Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 08:08 AM   #1
cdoggLBC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: VZW
Default Cell Rove-in Failures w/T-Mo

Please Login to Remove!

Does any else experience a ton of UMA to GSM hand off failures??

I have my phone set to prefer the GSM/EDGE network. In my house where the T-Mo network is weak, but still there (ie never lost a signal with any non-UMA phones) my 8120 switches over to UMA on occasion... Anytime I start a call on UMA and enter an area of my house with strong GSM/EDGE signal the call will drop as the Blackberry tries to switch back to GSM. The WiFi diagnostics screen confirms this, zero GSM->UMA failures, numerous UMA->GSM failures.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:27 AM   #2
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

If the cell signal is weak that could explain why the handover fails. It would probably work better to set Wi-Fi as the preferred method of communication.

Also, if your handset is off the cell network for more than 4 hours (I think that is the time frame) you're purged out of the system so when you go to roam from Wi-Fi back to the cell network the handover will most likely fail.

Something like that, I remember reading while working for T-Mobile that handover failures could be caused by being off the cell network for x amount of hours. But it's been a while and I've replaced a lot of that information in my brain with newer information since. :P

Dave
Closed Thread