Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 03:40 PM   #21
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Please Login to Remove!

I had to restore my computer back to factory defaults... (I could not fix this problem myself, I had to restore... I very big hit ego more then anything else lol)

I have 2 Hard Drives in my laptop so my data loss was min. but I did have to re-install a bunch of applications.

Since you have Windows XP, it might be different for you. I would see if you have any restore points you can go back to, and make sure yo back up your stuff before hand.

If I stumble upon a Windows XP fix I will post back, but so far I have not. I would prepare for the worst, backup your stuff and try a restore point first.

Edit: Start with a Windows Update if you haven't already, and make sure a USB thumbdrive is in you computer (Not the BlackBerry). If you are having the same problem I am having, then the problem is not with RIM/BlackBerry it is with Windows XP and USB (Storage) Devices.

Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by SteveO86; 04-14-2008 at 03:52 PM..
Old 04-15-2008, 12:40 AM   #22
larzo

Model: 9530
Carrier: Bell

SWAP YOUR CABLE.
Who cares if it worked at the AT&T store. Did you see old pimply use your cable?
Trust me...
I had the same problem and I followed all the sage advice about, do this and do that and it was, alas, in vain. But one night when trying to upload some MP3's, my Sony Adtrac software didn't detect my player and the light went on.
I used my old USB cable for my camera and badda-bing, badda-boom.

Mouse-Shmouse, change that USB cable
Old 04-16-2008, 12:44 AM   #23
TxCatLady1
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 3279CD26
Carrier: Verizon

OK, I'll be dumb here and ask. What do you mean start with a Windows update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO86 View Post
I had to restore my computer back to factory defaults... (I could not fix this problem myself, I had to restore... I very big hit ego more then anything else lol)

I have 2 Hard Drives in my laptop so my data loss was min. but I did have to re-install a bunch of applications.

Since you have Windows XP, it might be different for you. I would see if you have any restore points you can go back to, and make sure yo back up your stuff before hand.

If I stumble upon a Windows XP fix I will post back, but so far I have not. I would prepare for the worst, backup your stuff and try a restore point first.

Edit: Start with a Windows Update if you haven't already, and make sure a USB thumbdrive is in you computer (Not the BlackBerry). If you are having the same problem I am having, then the problem is not with RIM/BlackBerry it is with Windows XP and USB (Storage) Devices.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:48 AM   #24
TxCatLady1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Sorry Larzo,

Tried that and no dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by larzo View Post
SWAP YOUR CABLE.
Who cares if it worked at the AT&T store. Did you see old pimply use your cable?
Trust me...
I had the same problem and I followed all the sage advice about, do this and do that and it was, alas, in vain. But one night when trying to upload some MP3's, my Sony Adtrac software didn't detect my player and the light went on.
I used my old USB cable for my camera and badda-bing, badda-boom.

Mouse-Shmouse, change that USB cable
Old 04-16-2008, 12:55 AM   #25
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Windows Update is what keeps the operating system updated and patches security holes. Microsoft pushes Windows Updates the second Tuesday of every month. It is extremely important to keep Windows updated because hackers are always finding new ways to exploit it to infect users with viruses, etc.

You should have your PC set to automatically download and install updates, that way you don't have to think about it. In XP SP2, click the start button > Control Panel > Security Center > make sure Automatic Updates is turned ON.

If you don't have automatic updates on, you can update manually by clicking Tools in Internet Explorer, Windows Update. Let it scan and tell you what updates you need, apply all high priority updates. Also check for hardware updates, in your case, and that's how to get the USB device drivers updated.

Last edited by daphne; 04-16-2008 at 12:56 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 04-16-2008, 12:27 PM   #26
TxCatLady1
Thumbs Must Hurt

OK, it was late last night! lol I do have it set up for automatic updates, but I manually checked anyway and the only update needed was one for Outlook 2003.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
Windows Update is what keeps the operating system updated and patches security holes. Microsoft pushes Windows Updates the second Tuesday of every month. It is extremely important to keep Windows updated because hackers are always finding new ways to exploit it to infect users with viruses, etc.

You should have your PC set to automatically download and install updates, that way you don't have to think about it. In XP SP2, click the start button > Control Panel > Security Center > make sure Automatic Updates is turned ON.

If you don't have automatic updates on, you can update manually by clicking Tools in Internet Explorer, Windows Update. Let it scan and tell you what updates you need, apply all high priority updates. Also check for hardware updates, in your case, and that's how to get the USB device drivers updated.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:09 PM   #27
SteveO86

HHHmmm..... Windows Update it out then. I would recommend a System Restore, Start -> Program -> Accessories -> Systems Tools -> System Restore... I would bring it back to the latest date available. If that don't work go back to very first system restore you can.

You shouldn't lose any data by doing this but I would backup anything that you want. (That is just me being paranoid)

Follow me on Twitter
Old 04-16-2008, 02:32 PM   #28
daphne

When you manually ran Windows Update, did it show any hardware updates in the list off to the left side of the screen? The main part of the screen normally displays only critical updates. I would check the list for hardware updates for USB devices, and if there are any, install them. If that doesn't work, then maybe System Restore would do it. You'd need to restore to a date prior to when you started having problems.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:58 PM   #29
TxCatLady1
Thumbs Must Hurt

OK, I think I need to throw the computer out. lol I went to System Restore which I have used before and recently. Went to click on the arrow to go to a previous month from April. I clicked and clicked and nothing happened! It's as if it was disabled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO86 View Post
HHHmmm..... Windows Update it out then. I would recommend a System Restore, Start -> Program -> Accessories -> Systems Tools -> System Restore... I would bring it back to the latest date available. If that don't work go back to very first system restore you can.

You shouldn't lose any data by doing this but I would backup anything that you want. (That is just me being paranoid)
Old 04-21-2008, 12:34 AM   #30
daphne

Hmmm... try this. Right click My Computer, click Properties, then the System Restore tab. What does it show? Is the little square by "Turn off system restore" checked or unchecked?

There are some viruses that disable System Restore. Do you have an anti-virus with updated definitions? You should run a scan of the entire system just to check. You might want to try a general computer help forum because the problem is not your Blackberry, it seems to be with your computer. This is a good forum.

Tech Support Guy - Free help for Windows XP, Vista, 98, and more!

Maybe someone else here has more recommendations however.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:05 AM   #31
SteveO86

System Restore was disabled on my machine as well, so I couldn't do a system restore. I had to use the restore disc to take my machine back to factory defaults.

I found this, not sure if you have went threw this or not but here it is BlackBerry Search Results Of course that might not help you since this is a USB driver issue, not just a RIM/BlackBerry issue.

Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by SteveO86; 04-21-2008 at 10:16 AM..
Old 04-21-2008, 10:32 PM   #32
cubanitoloko23
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8530
PIN: 314D10E8
Carrier: Sprint

dude i am not the sharpest tool with a blackberry since i am a relatively new owner, but in computers its a different story. I have been readding you problem and possible answers and there is one thing that they havent mentioned yet but fixed this problem for me on a toshiba satellite laptop about 4 months ago. Go to you laptop's provier page and look for a BIOS update for your laptop model and install it. See the problem is not the cable or phone it is the Bios version on your laptop, it needs an update. "Also if you cant find it in the sony's page try google"
Old 04-22-2008, 12:30 PM   #33
TxCatLady1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hi all,

I'll check into the box unchecked or not. I did have a virus that ZoneAlarm found a few weeks ago. But I think I've discovered the problem. When I put the USB Flash Drive Device Manager is calling it Mass Storage and I know for a fact it didn't use to do that. It says it is installed properly. But I went ahead and did the troubleshooting wizard. At one point it said to uninstall and if it was working properly Windows would recognize it. Well, it didn't! Showed up as a big yellow question mark. I got it back by restoring to the day before. So did some looking on the computer help section of my laptop and I am pretty sure I can use the system and application restore CD that came with the computer to get the driver back up and running for the USB port. I'll try that later this week when I have time. Everybody say a prayer! lol And I REALLY, REALLY appreciate everybody putting up with my whining.

Jennifer
Old 04-22-2008, 01:21 PM   #34
SteveO86

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxCatLady1 View Post
Hi all,

I'll check into the box unchecked or not. I did have a virus that ZoneAlarm found a few weeks ago. But I think I've discovered the problem. When I put the USB Flash Drive Device Manager is calling it Mass Storage and I know for a fact it didn't use to do that. It says it is installed properly. But I went ahead and did the troubleshooting wizard. At one point it said to uninstall and if it was working properly Windows would recognize it. Well, it didn't! Showed up as a big yellow question mark. I got it back by restoring to the day before. So did some looking on the computer help section of my laptop and I am pretty sure I can use the system and application restore CD that came with the computer to get the driver back up and running for the USB port. I'll try that later this week when I have time. Everybody say a prayer! lol And I REALLY, REALLY appreciate everybody putting up with my whining.

Jennifer
Using the CD to restore is what I had to do to fix my computer (I had the same problem with but with Vista). While I hate just restoring/imaging a computer do to an issue sometimes it just more time managable.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 04-22-2008, 08:24 PM   #35
daphne

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxCatLady1 View Post
Hi all,

Jennifer
System Restore must be working if you were able to restore it to the day before. If you know which driver(s) is/are causing the problem it might be possible to copy them from the restore CD to the PC.

Good luck and do keep us posted.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:10 AM   #36
TxCatLady1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well, the box was unchecked, so don't know what the deal is. I just ran a scan a couple of days ago. Anyway, I just really hope I get this resolved because otherwise I love my Curve. I just know it can be capable of so much more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
Hmmm... try this. Right click My Computer, click Properties, then the System Restore tab. What does it show? Is the little square by "Turn off system restore" checked or unchecked?

There are some viruses that disable System Restore. Do you have an anti-virus with updated definitions? You should run a scan of the entire system just to check. You might want to try a general computer help forum because the problem is not your Blackberry, it seems to be with your computer. This is a good forum.

Tech Support Guy - Free help for Windows XP, Vista, 98, and more!

Maybe someone else here has more recommendations however.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:07 PM   #37
TxCatLady1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well, no luck so far. In following the directions I get to the point where I go to the E drive to look at the contents of the Application Recovery CD. It says to click on the folder name of the device you want to reinstall. There is a folder called drivers but you have to click on the plus sign next to it. It then has a list and I don't know what to choose. It occurred to me that I might need to download the BB software first and then maybe the drivers for it would show up in the list?

I also tried connecting my Cingular 2125 Smart phone with its original usb cable. It showed up just fine in the device manager. It really is beyond me why this isn't working.

Jennifer

Also, if I should have to restore the whole computer, how do I even do that? I just have so much stuff I don't want to lose!

Last edited by TxCatLady1; 04-23-2008 at 03:09 PM..
Old 04-23-2008, 03:48 PM   #38
daphne

Edit... ignore this and read my next post.

Ok, my computer has at least 2 driver files from RIM.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers
You probably have to enable 'view hidden files and folders' in the control panel to see that.

I have RimSerial.sys and RimUsb.sys

There are a number of other USB driver files from Microsoft. They are easy to recognize because the file names start with usb... like usbd.sys. If you hover the mouse pointer over the files, it tells you what they are. Some are for cameras, for example.

If you can copy all those usb related driver files from the Application Recovery CD to the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers folder it might work. (assuming you have Windows installed on the C drive.) You might be able to copy/paste or you might have to copy using a command prompt. (I know this procedure because I was trying to fix my virtual machine recently by copying files from the XP install cd to the vm.)

What ever you do, you should create a restore point before messing with drivers, and backup all your data.

Last edited by daphne; 04-24-2008 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: see next post
Old 04-24-2008, 12:46 PM   #39
daphne

I don't know why I didn't think of this before -- rtfm. RIM has a lot of info on dealing with USB problems. Ignore all that in my previous post and check out this article.

BlackBerry Search Results

It has specific instruction for troubleshooting USB connection problems.
If that link doesn't work, go here and search USB. The article and a number of others come up.

BlackBerry Technical Solution Center

BlackBerry Search Results
Old 04-24-2008, 03:11 PM   #40
SteveO86

Since you are also having a problem with USB Thumb drives, I really do not think the issue is with RIM/BlackBerry. I really do believe this is some type of Windows problem/corruption.

Haven't we already uninstalled/reinstalled the BDM? Maybe we should just re-cap all the steps we have been threw so far, just to see where we stand.

Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by SteveO86; 04-24-2008 at 03:13 PM..
Closed Thread