully you are correct and there will be no problems. I'll wait and see what others have to say before I go through with this trade
Old 05-11-2008, 03:51 PM   #4
BeefyBeefo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

To be honest with you, I don't think you can really go wrong here. Since he is willing to send first, then you can activate it and make sure it works before you send the iPhone. The fact that he purchased it at employee pricing would not get it blacklisted. The only way you could really get screwed in my opinion is if he has it blacklisted AFTER he receives the iPhone, but I don't see why anyone would do that...unless he's that big of a loser and really wants to screw someone over. I would go for it if I were you....but you can never be too sure I guess, to each his own

-Jeff-
Old 05-11-2008, 03:59 PM   #5
Foxglove
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: o2

A device is only blacklisted if it is reported lost or stolen. If he purchases it legitimately then he can do as he wishes with it.

Take him up on the offer if you are unsure. Get the sim, data plan and ensure you are able to set up your email before sending the iphone. If you set up the email the device pin & imei are then registered to your Blackberry Internet Service account.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:11 AM   #6
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by guamishkind View Post
He said he is an employee of T-Mobile and can buy a brand new 8320 Curve at his employee discount and then unlock it and trade it for the iphone.
Quote:
I was wondering if I should worry about T-Mobile shutting down my phone by blacklisting the IMEI number.
There's nothing about buying a device at employee discount or unlocking it that will get it blacklisted. This is done all the time.

Quote:
I am new to Blackberries and unlocking and all that jazz.
Pretty much like unlocking any GSM device.

Last edited by takeshi; 05-13-2008 at 09:12 AM..
Closed Thread