Old 02-24-2007, 04:42 PM   #1
donthateme13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: curve
Carrier: tmo
Default 8800 will only charge with usb cord

Please Login to Remove!

Hey guys,

Heres the problem i jsut got my 8800 yesterday and realized this morning that its not charging with the power adapter. When i connec thte adapter the charging signal shows up for 2 seconds then disappears. I tried the charger from my pearl and from my 8700 and both do the same thing, charging icon appears then disappears. All three chargers work on the pearl and the 8700.

Here's where it gets weird the phone charges just fine via the usb cable on my computer. I have no clue what that means if its a software issue or a hardware issue. I still have time to return it but i jsut got my unlock code from gsmphonesource eysterday and really dont wanna dish out another 30 bucks for a new unlock code.

Any help is appreciated thanks in advance
Old 02-24-2007, 04:50 PM   #2
jetspeedz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: ATT

if the charge is at 100% it will do that.. with the usb charge its a trickle charge and it stays on usually...
Old 02-24-2007, 04:57 PM   #3
donthateme13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks for your reply. That's not it though. Last night I had about 15 percent battery life left and plugged it in. This morning battery was almost dead.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:06 PM   #4
beachbum77

Model: 8700c
Default Charging

Mine is just the opposite. It WON'T charge with the USB cable, but will with the plug in.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:10 PM   #5
kjaslow
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: Telstra

With my 8700, there were times when I was having problems with the desktop software. The 8700 was not recognized by the computer, and it seemed to exhibit the sort of charging behavior you're describing. First off, just use the travel charger to connect directly to a power outlet to solve your immediate charging problem.

Next, make sure that you have Dekstop Manager, and 8800 handheld software both installed. A common point of confusion for new blackberry owners is this concept of handheld software. Think of the Desktop Manager as a shell that has the ability to connect to a Blackberry, but has no built-in knowledge about any particular device. So, in order for the Desktop Manager and your computer to actually recognize your device, you must also install the appropriate "handheld software". That's an unfortunate name, because "Handheld Software" sounds like it goes on the phone. It does not. It is more like supplemental software for your computer so that the computer knows how to talk to your handheld device...

Once you've got both Desktop Manager, and the handheld software installed, the computer will recognize your Blackberry (even when you are NOT running Desktop Manager), and will then know how to charge your device. Hope that helps...
Old 02-25-2007, 09:00 AM   #6
Fungineer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

If your older BBs charge from the wall adapter fine and the new one doesn't, I'd say it is a HW issue with the phone.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:21 AM   #7
RoadRider
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

Or just a faulty charger.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:37 AM   #8
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

I agree, sound like a bad charger, cable or connection on the device.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:13 AM   #9
donthateme13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Charger is fine cable is fine and connection is fine i think its a software issue. I connect it to the computer it picks it up right away and charges fine. I use any of my THREE blackberry charges and the charging indicator comes up and disappears right away. So the usb port on the phone has to be fine and i know the chargers are fine cuz i tested them on the 8700 and the 8100. So for now im gonna hope the next software release will eb the answer or maybe the charging cradle using the side connectors. Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 03-23-2007, 12:28 AM   #10
mawrigh1

Model: 8800

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthateme13
Charger is fine cable is fine and connection is fine i think its a software issue. I connect it to the computer it picks it up right away and charges fine. I use any of my THREE blackberry charges and the charging indicator comes up and disappears right away. So the usb port on the phone has to be fine and i know the chargers are fine cuz i tested them on the 8700 and the 8100. So for now im gonna hope the next software release will eb the answer or maybe the charging cradle using the side connectors. Anyone else have any ideas?
I am having this identical issue. My 8800 will not charge. I have replaced the battery and charger.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:52 AM   #11
135AV8TOR

Carrier: Cingular
Default My 8800 Charges Fine But....

My 8800 charges fine both by the power cord and via the USB to the PC. I do not have the issue described above where it does not fully charge. These devices are complex pieces of technology so it could be a software issue but I think more likely it is either hardware or more probably a problem with the charger. I would think that the trickle power supplied by the PC via USB or the AC adapter via USB would both look the same to the device so if one works and the other does not then maybe the charger is bad.

On my 8800 the only think I have noticed about charging which I think is odd, is that when the device is turned off and plugged in for charging the LED on the top flashes a yellow-green color. I **"assumed"** that when the device was fully charged it would then turn solid green or perhalps just turn off. I have seen postings by Pearl Users that describe this behavior. Well, my device just keeps flashing yellow-green while charging and even after it is fully charged.

I would be curious to know what other 8800 users see in terms of the LED during charging when the device is off... and does it go solid or off or just keep flashing once fully charged?
Old 03-23-2007, 08:00 AM   #12
sd5187
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
Carrier: Rogers

The "yellow-green" flashing LED happens on my Pearl and 8700 while charging when the device is turned off...
Old 03-24-2007, 02:41 AM   #13
donthateme13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Again the charger is NOT bad i have three blackberry chargers...All three charge my 8700g, my pearl, my 7520 and my friends 8800.

It has to be a software issue im waiting for an updated software to release to see if that fixes it. it doesnt matter in a month or two the 8300 will be out i jsut dont wanna have to lower my selling price for it cuz of the issue
Old 03-24-2007, 08:08 AM   #14
kjo43
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: your mom

Similar experience here.... I have an A/C charger that came with another (non-RIM) phone and had used it for months with my Pearl. When I got the 8800 it would charge for only 2 seconds and then be done. So far, all RIM branded chargers and USB cables seem to work fine.

for the record, the charger is not broken,,, using it on another phone as we speak.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:43 PM   #15
Fungineer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthateme13
Again the charger is NOT bad i have three blackberry chargers...All three charge my 8700g, my pearl, my 7520 and my friends 8800.

It has to be a software issue im waiting for an updated software to release to see if that fixes it. it doesnt matter in a month or two the 8300 will be out i jsut dont wanna have to lower my selling price for it cuz of the issue
I'd replace the device. With a desktop the handheld enumerates over USB to get 500mA of current (default is only 100mA) - with the wall charger it *should* at the very least draw 100mA, and they can deliver up to 1A, but since there is no enumeration process with a wall charger (or car charger or anything that isn't a PC) there has to be "some" way that the device knows it is connected to a charger, and that part of the phone might be broken.

if it's under warranty I'd get it replaced, unlocked or no.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:44 PM   #16
mediaman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum77 View Post
Mine is just the opposite. It WON'T charge with the USB cable, but will with the plug in.
Same here, but I get an error message indicating "USB charging current is not sufficient. Verify that your handheld is connected to a powered USB charging source and that the proper USB driver is installed.

I just recd my 8800 (Rogers)- AC plug charges it fine...and my Win XP machine USB ports "ARE" powered..I charge up my iPod all the time. So is this a s/w bug??
Old 04-17-2007, 10:06 PM   #17
donthateme13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediaman View Post
Same here, but I get an error message indicating "USB charging current is not sufficient. Verify that your handheld is connected to a powered USB charging source and that the proper USB driver is installed.

I just recd my 8800 (Rogers)- AC plug charges it fine...and my Win XP machine USB ports "ARE" powered..I charge up my iPod all the time. So is this a s/w bug??
Install the software from the CD that came with the phone....
Old 04-26-2007, 08:06 AM   #18
rpfeffer
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint BES

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum77 View Post
I just had a user report this yesterday as well. Have you resolved that issue yet?

edit: nevermind, I just read the post above. I will go ahead and install the desktop manager software. Thanks!

Last edited by rpfeffer; 04-26-2007 at 08:09 AM..
Old 04-26-2007, 08:30 AM   #19
bglawrence
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: N/A

try installing the new Tmo OS! Keep in mind that there are USB adapters in these updates for charging and syncing purposes. and also be certain you are using DM 4.2.1. Update OS and DM and then execute a battery pull. I would bet that solves your problems. Worked on my old pearl when I had the problem. My 8800 though does not have that problem.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:38 AM   #20
Besworthy

Model: 8703
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular

Question. I notice that the 8800 shuts off after awhile and you press the track ball it comes back on. Does it still check for messages while in this state? i am so use to just seeing the red light when i have messages or green when nothing but the shutting off throws me off. Any ideas or thoughts?
Closed Thread