BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 10:43 AM   #81
madcow

Model: 8700
Default poor man car clip

Please Login to Remove!

This is going to sound much like that goofy picture of the guy with the cell phone attached to his head with a rubber band but it works for me.

I took a piece of velcro and attached it to the back of my 8700. I took the other side of the velcro and stuck right in the middle of my steering wheel. When I get in the car the 8700 sits there nice and pretty and stares me in the face. With a bluetooth headset I'm good to go...

I am looking for a true car kit though...is there already a thread on that?
Old 02-03-2006, 08:44 PM   #82
rcg
Platinum Sponsor

Model: 7290

That sounds pretty sweet until the airbag goes off!

Velcro is an awesome solution but it's not for everyone.

AIM: SmartPhoneDepot
Old 02-03-2006, 08:51 PM   #83
rcg
Platinum Sponsor

Just so you are all aware we have these in stock at about 10% off

http://store.bizshopr.com/pro848663.html

Old 02-03-2006, 09:43 PM   #84
madcow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcg
That sounds pretty sweet until the airbag goes off!

Velcro is an awesome solution but it's not for everyone.
Good point, I never thought about the airbag...permanent tattoo of 8700 on my face....
Old 02-03-2006, 10:08 PM   #85
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T
Default madcow my hero

Here's some history. I think I saw every Pink Panther movie about 20 times. My father was in the orchestra that recorded the music for one of them. Love your avatar. Enjoy my tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcow
Good point, I never thought about the airbag...permanent tattoo of 8700 on my face....
Old 02-05-2006, 11:28 AM   #86
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoxx
I understand what ya mean now.

I'm gonna try putting a thin stip of felt or something like that on the inside of the bracket. It probably will only last for a short time, but can always re-place it
Well, I scoped out the fit of my ProClip this weekend, using the much-needed sunlight, and definitely felt that the clip's front edges were scraping the front edges of my 8700 (as I described earlier in this thread). I resorted to black electrical tape for the moment to "lubricate" the path; looks cheesy as hell but I don't own a fine-enough file to smooth down the offending edges.

Anyone else that's received the 8700 ProClip experienced the same concerns about scratching/wearing away the 8700's gray plastic along both sides of the keyboard?
Old 02-05-2006, 12:42 PM   #87
mikester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Rogers

peznut, thanks for the heads up. I'm expecting mine this week and I will be sure to check those edges before I will use it. I guess we can use a finger nail file.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:15 AM   #88
madcow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
Here's some history. I think I saw every Pink Panther movie about 20 times. My father was in the orchestra that recorded the music for one of them. Love your avatar. Enjoy my tips.
Cool history about your father; I grew up watching them with my family almost every Friday night. They were about the only movies we watched together as a family. Today my brothers and I still communicate via Pink Panther movie quotes much to the chargrin of our spouses.

Love the tips! - thanks!
Old 02-06-2006, 11:00 AM   #89
mclevitt

Model: 8700r

i just got notified from pro-clip distributor in canada that they have pulled 8700 holder from market as it scratched the units. it is being replaced in 2-3 weeks with a padded version of the older bberry pro-clip model.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:11 AM   #90
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: eapple and ham pizza is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclevitt
i just got notified from pro-clip distributor in canada that they have pulled 8700 holder from market as it scratched the units. it is being replaced in 2-3 weeks with a padded version of the older bberry pro-clip model.

My vehicle holder was on Backorder- waiting to see what the device holder looks like when it arrives.

JP

Last edited by johnfromphilly; 02-06-2006 at 03:41 PM..
Old 02-06-2006, 03:49 PM   #91
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

I just called and spoke to proclips customer service because I noticed that the 8700 holders were taken off of the website. I have an order in for one for the 8700.

She checked and said they had a client (multiple users or a distributor, I am not sure) who had metioned some problems but they were trying to get in touch with actual users who had those problems so they could be addressed. If anyone has the problem of scratching the 8700 they should call proclips.

I emailed her this thread to see some of the talk- they are aggresively trying to find out what the problems are so they can fix the problem if one exists.

By the way- I kept my order in place so I can see and feel how it works and hope mine is not a problem.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:53 PM   #92
justin.culp
CrackBerry Addict

Model: SOLD
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcow
This is going to sound much like that goofy picture of the guy with the cell phone attached to his head with a rubber band but it works for me.

I took a piece of velcro and attached it to the back of my 8700. I took the other side of the velcro and stuck right in the middle of my steering wheel. When I get in the car the 8700 sits there nice and pretty and stares me in the face. With a bluetooth headset I'm good to go...

I am looking for a true car kit though...is there already a thread on that?

I also use the velcro method; on the dash though....been doing it since my 7280 days and it works great if you get high quality velcro.

My dash is black so you can't even see it on there. I have the 'hard' velcro side on the dash and the soft on my 8700. Never fallen once!

Old 02-06-2006, 04:05 PM   #93
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin.culp
I also use the velcro method; on the dash though....been doing it since my 7280 days and it works great if you get high quality velcro.

My dash is black so you can't even see it on there. I have the 'hard' velcro side on the dash and the soft on my 8700. Never fallen once!
Man without velcro or duck tape we would be a pathetic lot wouldn't we?

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 02-06-2006, 04:56 PM   #94
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Pro Clips is overnighting my 8700 holder so I can give them feedback on the "scratching issue". They are really trying to be proactive- the Customer service rep has been very interested and wants information.

If anyone has any feedback they are VERY interested in hearing from people with real world experience. Peznut and Stoxx- this means you.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:10 PM   #95
dallasaudiguy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfromphilly
Pro Clips is overnighting my 8700 holder so I can give them feedback on the "scratching issue". They are really trying to be proactive- the Customer service rep has been very interested and wants information.

If anyone has any feedback they are VERY interested in hearing from people with real world experience. Peznut and Stoxx- this means you.
I have the proclip mount and I do not see any scratching
Old 02-06-2006, 05:18 PM   #96
rcg
Platinum Sponsor

We pulled a holder from inventory and and i checked it... i cant see any contact... where are you seeing the holder "grind" the blackberry? Thanks

Old 02-06-2006, 09:09 PM   #97
RoadRider
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

mine is scraped too! just emailed their support. bought their product, it damaged my phone, now i wait to see how they respond.

Edit: don't mean to sound irate. in fact, the clip and vehicle mount are very solid and look great..good price also. but a scraped $400 phone wasn't in the bargain.

Last edited by RoadRider; 02-06-2006 at 09:31 PM..
Old 02-06-2006, 09:19 PM   #98
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfromphilly

I doubt not that ProClip would be proactive; this company's responsiveness has often impressed me in the past. Moreover, I didn't mean to start a huge "issue" with my comment about my "grinding" concern.

That said, and trying to answer many of the posts in this thread of late, I'll try to re-express my initial concern about the "grinding" thing. If all works well, I've attached an image of a pre-production 8700 (the only pic I had handy) with the two areas of concern marked in red, in case my earlier text description wasn't clear.

When I first received/used my ProClip, I noticed a very fine "dusty" residue on both of these red areas of the 8700 when I removed it. That's what prompted my initial comment about worries that one of the two plastics in contact (the 8700 or the ProClip) would abrade the other. Since then (and I admit I've only been using the ProClip for 6 days now), I've noticed the same thing perhaps 2 or 3 times and, even though I've thought that I just need to "break in" the ProClip, I admit that I've lately inserted my 8700 gingerly into the clip, not seating it fully (in my estimation) because it seems to grip my 8700 more "tightly" along those areas than my previous ProClip gripped my 7290...

Again, that said, and looking carefully at my 8700, I see NO actual scratches on the two areas in question! I wasn't trying to undermine ProClip's sales in any way; just felt that this ProClip model seemed "tighter" than my prior model, and the "residue" concerned me, so I sought confirmation of similar experiences from other users. If any user has experienced anything similar, please post here but, more importantly, please let ProClip know!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PROCLIP8700.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	1542  
Old 02-06-2006, 10:00 PM   #99
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by peznut
I doubt not that ProClip would be proactive; this company's responsiveness has often impressed me in the past. Moreover, I didn't mean to start a huge "issue" with my comment about my "grinding" concern.
peznut,
I checked on my order today and noticed that the Proclip website did not show any 8700 device holders ...that prompted my question to Customer Service.
They told me they already had an issue regarding complaints similar to yours(although yours was more of an observation) and it prompted them to "temporarily" remove it from the website- this is not just about what you brought up in this thread. I pointed their CS staff to this thread to get some feedback because they said they had heard of issues but not any real life feedback yet.

I thought it would be an opportunity to put the people that are having the issue together with the people who want to hear about it.

They are checking this thread to get feedback.

JP
Old 02-07-2006, 12:51 AM   #100
Liv
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

Ah!

I was wondering why they took it off the site. When I first started reading this thread I kept checking the site trying to figure out where it went.

I should have read this thread backwards. Bah.

Well, I won't be getting my truck back for a while, so until then I may go with the Alkron holder, that way I can move it over to my truck when I go back up north.
Closed Thread