BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 01:45 PM   #21
DSS597
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Just go buy a $20 USB to Bluetooth adapter and you're in business.

You might be able to set up a Windows dial up connection through the USB cable as well. Again bypassing the Sprint PCS Manager software. Plug in your BB via USB and go through the wizard I explained for BT. When you get to the select modem screen see if your BB shows up in it. If so click the check box next it it and follow the steps. FYI, I haven't tried this. It would be the next step I would take though if I were trying to get online.

Yeah see, I wasn't too far off: http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...tml#post592357

Last edited by DSS597; 08-19-2007 at 07:17 PM..
Old 08-19-2007, 02:46 PM   #22
fizz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

i'm still having a problem installing the software, says a file is missing on my hard drive. anyone else have this problem? i downloaded from sprint.com/downloads.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:43 PM   #23
eazymoneygmc
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830

How do you step up PAM on the Sprint 8830 thru Vista? I searched on the sprint.com/downloads site and couldn't find anything supporting the 8830. Thanks In Advance
Old 08-22-2007, 10:12 AM   #24
fizz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazymoneygmc View Post
How do you step up PAM on the Sprint 8830 thru Vista? I searched on the sprint.com/downloads site and couldn't find anything supporting the 8830. Thanks In Advance
I don't have Vista but I used the one that said downloads for USB devices, then while setup is running I clicked on 8830. However, thats the same download i'm having a problem with.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:26 AM   #25
swells

PIN: N/A
Default Sprint 8830 as a Bluetooth Modem

I just got off the phone with Sprint support and they are telling me that I cannot use by 8830 as a modem using the Bluetooth. They tell me that I have to use the USB. I see many of your postings and it looks to me like many of you have made it work. My laptop and the 8830 see each via the bluetooth, I just cannot get a connection from my laptop to the 8830 to the Internet. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-29-2007, 02:46 PM   #26
SteveMondragon

Model: 9xxx
Carrier: S/ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by swells View Post
I just got off the phone with Sprint support and they are telling me that I cannot use by 8830 as a modem using the Bluetooth. They tell me that I have to use the USB. I see many of your postings and it looks to me like many of you have made it work. My laptop and the 8830 see each via the bluetooth, I just cannot get a connection from my laptop to the 8830 to the Internet. Thanks in advance!

I can connect via Bluetooth with my Dell laptop and my 8830 and use it as a modem just fine, and I also have Sprint. But IMO, the connection is a bit flakey compared to using the USB cable... reminds me of when we used Directway satellite high speed internet, and that was really aggrevating to use. Also it drains the battery faster on the phone. Sure there's a convience factor with no wires to run. But unless you don't need to use the BT option (nice when I'm on the train and it's cramped for space) then I would use the USB cable for the modem connection. In the EV-DO areas, my connection speed is just about as good as say a 1.5 mbps DSL connection.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:13 AM   #27
syncmaster

PIN: 40156C82
Carrier: Sprint (+Nextel 7100i)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juroku View Post
I am in the same boat here. I have installed the Sprint software, and the new desktop manager that came with the 8830 I am getting an "error 678" in Windows XP. I just upgraded to from the Pearl (today).

The Sprint connectio manager sees the phone and all, and when I connect the phone even says indicates "phone as modem", but it disconnects and gives me that error.

Dave
I have the EXACT same problem, only I'm using Vista. I've spent several hours on the phone with Sprint and not had any luck getting it fixed. Have you?

-Charlie
Old 09-19-2007, 04:44 PM   #28
Earlson

Carrier: sprint

I also can't get my sprint 8830 to work as a modem for a Dell laptop with Windows XP. I installed both the BB desktop and Sprint connection manager. The Sprint connection manager doesn't see the BB. Does anyone have a step by step set up guide? I'm not an IT person and can't figure out what's wrong. Thanks, Ed
Old 09-19-2007, 06:51 PM   #29
J2iron

Default Question on Speed

I have been reading the thread about phone as modem and I have a related question perhaps you can answer. I also have the sprint plan and I thought I would try the PAM as soon as I figure out the rest of my BB 8830s features. Just how fast is this service? Is it similiar to dial up or faster?

Thanks

J2iron
Old 09-19-2007, 08:07 PM   #30
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many

Speeds will vary but you should get 400 - 700 kbps download and 70 - 120 kbps upload.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2iron View Post
I have been reading the thread about phone as modem and I have a related question perhaps you can answer. I also have the sprint plan and I thought I would try the PAM as soon as I figure out the rest of my BB 8830s features. Just how fast is this service? Is it similiar to dial up or faster?

Thanks

J2iron
Old 09-19-2007, 08:08 PM   #31
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many

Does your Connection Manager recognize the BB? Did you download the Connection Manager for USB and click on USB when it installed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlson View Post
I also can't get my sprint 8830 to work as a modem for a Dell laptop with Windows XP. I installed both the BB desktop and Sprint connection manager. The Sprint connection manager doesn't see the BB. Does anyone have a step by step set up guide? I'm not an IT person and can't figure out what's wrong. Thanks, Ed
Old 09-19-2007, 10:22 PM   #32
Earlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestcomm View Post
Does your Connection Manager recognize the BB? Did you download the Connection Manager for USB and click on USB when it installed?
No, the Connection Manager doesn't seem to be able to detect the BB but the BB Desktop can find it. I downloaded the Connection Manager but I don't recall that it asked anything other than to install. I'll check again. Thanks
Old 09-20-2007, 01:38 PM   #33
Earlson

The Connection Manager software doesn't ask for a USB setting. It just installs the entire program. I don't know why the Connection Manager can't find the BB as a modem. When I installed the Connection Manager on my desktop pc, it found the BB. How do I get my laptop to find the BB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlson View Post
No, the Connection Manager doesn't seem to be able to detect the BB but the BB Desktop can find it. I downloaded the Connection Manager but I don't recall that it asked anything other than to install. I'll check again. Thanks
Old 11-06-2007, 05:49 AM   #34
avmad

Model: 8310
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMondragon View Post
In the EV-DO areas, my connection speed is just about as good as say a 1.5 mbps DSL connection.
OK, I'm gonna feel stupid when you guys reply to this but in the quote, SteveMondragon talks about his EV-DO connection. Does this imply (or even state) that the 8830 is a 3G enabled device? Are any other BBs 3G enabled? Is this a US only feature or might this be true in the UK as well (that's where I am with Vodafone as my provider).

Thanks.

avmad
Old 11-21-2007, 11:58 AM   #35
Ross0
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: SPCS

I can no longer connect via BT. I get a 692 error that there was a hardware failure. I can't imagine what I'm doing.

Any ideas? I used to be able to connect fine.

Thanks,
Old 12-02-2007, 12:55 PM   #36
mark_mcintyre

Angry Error 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by juroku View Post
I am in the same boat here. I have installed the Sprint software, and the new desktop manager that came with the 8830 I am getting an "error 678" in Windows XP. I just upgraded to from the Pearl (today).

The Sprint connectio manager sees the phone and all, and when I connect the phone even says indicates "phone as modem", but it disconnects and gives me that error.

Dave
I have installed the connection manager. The laptop sees my 8830 (Sprint) and all the info from the connection manager Device diagnostics has the green check marks by it except for the last item which has the yellow triangle exclamation point Network services 1xRtt.

I am still getting the same problem where it goes to connect then disconnects with the error 678 remote computer does not respond.

Has anyone successfully respolved this issue?
Old 12-02-2007, 12:59 PM   #37
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

I believe 678 means there is a conflicting connection (wired or wireless).

Have you upgraded the connection manager software? When you open the software click on Menu, and then Software Updates (obviously needs to have a connection to the internet to work).

I currently have version 3.07.039 (Help/About). With this version, if I an already connected wired or wireless to another network, the Sprint software will come up with a message stating it will override those connections if I want it to.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:03 PM   #38
mvg

No problems getting calls on mine. In fact Sprint just expanded EVDO service, no complaints.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:14 PM   #39
mark_mcintyre

I am using an even newer viersion 3.07.043 and have disconnected my wifi and cat 5 cable.

I was online with a sprint tech support guys last night that was helpful but not a BB expert. He finally gave me the number of "Spring BB Support of 866-403-5491. This number connects instantly to a nice little music on hold song with no identifying info. Do you know anything about this number for support?
Old 12-02-2007, 01:41 PM   #40
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

I've never used that number since my company has a corporate Sprint account and a dedicated support team.

Have they reprovisioned the Phone As Modem (PAM) feature? When I started using my device for PAM I had the same issues and my support rep was baffled. As a last resort she reprovisioned the PAM feature and it worked like a charm. I also had a user I support have the same issues and the same thing worked for his device.