Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 04:50 AM   #101
djniche
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

I noticed the ringer is slightly louder but exception ringers set to specific callers are still set too low. I emailed verizon about it. Are other people having this same problem?
Old 11-24-2007, 09:51 AM   #102
SkyPilot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Bell

The vendor specific OS are the same just less hassle for the individuals that are using that provider no need to delete vendor code or edit such etc

SkyPilot
Telus 7520 -Bell 8703e - Bell 8830
Old 11-24-2007, 01:33 PM   #103
Jase88
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PlayB
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Wirelessly posted (7250: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/109)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98
^^^ The version numbers are the same as VZW's... even the filesize is the same. I'm willing to be there's no difference.
You're right. I noticed this after I posted.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:35 PM   #104
docew
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default How?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzman View Post
Is anyone experiencing faster memory usage with this version of software? I am on a Verizon 8830. I seem to be losing about 1MB per hour, doing nothing but sending and receiving a few e-mails.
So how do I check for a memory leak?
Old 11-25-2007, 03:19 PM   #105
mark0341

Model: 8330
PIN: E Tree's

Is this available for other CDMA carriers? (ALLTEL) (Sprint)
Old 11-25-2007, 03:24 PM   #106
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

Are you asking if one OS for an 8830 from a CDMA carrier will work on another carriers 8830 CDMA device? if so, yes.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:25 PM   #107
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Carrier: *

I dunno if you can call it a memory leak, but the Media Player in this version sure likes to suck down the memory like never before. You use it long enough and it will go down quick. Once you exit it seems to give the memory back. I dunno what RIM changed in this version, but there's a lot of up and down in memory usage like never before. I've never seen that before with previous versions.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:20 AM   #108
brc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Who else?

anyone notice now when you delete a message, it doesn't give you the choice to delete from the mailbox? Is there a setting somewhere?

Nevermind, I found it!!

Last edited by brc; 11-26-2007 at 10:23 AM..
Old 11-26-2007, 12:04 PM   #109
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Yeah, well, there's definatly memory issues with this revision of the software. I used to have consistant memory readings from day to day without major jumps, but now it's all over the place on available memory.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:38 PM   #110
docew
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98 View Post
Yeah, well, there's definatly memory issues with this revision of the software. I used to have consistant memory readings from day to day without major jumps, but now it's all over the place on available memory.
Sorry - but can someone explain how to check the memory - only had this a few months and haven't needed to do it....
Old 11-26-2007, 06:09 PM   #111
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Options/Status or ALT+SFT+H.

Definate memory leak in this lame release. On reboot it has about 19MB free and after 2 days of use it's down to 14MB. A reboot puts it back up to 19MB, so it's not memory that's taken up with whatever's come down to the phone like messages, etc. The leak is from the OS not being able to release resources after it uses them. Damn RIM and their lame testers who don't find these glitches before they publish the releases. They take long enough, you'd think the people getting paid for this knew what they were doing. There should be a standard checklist of things to look for on every new release. Ringer Volume, memory usage, multi-tasking speed (which blows a little on this release/little sluggish), radio reception and stability, voice quality making and receiving calls on headset and speaker (which still blows btw), Media Player stability/lockup issues with playing a long list of songs that aren't tied to a playlist or catagory playback model. What more can I say, this is what I check for on each release and I'm still finding bugs 90% of the time.

Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 11-26-2007 at 06:14 PM..
Old 11-28-2007, 01:59 AM   #112
wabbit

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

civic, the vz release, is less memory leak, after a week i stay around 21 megs free, doable, its a little better then telus.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:41 AM   #113
bcreekski
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have read all of this thread but still do not know if I should download the new OS for Verizon. Are there problems and what does it do? I have no problems currently and will not use VZ Navigator.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:42 AM   #114
amarryat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Options/Status or ALT+SFT+H.

Definate memory leak in this lame release.
Where is it in the status report? The only thing I see related to memory are the "File Free" and "File Total" values. To me those indicate available and used storage space (as in a hard drive), not RAM.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:47 AM   #115
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcreekski View Post
I have read all of this thread but still do not know if I should download the new OS for Verizon. Are there problems and what does it do? I have no problems currently and will not use VZ Navigator.
Stay with what you have then.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:49 AM   #116
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarryat View Post
Where is it in the status report? The only thing I see related to memory are the "File Free" and "File Total" values. To me those indicate available and used storage space (as in a hard drive), not RAM.
Smack yourself over the head for this one. There is no HD in a BB. That's what you're looking for. That's the onboard memory the BB uses to store it's OS/userdata and it's also what you have left in terms of RAM used for application runs and normal functionality.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:52 AM   #117
Spencer_CDS
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
PIN: 23F25F08
Carrier: AT&T Mobility

Quote:
^^^ The version numbers are the same as VZW's... even the filesize is the same. I'm willing to be there's no difference.
Not at all. Same difference, regardless of which one you elect to download.

Remember, though, Verizon's OS version isn't hosted on RIM's servers, though, so it may be a quicker download.

4.2.1.108 / 2.3.0.85
Old 11-28-2007, 09:59 AM   #118
amarryat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Smack yourself over the head for this one. There is no HD in a BB. That's what you're looking for. That's the onboard memory the BB uses to store it's OS/userdata and it's also what you have left in terms of RAM used for application runs and normal functionality.
I realize that there is no hard drive - I was making an allusion. I just thought there may be a distinction between ram and storage.

Also, how do you have so much storage after a battery pull? My File Free number is 15431349 (and my total is 47841280).
Old 11-28-2007, 10:07 AM   #119
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarryat View Post
I realize that there is no hard drive - I was making an allusion. I just thought there may be a distinction between ram and storage.

Also, how do you have so much storage after a battery pull? My File Free number is 15431349 (and my total is 47841280).
Depends on what you have loaded on your BB. All my ringtones and wallpapers are on an SD card so I don't take up room with that. Also, I've deleted the demo video that's onboard and a couple of other useless things from there as well. NOTE* Some things can only be deleted with javaloader, but for the most part the BB load is stock with the exception of a theme or two that's aftermarket and a couple of the extra vendor ones that come with the OS loads.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:12 AM   #120
amarryat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Depends on what you have loaded on your BB. All my ringtones and wallpapers are on an SD card so I don't take up room with that. Also, I've deleted the demo video that's onboard and a couple of other useless things from there as well. NOTE* Some things can only be deleted with javaloader, but for the most part the BB load is stock with the exception of a theme or two that's aftermarket and a couple of the extra vendor ones that come with the OS loads.
I also store my ringers etc. on an SD card. And I don't think that I have alot of extra stuff installed - jivetalk, viigo, beyond411, yahoo go, opera mini, and google maps. And I use a vista-like theme. Maybe related to the 3 other email addresses in addition to the vzw one?
Closed Thread