Old 02-27-2008, 01:59 AM   #1
jstewartjr85
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9930
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Sending Contacts in Addressbook Via Bluetooth

Please Login to Remove!

Is there anyway I can send my .VCF file in my addessbook to another phone, computer, ect via bluetooth..because the only way i see i can send it is through BB messanger?
Old 02-27-2008, 03:37 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Attach address to emails or PINs.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:34 PM   #3
crisambo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9780
PIN: Another name for the flagstick, term more commonly used by amateurs
Carrier: TMO, ATT, Nextel, Sprint

aiharkness' suggestion does not answer the ? re: bluetooth transfer, but those are way's to send contact info...

As far as BT transfer of addressbook entries, unless the other device has the ability to receive/accept that file (or be a Target), then you wont be able to push that info to the other device.

I have successfully BT addressbook entry from BB to a Motorola Nextel ic902 which have the following services listed under device properties:

Handfree Voice Gateway
Headset Voice Getway
Object Push
AVRCP Target

However, BT transfer to a Treo 650 with Object Push service only failed.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:49 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisambo View Post
aiharkness' suggestion does not answer the ? re: bluetooth transfer, but those are way's to send contact info...
True.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:11 PM   #5
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

See this post by John Clark. I take his word for it.

For the faq on transferring media and files via bluetooth, see Transfer files / media via Bluetooth - BlackBerryFAQ.com
Old 02-27-2008, 06:23 PM   #6
crisambo
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post

For the faq on transferring media and files via bluetooth, see Transfer files / media via Bluetooth - BlackBerryFAQ.com
Maybe good for Multimedia files, how about contacts...? I say it's all relative to receiving device's BT service properties.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:25 PM   #7
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I didn't think contacts transfer could be done. I haven't done it but (as I say) rely on what I've read here on BBF. You are welcome to prove that wrong. I hope the OP is able to do it with your help.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:44 PM   #8
jstewartjr85
Thumbs Must Hurt

I dont see a way to send via bluetooth....is there any way to see it as a file and send it that way? is there a program that allows you to send things that cant be sent via bluetooth through Bluetooth?
Old 02-28-2008, 08:35 AM   #9
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness

EDIT: here it the link to John Clark's post which I forgot to paste: http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...tml#post823887

Last edited by aiharkness; 02-28-2008 at 05:55 PM..
Old 02-28-2008, 01:43 PM   #10
crisambo
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstewartjr85 View Post
I dont see a way to send via bluetooth....is there any way to see it as a file and send it that way? is there a program that allows you to send things that cant be sent via bluetooth through Bluetooth?
What are you trying to achieve? What devices and content are involved?

After my test to BT to a Treo 650 failed yesterday, I experimented further with the BB-Treo pairing and after deleting the previous pairing and re-pairing both devices again, the Transfer Address Book option now appears on the BB's "Treo" paired device menu list and was actually able to transfer some contact information.

Paired a VZW Mot W385 phone and that set-up also provided Transfer Address Book option.

Pairings with a BB7290, BB8700g and BB8703e does not provide the Transfer Address Book option. . .

Here are the steps I did with the Treo and Motorola phones:
Pair BT devices.

to Transfer Address Book:
Main Menu -> OPTIONS->BLUETOOTH -> Choose and click target Paired Device->TRANSFER ADDRESS BOOK . . .

If you do not have the TRANSFER ADDRESS BOOK option on your list, you need to enable it . . .
Main Menu -> OPTIONS->BLUETOOTH -> Choose and click target Paired Device->OPTIONS-> Address Book Transfer setting: (make sure it's not DISABLED)

In my experience, each of the different target BT devices showed different data transfer results, this could be possibly due to database field attributes that may be unrelated between devices. . .

Following information lifted from BB User Guide:
If BB cannot share contacts with a paired Bluetooth enabled device
Try performing the following actions:
• Verify that Bluetooth® technology is turned on.
• Verify that your BlackBerry® device is paired with the Bluetooth enabled device.
• Verify that, in the Bluetooth options, the Address Book Transfer field is set to Enabled.
• Verify that your BlackBerry device is connected to a Bluetooth enabled device that supports the Handsfree profile or the Object
Push profile. See the documentation that came with the Bluetooth enabled device for more information about supported profiles.

Additional Information from RIM KB:
* Device OS must be v4.1 or later
* BES policies can disable this feature.
* Address Book integration is controlled entirely by the car kit. The car kit must support AT (attention) commands in order to receive Address Book entries from the BlackBerry device. The Object Push method of transferring Address Book entries is not supported.

Check this out, too...

Address Book integration using Bluetooth car kits

Goodluck...
Old 02-28-2008, 05:24 PM   #11
jstewartjr85
Thumbs Must Hurt

If I try that which I have before.....thats cool but it wont let me just pick one contact and send it..It will let me send the whole address book. Im trying to pair it with any type of Smart/PDA phone....I use that .VCF as my business card. I used to be able to transfer files via Bluetooth on my Treo 700 with a program that I bought.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:39 PM   #12
crisambo
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstewartjr85 View Post
If I try that which I have before.....thats cool but it wont let me just pick one contact and send it..It will let me send the whole address book. Im trying to pair it with any type of Smart/PDA phone....I use that .VCF as my business card. I used to be able to transfer files via Bluetooth on my Treo 700 with a program that I bought.
For your purpose of sending your contact info as business card to Smart/PDA phones, the next best thing you can do is attach your contact to a MMS message.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:10 PM   #13
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

jstewartjr85, if your new contact has a blackberry, get their pin and pin them your contact info from your address book. For those who don't have a blackberry, it's better in my experience to just give them your old fashioned business card. FWIW.