Old 06-06-2007, 02:14 PM   #1
dpocta
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular
Default Body of Email Getting Stripped

Please Login to Remove!

Been using a BB for years.

Recently the body of the emails from one of my regular senders is getting stripped and is blank.

I am baffled.

We use Lotus Notes. I forward from Notes to a POP3 client and pull the emails in on my 8800 from there.

It works with all of the other Notes senders and worked with this sender until about a week ago. Now his emails are the only ones this is happening to.

Please advise...very confused.

Thanks.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:40 AM   #2
buckeye

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon

I'm having that same problem from one particular sender. In my case, this person was replying to an email I had sent them, and I was wondering if it had something to do with the reply feature? Or length of the email? I've been trying to figure it out. I would love to know what the problem is here, or a fix for it.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:30 AM   #3
IanHummel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Add me onto this list. I e-mail'ed my mom and she replied 3 total times and each time she replied, all I got back was my original e-mail except the subject was Re: xxxxxx. When I go to my Yahoo e-mail, the replies are there without any issues. Very odd.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:07 AM   #4
DC-WiFi.com
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon

Yes, same problem here with Hotmail.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:27 PM   #5
bmcent1

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Not sure if its a related cause to you all or not, but I have seen this too for one special case. I use Gmail and BIS. It works fine, EXCEPT for filters I have in Gmail that move certain files to a "folder" (ie, apply a label) and have "skip the inbox" checked.

What's odd to me about this behavior is I would prefer if these messages either came in whole, or didn't come at all. But instead I get the subject/header and a blank body. I suspect it has something to do with timing and BB gets the header but Google moves the location of the message before BB gets the body out. Not sure. It's not a terribly big deal for the case I'm seeing right now, I just filter out these messages on BIS to not be bothered with them. But I hope it is related to these other issues and gets fixed.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:57 PM   #6
IanHummel

That's not the case with me. The one time it happened to me on my Yahoo account the e-mail that was sent in reply to an e-mail that I had sent. The body of the e-mail was my original e-mail, but not the response above it. I know it came through because on my Yahoo account the reply was there. In addition this particular piece of e-mail came from a AOL acccount and it had the AOL stamped message at the bottom. It hasn't happened any other time but this once on three pieces of e-mail from the same account and same service provider (AOL).

No clue what the reasoning behind this is.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:29 PM   #7
buckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanHummel View Post
That's not the case with me. The one time it happened to me on my Yahoo account the e-mail that was sent in reply to an e-mail that I had sent. The body of the e-mail was my original e-mail, but not the response above it. I know it came through because on my Yahoo account the reply was there.

No clue what the reasoning behind this is.
You described exactly what is happening with me. I sent someone at a yahoo account an email. They replied, but all I can see on my BB is the text that I sent them. I cannot see their reply, however, if I view the email from my pc, the response is there. I tested it using my own yahoo account, and the text appeared in my response on the Blackberry. It seems to be just with this one persons account. I wish I could figure out the problem.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:28 PM   #8
Peejay

Carrier: Rogers
Default same problem

The same thing started happening to me a couple of days ago.
My ISP is Sympatico with Bell in Ontario, Canada.

This must be a BIS glitch?
Old 06-07-2007, 02:45 PM   #9
ZeroKool

Model: 8330
PIN: nope

Aside from the thread owner, is anyone else on here using a BES and notes?
In the past this was an encryption problem. sounds like most of you all are having BIS errors though.

BTW, if there's any HTML in these email's at all then they are going to mess up. you are gunna have all sorts of random problems.

Last edited by ZeroKool; 06-07-2007 at 02:47 PM..
Old 06-07-2007, 10:42 PM   #10
martycohen

Carrier: Cingular/AT & T
Default Same Problem with Lotus Notes & BIS

Experienced the blank message body issue last year. RIM corrected in just a few days, much longer for resolution this time. I've asked tech support at RIM to see what the fix was last year when upgrading from BWC to BIS, but no response on that aspect of this issue.

My current workaround is to pull all lotus into gmail & view that on the handheld.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:55 AM   #11
superkame

Model: 8700

YUP.

I have the same problem when viewing the emails on the BB, just started happening last week. The blank email I get is only from user sending me messages through Lotus Notes. Other emails are fine.

Also the email is fine when I check on the computer. Just a blank email when I check on my BB.

Annoying...
Old 06-08-2007, 02:57 PM   #12
IanHummel

So we have issues using lotus notes, AOL and Yahoo correct? The issue I experienced was me sending an e-mail from my Yahoo account on my computer to an AOL address, the AOL address replying and me viewing it on my blackberry. Viewed on Yahoo mail on my comp it's fine. This seems like a BIS issue.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:31 PM   #13
cwosigns

Model: 9300

I've had the same issue. I use my Berry to get my dot Mac email and it happens to me. It hasn't happened in a little while. Not sure if it's been fixed or not.
Columbus, Ohio
Old 06-08-2007, 09:45 PM   #14
sesadler

Model: 8300
Default Blank email body

Thought I'd chime in as well. Seems like a lot of comments putting a 'start' date of this issue of about a week ago, which is about when I started noticing it. I'm on a 7290, and the only emails that get the text stripped come from employees sending me mail via our webmail utility. Everybody elses come in fine. Here's the real oddity: when I logged into 3 accounts today to run test sends (from my mac notebook at home) the messages came in full body; but within 10 minutes when I received email from those same accounts being sent from the boxes they use at work...no dice...blank. Isn't a helpful tool when this happens!
Old 06-09-2007, 09:09 PM   #15
sesadler

Default IE vs. Firefox

did some testing tonight remotely from an account i've been having this trouble from and found the following:
if I login to webmail, compose and send an email using IE...the text body is stripped out when it reaches my BB (it's fine on my notebook).
if I login to webmail, compose and send an email using Firefox...the text body is NOT stripped out and comes in fine when it reaches my BB.
if I login to webmail, compose and send an email using Safari...the text body is NOT stripped out and comes in fine when it reaches my BB.

I did not test this on EVERY box from which employees send me mail that has been messed up for the last week, but based on this mini trial I suspect I would reach the same result.

Does this help shed any light??
Old 06-09-2007, 10:05 PM   #16
holden
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: TOFJAGER
Carrier: Cingular-AT&T-Verizon-Nextel
Cool RTF Outlook Setting????

Quote:
Originally Posted by martycohen View Post
Experienced the blank message body issue last year. RIM corrected in just a few days, much longer for resolution this time. I've asked tech support at RIM to see what the fix was last year when upgrading from BWC to BIS, but no response on that aspect of this issue.

My current workaround is to pull all lotus into gmail & view that on the handheld.
Hi...

An FYI for this thread...

Most Lotus users will experience these types of issues when outside email is sent from Outlook users who use RTF (Rich Text Format). However, this does not explain the blank webmail from Yahoo etc. I know this RTF issue will result in a dat file being displayed in Lotus when people who send email from Outlook and are using RTF.

Last edited by holden; 06-11-2007 at 02:03 PM..
Old 06-11-2007, 08:42 AM   #17
IanHummel

This seems to be an issue all over with MANY different types of e-mail clients on various types of Blackberries. I think RIM needs to be aware of such a problem because with the issue being so broad, the only common denominator is were all on Blackberries.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:33 PM   #18
sesadler

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
Hi...

An FYI for this thread...

Most Lotus users will experience these types of issues when outside email is sent from Outlook users who use RTF (Rich Text Format). However, this does not explain the blank webmail from Yahoo etc. I know this RTF issue will result in a dat file being displayed in Lotus when people who send email from Outlook and are using RTF.
Interesting further testing today:
-on IE using godaddy webmail, the default compose is Rich Text - which comes in blank to my 7290.
- on IE using godaddy webmail, switch to Plain Text - and all is well.
BUT
-my mac's are set to Rich Text compose in MacMail - and they all come in fine!

Is there a setting in IE that may be toggled on or off causing this?
Old 06-11-2007, 03:15 PM   #19
superkame

Model: 8700

IE!!!

You are killing me.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:07 PM   #20
ITAddict

Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default BIS POP3 random body strip

My company just got new 8830 Blackberries from Verizon Wireless for our Executives. We have a POP3 mail server (not exchange) and we use Outlook as the client. I configured the first Blackberry with the user's e-mail address from our mail server using BIS. Most messages are coming in complete, but some are blank or are missing the attachment. Since we are new to Blackberry, I thought I may have done something wrong. It appears this is a reoccurring problem. I saw a similar thread from last year that looked like it got fixed by RIM. I also have an evalutation 8800 Blackberry from at&t that I have configured the same way. I just received the welcome e-mail from this forum on it and the body is blank! This message is plain text.

Has anyone contacted their provider about this yet? Does anyone know what happened last time?
Closed Thread