BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 04:43 PM   #1
superdisco
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: FIDO
Default Question for experts about WIFI...........

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

With new wifi on the new blackberry coming out will I be able to use an unlocked blackberry with my FIDO sim card and surf the net? I am asking this because I am currently using the 8700 with a dual sim card and the main sim card is my fido card... I just switch to my rogers card to check my emails as I have only a data plan with my rogers card.....

So ultimately I am wondering since the new blackberry is going to have wifi will I be able to surf the net with my Fido sim card on a unlocked blackberry? For those who don't know Fido does not have a blackberry service.......

Thanks in advance to the experts that will answer this!

Last edited by superdisco; 01-23-2007 at 04:48 PM..
Old 01-23-2007, 05:30 PM   #2
nsimpson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: Rogers

no wifi buddy. and no dual simcard slot on the 8800
Old 01-23-2007, 05:43 PM   #3
caggarcia

Model: 8320
PIN: 242662F2
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdisco
Hi,

With new wifi on the new blackberry coming out will I be able to use an unlocked blackberry with my FIDO sim card and surf the net? I am asking this because I am currently using the 8700 with a dual sim card and the main sim card is my fido card... I just switch to my rogers card to check my emails as I have only a data plan with my rogers card.....

So ultimately I am wondering since the new blackberry is going to have wifi will I be able to surf the net with my Fido sim card on a unlocked blackberry? For those who don't know Fido does not have a blackberry service.......

Thanks in advance to the experts that will answer this!
Assuming that sometime in the future a BlackBerry will be released that has WiFi capabilities, it will be ultimately up to RIM (and the carrier it's released for) as to whether or not they allow WiFi to be utilized for Data (it's rumored to only have WiFi for Voice atm).

If data fetching through WiFi is allowed on a future BlackBerry, then Yes. You will definitely be able to surf the web using your Fido card.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:07 PM   #4
superdisco

nsimpson, Before you reply read my topic... I said the new blackcberry... their are two coming out and one should have WIFI from reading leaks on the web... also I didn't ask if it was going to have a dual sim card slot, I said I am using a dual sim card right now with my current blackberry.....

caggarcia, thanks for that simple answer... that's all I really wanted to know!

Thanks....
Old 01-23-2007, 09:10 PM   #5
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Truth - no one knows.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:12 AM   #6
Lamo

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

The new 8800(indigio) does have WiFi. I have had the chance to play with an evaluation unit.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:00 AM   #7
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
So ultimately I am wondering since the new blackberry is going to have wifi will I be able to surf the net with my Fido sim card on a unlocked blackberry?
As with any rumor there's no telling until the device is released.

For one thing, it's entirely possible that a carrier (ahem, say, Verizon for example) may disable a given feature...
Old 01-24-2007, 01:39 PM   #8
Lamo

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Update:

As mentioned before I was able to get a shot of an evaluation unit from RIM this device spec will be used on T-Mobile UK.

I took a non blackberry provisioned T-Mobile UK sim card and placed it into the blackberry device. I then connected to a T-Mobile UK Hotspot using the Wifi but was not able to browse.

Problem being - No blackberry service on sim card = no service book for blackberry/ 3rd party browser.

I then provisoned the SIM for blackberry activated it on the BES (4.1.2 for Exchange) all service books present. Blackberry browser present and T-Mobile UK Web n Walk browser present. I then deprovisioned the sim card and was able to broswer the web using the WiFi.

The problem you are going to have with your Fido SIM is that you need to activate the device firstly to get the browser, and as long as the carrier you buy it from does not restrict any settings then you should be cool.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:32 PM   #9
superdisco

Thanks Lamo, that is some very informative information......

Thanks...
Old 01-24-2007, 05:29 PM   #10
nsimpson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: Rogers
Thumbs down

Quote:
nsimpson, Before you reply read my topic... I said the new blackcberry... their are two coming out and one should have WIFI from reading leaks on the web... also I didn't ask if it was going to have a dual sim card slot, I said I am using a dual sim card right now with my current blackberry.....

caggarcia, thanks for that simple answer... that's all I really wanted to know!

Thanks....
And I was just stating the the 8800 will not have wifi nor will you have option for dual simcard slots.Im not mentioning any other blackberries due to the fact that there has been nothing offical yet to be annouced. Simple and clear. Also there is a large amount of new posters who dont look at related topics and still assume that the latest 8800 in north america will have wifi, which it will not have.