Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 10:04 AM   #101
Joe1004
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Z10
PIN: t of ale anyone?
Carrier: VZW

Please Login to Remove!

I finally decided to upgrade again from .77.

After reading and reading and thinking and thinking I decided to go with the .127 release for Alltel that I downloaded from the Blackberry site.

I chose the Alltel version because it looked like it was the highest official carrier release other than .131 that everyone is having issues with AND I had .127 on my device early before it was an official release and was happy with it.

I have tested everything. GPS is great. Not anywhere near as flaky as .77 and certainly not with .131. 9-1-1 works properly. Memory is better managed. I went from 40 to 43 MB free.

Speakerphone blast is there if you watch for it, but it is VERY short and I don't think anyone on the other end of a call would notice unless your environment was very noisy.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:05 AM   #102
JackG058
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: ney for your thoughts
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by keisur View Post

My only complaint is Verizons crap with locking features out. After my term I'm switching providers as it reminds me of being naked with 10 naked hot chicks and one ugly chick laying down in front of me, but only having the option to ravish the ugly chick.
ROFL, good analogy keisur.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:08 AM   #103
Joe1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by keisur View Post
When I upgraded my GPS worked with BBmaps but it only showed terrain and would track fine but the streets were all gone. I reinstalled and that didn't fix it. so I went back to the last version and won't try another upgrade until the next version. I also noticed lag after button presses, maybe a 1 or 2 second delay before it would respond to the button being pressed.

My only complaint is Verizons crap with locking features out. After my term I'm switching providers as it reminds me of being naked with 10 naked hot chicks and one ugly chick laying down in front of me, but only having the option to ravish the ugly chick.
I have had this map issue before and it has always been an issue with not having data coverage or a failure briefly, not an issue with the map. Every time it has happened to me I have tried to browse the Internet and that wouldn't work either. Once browsing was restored, BBMaps would work properly.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:09 PM   #104
VandalMom

PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint
Question Downloading

Ok, I am a novice at all of this. Currently I am downloading 4.3 and following the directions. I am in the first stage. I am nervous!!!! I tried this the other night on my lap top and got some serious virus. I am now on the fam desktop - if I get a virus on this I am dead!!!!!

Is there going to be someone around that can help me with this is about an hour or so (Pacific Time - 6:07) in case I get into trouble?????

I have a BB 8330 - and my main concern is sending pictures. Sending pics is my job.....tired of going in and doing it as an email. I want to text them, plain and simple.

Is this doable????

Last edited by VandalMom; 03-11-2009 at 08:10 PM..
Old 03-11-2009, 11:51 PM   #105
alb123

Model: 9630
PIN: ********
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalMom View Post

I have a BB 8330 - and my main concern is sending pictures. Sending pics is my job.....tired of going in and doing it as an email. I want to text them, plain and simple.

Is this doable????
Of course. MMS provides the ability to send Text, Pictures, Audio, Video and even such things as Calendar entries. Oh, and you can mix and match. So you can have text and a picture in the same message to someone. Very handy!

Chris

join #blackberry on EFNet today!
Old 03-12-2009, 10:28 AM   #106
Firewalker138

On the GPS topic, VZW is my carrier, I updated to OS 4.5 before VZW officially released 4.5 and unlocked the GPS for BBMaps. Now, I still can't use the internal GPS in BBMaps. Could this be a service book issue? Which service book(s) is GPS related so I can try deleting and resending?
Old 03-12-2009, 10:54 AM   #107
goodkodiak

Hello, I see a lot of complaints on the newest version 131. I have verizon and my question is to everyone else who have tried the past few updates (and have verizon) if you had to pick one of the last few releases which one is the best. I don't care much about the speakerphone issue but I do feel like my phone has become less stable after the verizon official release. I haven't tried any other updates besides the last verizon update. Thanks ! Also, does the gps work in google maps with any of the latest releases because that would be nice?
Old 03-13-2009, 10:53 AM   #108
assman2

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

4.5.0.131 SUCKS for Verizon 8330

Why?

1. The backlight response when you press on the button to turn on the curve is slow
2. Browser is worse
3. Crashes more often than .77
Old 03-13-2009, 07:16 PM   #109
JerLon

I upgraded to 131 when it came out and am sick of tons of issues with it. Freezing, slow response time, browser constantly not loading pages requiring battery pulls....

I cannot find good directions for downgrading and keeping my programs/e-mails.... Any links to this?

What version is the most stable on a Verizon that keeps GPS functioning?
Old 03-14-2009, 07:37 PM   #110
kusellout69
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8530

I'm on 4.5.0.188 with VZW 8330 and have no issues really. The speakerphone blast is still technically there (see my previous post), but it's so negligible now that you won't notice it.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:56 PM   #111
French
Thumbs Must Hurt

Anyone else have memory issues?
Old 03-17-2009, 06:33 PM   #112
Joe1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerLon View Post
I upgraded to 131 when it came out and am sick of tons of issues with it. Freezing, slow response time, browser constantly not loading pages requiring battery pulls....

I cannot find good directions for downgrading and keeping my programs/e-mails.... Any links to this?

What version is the most stable on a Verizon that keeps GPS functioning?
I went back to .77, then after a lot of thinking went back up to .127 from Alltel.

I believe it has a memory leak, but that isn't a big deal since I frequently run my battery down and switch to another.

I can say that the GPS works very reliably in .127. Better than in .77 fixes faster and doesn't go to "searching for satellites" often at all. VZNavigator works great too.

You can also search the forums for instructions on how to "downgrade". It is easy to backup your data/programs, wipe back to the older OS and then restore your backup.

Last edited by Joe1004; 03-17-2009 at 06:35 PM..
Old 03-18-2009, 06:45 PM   #113
River Rat

Carrier: alltel
Default Upgrade

I have read all the horror stories about upgrading the OS on these phones, so I wanted to report a success story. Recently installed .131 on an Alltel phone and have not had the first problem...knock on wood. The install went without a hitch (took about 20 minutes start to finish), got back my media player, no speakerphone blast and all is good. I have noticed the phone is a bit slower to show the home screen when you awaken it, but not bothersome. Hope all have the same results!
Old 03-23-2009, 11:07 AM   #114
rbrill177

I too have experienced the VZW lag with .131, but for kicks I went ahead and re-formatted my media card and my lag issues seemed to have disappeared. I'm on day 2 now of significantly decreased lag. I don't have the speakerphone blast anymore, but I do have the wake-from-sleep lag when using the trackball to wake the device. If I use the spacebar it wakes in less than one second. I haven't tested any GPS functionality because I use a bluetooth on the rare occasions I use the BB Maps. Hope this helps. For the record I did not delete any service books after the upgrade from .127.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:42 AM   #115
JackG058
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrill177 View Post
I too have experienced the VZW lag with .131, but for kicks I went ahead and re-formatted my media card and my lag issues seemed to have disappeared. I'm on day 2 now of significantly decreased lag. I don't have the speakerphone blast anymore, but I do have the wake-from-sleep lag when using the trackball to wake the device. If I use the spacebar it wakes in less than one second. I haven't tested any GPS functionality because I use a bluetooth on the rare occasions I use the BB Maps. Hope this helps. For the record I did not delete any service books after the upgrade from .127.
If you could, I'd be interested to see you test GPS. I without fail will drop satellite connections with .131, but on the original 4.3 OS, I have never dropped satellite connection once connected. I've attempted 3 reloads of .131 too, including two that were complete device wipes.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:51 PM   #116
rbrill177

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackG058 View Post
If you could, I'd be interested to see you test GPS. I without fail will drop satellite connections with .131, but on the original 4.3 OS, I have never dropped satellite connection once connected. I've attempted 3 reloads of .131 too, including two that were complete device wipes.
Ok, Jack, I tested the GPS out on the way into work this morning. I am in the metro Chicago area with good data coverage, so I had no service interruptions during the test. I was able to lock onto the satellites pretty quickly, although it flaked once for about 2-3 seconds and then re-connected. I did find that my BBMaps was MORE responsive to the changes than when I used it several OS versions ago with a BT GPS. I really don't use the internal GPS much at all so I have nothing to compare to. BBMaps did work fine and was accurate. If anything it may be more sensitive than previous OS versions. With all the crazy weather happening in US at least, we need a longer sampling time to rule out atmospheric conditions affecting the GPS signals. Also the handheld's internal GPS is never going to be as good as say a Garmin standalone unit. It is what it is.

Hope that helped.

-Rob
Old 03-26-2009, 07:39 AM   #117
knoakes

A previous version of 4.5 took away the ability to use the media player while the phone is holstered. Can someone check to see if this is still the same with this update?

I went back to 4.3 after the first time I updated and am hoping they fix a 4.5 update so I can listen to music while holstered and finally get html email. Thanks.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:45 AM   #118
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

I don't use the media player (I use Pandora), but can listen to the music while my device is holstered just fine. Not sure if that helps....
Old 03-26-2009, 12:14 PM   #119
JackG058
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrill177 View Post
Ok, Jack, I tested the GPS out on the way into work this morning. I am in the metro Chicago area with good data coverage, so I had no service interruptions during the test. I was able to lock onto the satellites pretty quickly, although it flaked once for about 2-3 seconds and then re-connected. I did find that my BBMaps was MORE responsive to the changes than when I used it several OS versions ago with a BT GPS. I really don't use the internal GPS much at all so I have nothing to compare to. BBMaps did work fine and was accurate. If anything it may be more sensitive than previous OS versions. With all the crazy weather happening in US at least, we need a longer sampling time to rule out atmospheric conditions affecting the GPS signals. Also the handheld's internal GPS is never going to be as good as say a Garmin standalone unit. It is what it is.

Hope that helped.

-Rob
Awesome test though, thanks a lot. I use the SprintNav (which is TeleNav) and on 4.3 once I lock on a satellite I never drop. On 4.5.0.131, with 3 different attempts to install the OS, I can lock on the satellite and then within a few miles drop. It might come right back or it might be several miles before it returns. Really weird. I'm back on 4.3 and used it to track an address way out in the boonies last Saturday, and it never dropped and took me right to the person's driveway.

Anyway, thanks again for the detailed test. I really appreciate that, and am glad you're having better luck than I with the new OS.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:53 AM   #120
kjjb0204
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoakes View Post
A previous version of 4.5 took away the ability to use the media player while the phone is holstered. Can someone check to see if this is still the same with this update?

I went back to 4.3 after the first time I updated and am hoping they fix a 4.5 update so I can listen to music while holstered and finally get html email. Thanks.
Running .119 and can listen to music while holstered with no issues. Music pauses when any notification comes in, then starts right back up. Use it in my car on aux all the time.
Closed Thread