BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 12:28 AM   #1
eva_madison

Model: 8530C
PIN: N/A
Carrier: TELUS
Default Forwarding emails as text messages??

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,

I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong place but the tread seemed like the most relevant. I'm currently looking at BB plans and trying to find the right fit for me. I really like Telus' social networking plan but I need access to my email. A friend told me that I could set up my email account to come to my phone as texts, and I'd be able to reply...and since I would have unlimited texts that there would be no additional fees to do so. I tried searching and found a few sites that claim it is possible and works and provide instructions on how to do so. Just looking for confirmation on this fact, and you guys seemed like the people who would know.

Thanks,
E.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:56 AM   #2
prasetyadrian
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800
Carrier: Telkomsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva_madison View Post
A friend told me that I could set up my email account to come to my phone as texts, and I'd be able to reply...and since I would have unlimited texts that there would be no additional fees to do so.
Hi Eva,

It appears that either your friend didn't explain to you correctly or you misunderstood it. The emails don't get delivered as text.

Maybe we should synchronize the terminologies first. A "text message" usually refers to SMS (short messaging service). I'm going to assume you've heard about SMS coz it's a standard feature in all cellular phone service.

What BlackBerry is known for is their service to deliver emails to your cellular phone (of course, not all cellphones that can open emails can get BB service, but that's another story). Once you setup your email account on the phone, the emails will be sent to your phone as... emails, not as text. The noticeable difference is that now you don't have to turn on your computer and go online to check for new emails, they get delivered to your phone.

You said you have unlimited text plan. To my understanding that would be unlimited SMS plan, not BB service. You would still have to activate the BB service to use email feature.

Hope this helps.

"Curve" 8320 >> "Javelin" 8900 >> "Curve 3G" 9300 >> "Torch" 9800
Old 01-21-2010, 04:22 AM   #3
shahzadk007
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8520
Carrier: Ufone
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva_madison View Post
A friend told me that I could set up my email account to come to my phone as texts, and I'd be able to reply.

E.
You will not get your email as text messages. Your emails will not be forwarded as SMSes rather each of your email accounts (upto 10) will be configured as email boxes on Blackberry device and they will be behaving as mailboxes.
Islamabad, Pakistan
Old 01-21-2010, 08:52 AM   #4
Noodle22
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8520
Carrier: Rogers

In a more simpler way, without the data plan to recieve and send the emails in the first place, it should not be possible. Could you maybe show us this site that shows you how to do so?
Old 01-21-2010, 08:57 AM   #5
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

I think the OP is referring to using an SMS gateway.

In other words, if I email (my number)@mms.att.net then I'll receive the message as SMS.

If I email (my number)@mms.att.net then I'll receive the message as MMS.

Keep in mind that SMS messages are limited in length. I don't recall if MMS messages have the same limitation on length or not as I don't use MMS.

Last edited by takeshi; 01-21-2010 at 09:03 AM..
Closed Thread